Was not recommended?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by ryhoyarbie, Dec 14, 2009.

1. ChicagoTeach

ChicagoTeach Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

I think at this time of year teachers and administrators are thinking about standardized testing. Any amount of down time dealing with behaviors, or disruptions takes away time from instruction. There is an accountability factor that makes people do and say crazy things at this time of year. It is not really about you, it is all about student performance and high stakes testing. If kids are not getting optimum instruction and you, yourself, are saying that you are doing an "ok" job, then students MIGHT be missing out instructionally. While you are looking at things from your perspective, there are probably other factors making really nice people behave not so nice. I wish you luck. Why not push yourself and make these next two weeks outstanding instead of "ok". You deserve it. You have put in the time and you know what, the kids deserve it. All the best. You can do it. Leave your comfort zone, and become crazy great!

2. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

That is a total bummer. You don't deserve that. Just like you would never tell a student something like that. Maybe the P was having a bad day or something on her mind, but that's no excuse.

3. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

Thanks for support. The big standardized test in math for the 5th graders is coming in less than two weeks and I'm sure that the principal wants her school to be exemplary again just like last year. But in this day and age it's all about the standardized test and scores, and in my opinion, if you're not at a high level teaching the students, then you're not something they want.

I'll try my best for the next two weeks and see what happens. If not, then I've wasted about 4 to 5,000 dollars and about 4 years trying to make this work.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

Please don't give up on your dream. Before you dump your education, let's brainstorm how you can use that degree to further your passion of teaching. I'll bet many members here would have good ideas for you.

5. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Mar 26, 2010

There are many different environments that you can work in than your current setting. Aside from other demographic areas (it sounds like you are in an area where the principal is expecting you to be teaching as if you are a seasoned teacher who has many years under your belt), you should consider working with children in youth centers, group homes, etc. There are many different ways you can educate children besides teaching in a classroom!

6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 26, 2010

The 4 areas I'm still struggling with are A.) student engagment B.) student assessment C.) energy level D.) delivery of lesson. If I haven't figured out how to do these things by now, then it's my fault.

The teacher I'm assigned to told me this morning the principal wanted to have the teacher teach science for the first 45 minutes and then have me teach the last 45 minutes since the students have a standardized test next month and want to make sure the students are prepared and know the material in addition to the teacher also teaching math because the students are also taking a standardized test in less than 2 weeks. But since I really wasn't for sure what we were going to do today for science, I wasn't prepared that much and ended up observing that lesson and just helping out with math.

I feel now more than ever that this is a complete waste of time and that I'm not going to improve in those 4 given areas despite the observations of other teachers I see and the feedback I get. If you don't get it then you don't get it.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

i'm sure you can do it - you say you weren't prepared today. Why didn't you know what you were supposed to teach? It is critical to be prepared. Maybe we need to step it up a little.