Was my sub career ruined today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Oct 22, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 22, 2011

I have been in a depressed stupor tonight based on events that occured nine hours ago.

I had just finished my day teaching at a high school in my best paying district.
    Upon turning in the keys, the secretary said that the Vice Principal wanted to talk to me.
    I was brought into a large office with both Vice Principals, one of each gender. I was acoss from the woman, while sitting next to the man.
    She said that a complaint was made by a student regarding something inappropriate done by " a sub", and they wanted to know my whereabouts when the allegation took place.
    She asked if I had 1st lunch. I hesitated because I actually had two lunches and two prep periods with 2.5 hours between classes. I told them what I did during this time, but the main concern seemed to be 1st lunch, which was only the first 30 minutes of my 2.5 hours.
    I was actually off campus for the first hour, but in my nervous state did not point this out as part of the timeline. I hope they figured it out.
    She never directly said that I was the one being accused, but I doubt there were that many male subs.
    I tried to get details as to what the allegation was, but they would not provide any. All I remember was the word "inappropriate".
    They had me sign a statement saying where I was. I briefly covered the 2.5 hours.

They were quite aloof.

When I got home, I called to see if a job that I had been requested for at this school on November 4 was still in the system.
    Unfortunately, when I called the subfinder, I was given a cancellation notification.

I have no idea what I could have done, I do not think I was the actual accused since I was not on campus during this time.

However as a sub with no representation, I am afraid the district will simply get rid of me rather than bothering to learn the truth on my behalf.
    I will be presumed guilty as a matter of convenience since I will have no legal recourse.

Do I need to start looking for a new career? Will this ostensible accusation follow me around? Do I have the legal right to know what exactly the allegation was?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2011

Can you prove that you were off campus-- do you have a timed cash register receipt or something?

Keep in mind: you're not the only one they're interviewing. The actual person they're looking for will also be interviewed. They may have cancelled all the subs for those potentially involved in the meantime.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2011

Or it could simply be that the teacher changed their mind about taking off November 4th. It happens.

I would keep a close eye on subfinder and see if you are still able to view jobs for this district. If so, you haven't been taken out of the program and I would view this as a good sign.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2011

What was the wording in the statement you signed? Was it 100% truthful and complete? Did you get a copy?

(And how on earth did you get a 2.5 hour break??)

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2011

I think if you are being accused of something, you need to directly be told what it is. It seems they are doing their own investigation of sorts, and if they haven't directly accused you, then they haven't quite decided it was you. It sounds like this is going to be a matter of waiting. I can see how a cancellation of a sub job might be worrisome to you since you don't know the reasons behind it. I think you really should have told them you were off campus. Does the school keep a sign-out sheet or something for staff leaving campus? If so, then there's the documentation you need.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2011

:yeahthat:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2011

What an unnerving situation! I sure hope whatever this is will blow over & it's proven that you did nothing wrong.

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

I appreciate the comments thus far.

Unfortunately, subs do not have sign in and out sheets, so there is no evidence that I was off campus. If needed, all I can do is demonstrate the strong probabilty of being off campus.

Having 2.5 hours off is extremely rare.

The teacher I subbed for had a 5th period prep, and served another function during 4th period that was student free. I therefore had two prep periods plus both lunch periods.

At this school, subs are required to cover for other teachers during their prep time roughly 75% of the time without additional pay. It is part of the job. So not being needed for either free period was indeed strange.

At brunch break, I asked the sub secretary if anyone needed my services for either 4th or 5th periods., I was both surprised and delighted she said no. I did not directly state that I was leaving campus, but I gave her my cell phone number to reach me if something came up. Hence the implication is strong if she is questioned.
    I do not have my restaurant reciept, but I do remember the waitress who might remember my being there at the time in question. Of course, this would be very flimsy evidence and not likely considered.

Also, I was on campus for the first five minutes of the 30 minute lunch. This was to use the restroom and walk to my car. I am therefore not totally off the hook.
    I did get a job for tomorrow at a different school in this district, so I was not ousted from the system as of yet.

I can only hope this blows over.

10. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 24, 2011

Do you have a sub handler? (supervisor?) Mine knows what (if any) schools a sub has been "excluded" from. If it wasn't illegal, I doubt you'd be fired, perhaps just excluded from that school.

How about calling the sub secretary? Do you know her well? Don't ask for details, but just tell her you want to know if you have been excluded from that site.

11. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

There is a new sub secretary this year.

I wanted to speak to her today about an unrelated matter pertaining to this school. She seems very kind and accomodating.
    She has not likely been informed of my situation, which is good news.
    If the worse that happens is that I am banned from this one school, I can deal with it. It should not cost me more than a couple days of work a year. My greater concerns are the next three possible steps.

1. Being banned from the district.
    2. Being banned from my other districts after notification.
    3. Having this as part of my job history, thus making it hard to find another job, even outside of education.

If I was banned from this school, and that was the end of the matter, I would feel betrayed, but relatively speaking I would be relieved.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2011

It honestly sounds to me like you are going way off the handle here. There is no evidence to suggest that you've been let go from the district or that you career has been ruined. If you're still getting jobs, then just focus on those.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2011

If you didn't do anything wrong, then if go about business as usual. Lesson learned, next time notify the office if you leave.

14. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

I wish I could agree, but the worst case scenario is devastating.

If I am let go, it would not happen overnight. There would be more investigating and probing beforehand. Therefore, any "evidence" could take a long time to surface.

I will feel a little more relaxed everyday, but I won't be entirely relaxed for another couple months.

I will not allow it to interfere with my day to day activities, however.

What will be will be.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2011

Do you think it's possible that you did something wrong? Being so worked up about this gives the impression that you have a guilty conscience. That may not be true, but it's how it's coming across.

16. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

I know I did nothing wrong, but I am concerned about how harmless acts can be percieved.

Did I scratch myself of pull up my pants on the way to the car that could be percieved as perverse ot intentional?

Did I mumble something to myself that was innapropriate and overheard?

Did a student make something up because they were not on my good list?

Schools need to protect themselves, so solving problems they percieve as serious can be done as simply as letting someone go, especially since that person has no union or contract.

I seriously doubt I am the offender, but my innocence might not let me off the hook if the school or district percieves they have more to lose by dropping me than keeping me.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 24, 2011

As a male substitute, I can vouch that this is also one of my greatest concerns.

If a teen or pre-teen girl accuses a male teacher of harassment or obscenity, the male teacher will usually be presumed guilty until proven innocent...especially if he is a substitute rather than the regular teacher with an established history.

I began my LTS today in a middle school. During an afternoon class, while taking role, I noted one of the girls was wearing a Justin Beiber shirt. Her friend (sitting in the next row) immediately said "Why were you looking at her shirt?"

I wasn't, of course. I had just noticed her shirt was a "Beiber shirt" during lunch.

So an innocent attempt to make a bit of a connection to a new student led another girl to try and make something more of the situation than it really was. Fortunately, the friend was also half-joking, but something as simple as that could lead to a male sub being excluded from a school and possibly even from a district if the parent decided to take the complaint to the school board.

With all due respect, female teachers do not face the same level of automatic suspicion when such rumors are raised.

So I can certainly understand why oldstudent is wondering if some student just decided to make up something about him because she didn't like him or she wasn't on his "good list". That is a very REAL possibility faced by male subs in middle and high school every day...and I would imagine the same is true for elementary school as well, although the kids there usually have not obtained the level of deviousness and manipulation exhibited by many teens and pre-teens.

18. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 25, 2011

I understand how you feel. I had an accusation made by a teacher around a week after I subbed for her. It was not on the level of what you experienced but it irritated me. A week after I subbed for this teacher, I was subbing in the room next door and had a problem that I went to her. I had never talked to her before. I mentioned that I had subbed for her the previous week and she said something like, "Oh you the one my students told me about. They said you kept leaving the classroom and were never around." I replied that it couldn't have been me. She said, "Yes, it was you." I was shocked. I ate lunch at her desk and never left the room except to go to the bathroom. I doubt that she mentioned this to the principal but I would be surprised that she mentioned it to other teachers. BTW, this was in a HS. I will pass this teacher in the hall and she sometimes ignores me. I also agree with the potential for false accusations for male teachers. I sub a lot for learning support and there is the potential where you could find yourself alone in a room with only one other student. You are defenseless against any type of accusation such as inappropriate comments or worse.

19. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Oct 25, 2011

Something close to this happened to me last year. I was hired to LTS for my Mom while she underwent a serious surgery to remove cancer that had degenerated 2 vertebrae. When she almost died, I was removed from the position via a note thrown on the floor. Since my Mom was unable to do anything (having tubes in her neck, mouth, catheter, etc) I went to the hospital with a notary and she wrote a statement saying I was allowed to take items out of her room that were hers. I went with the union president to clean house, and I was fired the following day. I was accused of stealing money out of the sub's purse (I work part time at a bank...please), and telling the kids to not listen to the new substitute. Eventually what happened was that I was allowed to come back to three schools, and I was not allowed to sub in any school my mom worked in. It was totally idiotic. I am still subbing in this district and 4 others, and I am doing quite well.

I think you are safe. However I would not have signed ANYTHING they gave me. Just a personal belief. Good luck

20. brencalla

brencalla Rookie

Oct 25, 2011

Sure it's a stressful situation to be accused of inappropriate actions, but at least you're making a ton of cash... Oh, wait...I thought I was still on the Int'l Monetary Fund's message board. Darn tabbed browsing.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2011

huh?

22. brencalla

brencalla Rookie

Oct 25, 2011

It was a little story in the news. Strauss-Kahn? Anyone? Oh, never mind. It's not a good joke if you have to explain it.

23. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 25, 2011

This situation is really why I don't mind camera's in the room. We had a discussion on this a few weeks back. I forget the camera's are there most of the time. But I do feel I'm protected from a student's accusations.

24. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 26, 2011

You should know what you are being accused of if there is even a question of being dismissed from the school. I would not allow that to happen until I heard the entire story and was able to defend myself.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2011

:eek::wow:

Not quite so funny for the OP, I'm sure.