Watcha think?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissH225, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

I was going to do an activity tomorrow with the book The Sneetches by Dr.Seuss. It's a great book to use to talk about tolerance. So of course we were going to read it and do some think pair share discussion, etc. I thought after that each student could get a star and write something that makes them special. Then the student could decorate their star and hang it in the hallway....The goal was to get some reading discussion going and I thought it would good to tie in another get to know each other activity.

yes? no? adjustments? It's with 2nd graders and I'm a little nervous cuz I'm being observed during it and we all know how that makes us feel.

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 20, 2009

It is a great book to show how foolish it is to judge peaple by their looks,skin color,religion.be sure the children understand we should choose our friends by the way they act,not how they look.
    I think the star is a good idea to show people are different and can help each other in many different ways. I like to team my students and ask them to find some ways they are alike and some ways they are different from each other. Be sure to model the activity before sending them out on their own.
    I also like to lead the children to the conclusion that Mr. McBean did nothing illegal.it was the Sneetches own foolishness that led them to give up their money . In fact Mr. McBean did them a great favor by teaching them a very valuable lesson at the end.
    Good Luck with you lesson.

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

I did this exact same thing on Read Across America day. The kids loved making their stars and we actually put them on their bellies. They loved it.