Washington received a Race To The Top grant to create the state PreK type system.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Dec 27, 2011.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

I am a pleased that the state and the White House have chosen to see ECE for the great job that it does, but a bit fearful of the changes that maybe in store.

Our state will be rolling out a Quality Rating Scale...my program should do fine.

Our state will be rolling out a Kindergarten and PreK communication tool so that the children arrive with files discussing who they are, what they have already mastered and how they find the most success. It is the Creative Curriculum Gold Standard Tool that the state will be asking us to use for this. I am unsure of the cost, but the tool looks to be rather like what I am using...so the transition (outside of funding the change) will be easy for me.

Our state will beginning the sliding fee scale so that all parents can receive funding for PreK from the State.

Our state will be expanding ECEAP-state funded program like Head Start (sort of).

My question is.....does anyone have experience with the state wide PreK world that they would like to share? Either good or bad?

To calm my nerves? ;)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2011

My state definitely does not fund pre-k. However, what you describe sounds like it would be wonderful for the K and 1st grade teachers as well as the students.

However, I guess that this will come with more requirements on what pre-K teachers will need to teach.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

I have no words of wisdom, but my state also got RTTT funds this last round. We are working on a state data system that will follow students k-12, and STEM development.

The good news (I think) is the money. I know firsthand how federal dollars comes with stipulations and accountability, but I'm grateful for the money for my state.

The programs you listed sound good. I'm also glad that ECE is given a spotlight.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

Yes, one of the goals is that there be changes to the requirements that PreK teachers should follow with their curriculum. Again, my program should fair well, we are very aligned now and do so with a lot of community support, school dist respect and so on.

mopar, our state has not funded ECE well up to this point...this is a radical change. We shall see if it works out.

Kat53 what is your STEM development? In WA that has to do with science, technologies and math in education.....interesting addition to the RTTT grant application for ECE if that is what your state means by that?

Has anyone noticed if their enrollments have gone down in private programs after the State wide PreK begins? Each state is different but I was just wondering.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

I have no idea what my state actually plans to do with STEM, but it will most likely be directed at high schools. Probably PD and additional courses students can take.

7. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

Are you in a private school? Here it can definitely change enrollment, especially with the economy so bad. Now PK4 is like any other grade level when it comes to parents deciding on public or private school for their children. Pay for private or go public for free. It depends on what they want, what they can afford, how much they're willing to sacrifice ...
    I understand the money the schools receive is what is keeping some private schools open, however, nothing is "free" and when you receive government money you can bet stipulations come with it.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

I guess that is the part I am most worried about, jlj. I am a stand alone private preschool. I am concerned that enrollment will dip so very low as to push tiny programs out.

I do also believe what I hear you and the others saying about the struggles inherent in accepting the "King's Gold" you then have to do the "King's Bidding".

Kat53....we have a STEM high school, since we don't have Charter Schools in our state this was a great experiment. High school is a leap from ECE so...I don't really know how well it has gone...but I am excited about those changes as well.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 27, 2011

Does anyone use the Creative Curriculum Gold Standard tool? Does anyone know how much it costs?

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

You might want to contact the CDEA (Child Development Education Alliance). They're office is in Jacksonville,FL They're a Christian organization(Directors & teachers may join). Ellen McKinley is the President. She is the most dedicated, knowledgeable person I know that personally works closely with government officials, always fighting for the faith based schools & child care programs here in FL & stays informed on what's going on. I'm sure Ellen or others in the office would be glad to speak with you.
    phone: 904-573-8831
    e-mail: kids@cdealliance.org
    www.cdealliance.org
    Please keep us posted.

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Dec 30, 2011

Gold

You can contact Gold there is an 800 number on their website.

It would depend on your enrollment and how many classes would be using the system.

About the RTT money...I do see that enrollment in private schools will go down because of the FREE aspect that will attract many parents. But, I do think there will always be parents that will pay for a private education for their child(ren). I'm one of them. There will always be children that do not fit into the "public" school arena and a smaller more intimate environment will better suit them.

I have mixed feelings about all the funding that is coming into the EC community. In my area, where jobs are plentiful and diversified, the EC jobs that pay well require a bachelor or master's degree. The compensation is still are not that much higher than without a degree. I do think that requiring more than a high school diploma is a plus for our field. We need better pay for our field.

I also feel that the higher education requirements will create a crisis in our field because many EC programs do not require more than a high school diploma and they provide a lot of slots for families. Putting the requirement of a degree (which I see will most likely be the minimum standard) will reduce the number of available slots for children and families and push out many great programs. People that pursue higher education want better salaries and many smaller programs are struggling with meeting their current payroll.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

EXACTLY! Well said!

I recently saw a job that required a bachelors and 5 years experience for........$10/hour! Insulting!

The compensation has to be worth it. Even the state preschool jobs around here start at $13-17.

On top of that, with budget cuts the community colleges are reeling and have cut classes - 600 classes at my community college alone. There are waiting lists for all the classes so where, exactly, are people supposed to get educated?

It is easy to proclaim educators need more classes but it is not so easy. Also, we need a much better mentoring system - you can have all the classes in the world and still not know how to teach.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 30, 2011

That is the chat we have been having here. Pre-K Teacher 1 are you in my state? Just wondering. The officials that wrote the grant here are "talking" ....perhaps not writing about the need for ALL to become "highly educated". We are seeing that all programs in the ECE world will be compensated as they reach higher degrees. I agree, and companies are paying for classes and employees are working at getting higher pay....the businesses are going to loose ground keeping up.

When I say I like the fact that we are receiving the attention, you are right it is a very double edged sword. I would love to have the parents and people in the store stop telling me "Oh, you play with children all day?", as a private program I would love to have the school respect me (they do, but it takes a LOT of effort on my part. A pack of paper would be nice). But I very much agree that taking the money from the Feds will mean a TON of other issues.