Watching videos of yourself teaching

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MetalTeacher, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 13, 2016

How often do y'all still have to watch videos of yourself in front of a classroom? (If you do, does it ever get less awkward?)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2016

It's a great tool for coaching and self reflection. One can learn a lot about their teaching, their class by watching a tape of themselves.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 13, 2016

When I taught online, I had to record my live sessions every day. It's a little humbling at times, but I know it's made me a better educator.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2016

I haven't done this since I was a student teacher a decade ago -- but it would probably be a great idea! And nope, I don't think it ever gets easier to watch yourself on video (at least, it hasn't for me!).

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 16, 2016

I hate to hear myself talk on video! I'm so SOUTHERN! lol I sound so much like a hick. haha

7. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 16, 2016

I'm the exact same way! I never notice it when I'm talking but then I hear myself and I'm astonished by how I actually sound.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 16, 2016

I said something today and one of my kids started mocking me... hahaha. Then I realized just how redneck I sounded. They are just as bad as I am! :D

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 25, 2016

The only time I did this was during student teaching, for my TPA4. I hated it, I have an accent, and I know it, and I always forget it. That's not so bad, but I'm sure most of even hate the sound of our voice (it doesn't sound the same as it does in our head), and just seeing myself.
    It was hard to see, shocking, even, but after I watched it twice, I told myself, oh well, this is how I am, this is what people see everyday, they're ok with it, I should be as well lol.

As far as the teaching component goes, I'm sure I'm much more refined now, but I seemed very unsure about things.

10. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 25, 2016

Yeah, I'm still attending college, learning how to be a teacher. I had to teach part of a lesson plan (a unit that I have grown to hate, unfortunately) that I made to my classmates. I have an accent too, a VERY Southern accent, but I never hear it when I'm speaking myself.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 13, 2016

I rarely record myself teaching. I do record the speaking assessments I administer on the iPad because it is easier to listen to the recordings while scoring since I can rewind if needed. I try not to watch, though, because I can't believe how much I fidget, touch my face, etc.

12. Emir Plicanic

Emir Plicanic New Member

Oct 16, 2017

Watching ourselves in a video is not easy. The harsh truth video delivers can be hard to process. But with the right tools like Vosaic it could be helpful.

13. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 21, 2017

I had to do this again for my high school practicum and, compared to the video of me peer teaching from a year ago, I come across as an entirely different person. I went from sounding/acting like a guy emulating a teacher, to actually sounding and acting like a teacher. The voice is still a little awkward, but watching myself is definitely a better experience this time around.

catnfiddle and ms.irene like this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2017

I just recorded a video of myself today facilitating a discussion and I am not looking forward to watching it! I have to write a paper about it so I'll probably have to watch it a few times. It always feels awkward watching a video of myself.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2017

Heres the thing. Knowing you ate being recorded is not your natural self. Ponder that.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2017

So I read this a few times but I am not sure what you mean by this.
    I did watch the video today and I felt like it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be!

17. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 29, 2017

czacza is saying basically that, because you knew you were being recorded at the time, you probably acted a bit differently than you normally would have.

I don't think that was the case in my most recent experience though. For one, I'd done that same lesson in the previous period so it felt pretty natural. And two, I got so caught up listening to and questioning the students that I was momentarily confused when my host teacher handed my phone back to me that we'd been using to record because I'd forgotten she had it.
    (We were reading The Crucible and one of the students, who was playing Reverent Parris, decided to yell all of his lines in a Southern Baptist Preacher accent. Even though the play is set in Massachusetts, 1692. But he usually phones in whatever he's doing, and he was having so much fun with that, I didn't have the heart to stop him.)

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2017

^
    I wonder if I did act differently because I knew I was being recorded! Honestly, I feel like i just forgot the camera was there at some times...but it was really interesting to watch. I was reassured because I only needed 10 minutes of my discussion and I facilitated it for two classes so I figured I could choose the best one. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I realized that I need to build more of a teacher voice. I'm still working on that. I also realized that my students talk sooo quietly. It's almost impossible to hear anything they said in the video which made it hard to keep the pace of the discussion going! Even though it's awkward, I want to keep recording myself because I think it will help me grow as a teacher.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 30, 2017

If you do it on a regular basis you get used to it. When I taught online I had to record myself all the time, so I became accustomed to hearing my voice.