Wasting My Summer Away...What About You?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 7, 2009.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I found this fantastic avatar that really describes my focus this summer. :woot:
    I spend my entire day on my laptop revising lessons, making new power points, visiting A to Z..I need to go outside! This has to stop!
    What are you doing WAY TOO MUCH of this summer?
    (I wonder if anyone will say exercising or cleaning their house. :lol:)

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

I feel the same way. I was watching seasons of my favorite shows all day! I literally have to make a to-do list everyday to ensure I will do SOMETHING!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Considering my last day of school was June 30th...I've been doing absolutely nothing! All my personal items from my classroom is stuffed in my office and I have only made a trail to my desk. I still have a rubbermaid container full of school stuff in my car. I guess tomorrow will be the day that I start going through my school stuff considering I head back on Aug. 10th.

I won't be working on lesson plans b/c I have to wait until I read my new student's files in order to find out how many grade levels they are behind and to see if I can expect them to read, write or even print... Due to the behaviors of some of my students some of them may not have had very much schooling until I get them (I got one student who only attending a total of 14 school days in 3.5 months as he was continually being suspended).

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2009

I've been doing a lot of housecleaning.

It started innocently enough by just deciding to put up a magnetic bulletin board in the office. That led to redoing the entire office. That just made me want to do more, so I've worked for two weeks refreshing paint, rearranging furniture, and redoing rooms. Everything in the house has been cleaned & moved . . . except in the bathroom and master bedroom. Hope to finish those this week.

After that, it's going to be time to start getting ready for school. Sigh.

DH has been gone most of the summer, so I've been able to cleaning without having him freaked out. (He has Asperger's/OCD, so having the house in a cleaning frenzy disorder would have completely put him over the edge.)

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 7, 2009

I play sims 3 all day, watch tv and read. Then I get on facebook and AtoZ and then if I have time I look at the curriculum for the first six weeks.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

I love the way that you are spending your summer:D.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

I guess I'm on the computer way too much too & spending way too many weekends at home or staying close around town. I want to get out far like spending the day at an amusement park or something!

My BF wants to go to the beach, but honestly, I don't care for the beach. It's boring, I don't swim, & it's hot & sticky! I'll go for him one day soon.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

right now I am just relaxing adn going on the computer. Tody I am watching the Funeral coverage of MJ. next week, I will start to cleaning and doing all that stuff that needs to get done :)

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Oh, I'm exercising and cleaning my house all day...:spitwater: - nope couldn't say it with a straight face!

I also started making a to-do list, ask me how many things I can check off already today :whistle:. I was going to get out of the house and go shopping today but we got a really bad rainstorm, so I'm back on the computer, sigh.

11. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 7, 2009

It's too freakin hot here to do anything but stay in the house all day! I still get up early, but basically rotate from the couch to the computer ALL day long......I have gotten a lot of reading done though!

12. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I have been doing a very similar thing, not playing Sims, but instead watching whole seasons of shows on Hulu.com. Maybe I need to look into making a list each day, too.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2009

Today I'll probably be spending my day in front of the TV watching the MJ Memorial followed by all of the news programs that will be talking about the memorial. So far it is a beautiful memorial. I'm so glad that I am home to see it.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

I'm spending way too much time on the computer. I have GOT to get up and get some stuff done. I'm also watching a ton of HGTV and dreaming.

Basically living in fantasy worlds at the moment.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

Watching HGTV or the Style Network, puttering with little household projects, and not sleeping at night. I've gotten out of my regular school-year schedule of getting up at 5 (can you blame me?) and I haven't been able to fall asleep when we go to bed at 10:30. Then DH starts to snore, and I move into DD's old room where I toss and turn most of the night. :yawn:

16. WindyCityGal606

Jul 7, 2009

Why not just get up and watch TV or get online if you can't sleep? That's the night-time luxury of summers off that all us teachers have. I LOVE being up in the middle of te night because I CAN!! ;)

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 7, 2009

Same here! I'll miss him.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

:lol: Kinder!!!

I've been doing alot of nothing...okay that's not true...AtoZ, Facebook, and working on masters online.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I am NOT wasting my summer away for the first summer since I finished my master's!

I made a calendar and I have been writing down what I have done every day, so I make it a point to make sure I have something interesting to write every day.

June 19th was my first day off of school. Since then, I feel like I only "wasted" 2 days. Every other day I have worked on my scrap book, gone to lunch or dinner with a friend, gotten my hair done, went to the spa one day, etc.

20. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2009

DAisha that's exactally what I've been doing!! I've gotten hooked on Dead Like Me!

I've also been working a lot around the house (for real I swear!) because we're putting in an entire bathroom upstairs, adding carpet, windows, tub, sink, toilet, etc... and ENTIRE bathroom. Lots of work and lots of money. I've actually been good at running too lately, when it's not raining however.

Busy... busy... expensive summer so far... :rolleyes:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

:love:
    Zoe-
    Whatever you are doing too much of is ok...we all need time to de-compress, rest, reflect, rejuvenate. Do what makes you happy, what makes you feel good, what makes you grow, what makes you healthy...and some days, that something is nothing...that's ok...mix it up...:love:

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

I've been in grad school- but I've also been reading for pleasure a lot.

Zoe- Do you have comcast?

If so... Have you been having trouble for the last few weeks, but mainly today? The cable and internet were out this morning and tonight the internet has been on and off.

23. WindyCityGal606

Jul 7, 2009

Well hi stranger! Where have you been?
    I haven't watched T.V. today...only movies,,Push and Knowing.
    My internet is SLOW today!

24. WindyCityGal606

Jul 7, 2009

Thank you for the caring words. I'm trying not to feel guilty about spending too much time on one or two things. I really need this summer to just get back to me. :hugs:

25. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2009

I've been frantically working on master's homework. Classes are done tomorrow, and then I start my practicum. Socially, I've been in a wedding out of state, hosted a dinner party with friends, and started dating a new guy. It's been a busy summer. I'm also tutoring! Last summer, was much more relaxing, I woke up watched old shows on TVLand, worked in my classroom a little, tutored a little. It was much more relaxed, but I've enjoyed this summer too!

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

It is amazing to me how little I get done when I have so little to do. When I am working, my house is clean, the laundry is done, and a nice meal is cooked every night. Now that I am home, I can't keep the kitchen clean, the laundry is getting ahead of me, and the whole house needs a good once over.