Was I screwed out of working at this school

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by CapAIM, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CapAIM

CapAIM Rookie

Mar 21, 2012

Over the past few months, I had been subbing at a middle school. Most of the days there, things have gone extremely well, all of the kids behaved, we got through the lessons and assignments that were left by the regular teacher and things were under complete control.

For the most part the staff and the faculty there was nice to me except for a small clique of teachers. The last day I worked there, I left my classroom to go upstairs to the teacher's lounge during my break but when I returned, I saw a group of teachers sitting in my classroom, as they normally do when the teacher I was covering for is in, eating their lunch with the door locked. When I knocked on the door, they ignored me and did not allow me into the classroom until they were finished. When they left, they did not even say a word to me.

During my last period that day, I had a group of the students run out of the class before the dismissal bell rang. I tried to get them to stop but to nobody would listen to me. I called the AP, took down names and explained what had happened to do the Dean. A month later, after not getting called in the same period of time, I called the payroll secretary to find out why I was not getting called and she told me that I was no longer allowed to sub at their school again because she was told by one of the regular teachers that I had willingly allowed a class to leave before dismissal. This came as a surprise to me since I did everything I could to prevent that class from running out of the room. In all the schools that I have gone to, I have never allowed a class to do that. Is it possible that this group of teachers might have embellished what had happened in order to run me out of the school?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 21, 2012

Wow, I would call the AP and get him/her to vouch for you. That does not seem right.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

I agree with trying to figure out what happened and either talking to the administration or the person in charge of subbing to see if there is anything that you can do.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

You don't have enough information to assume that the person who reported you was one of the teachers at lunch. If you want more information, you should arrange a meeting with the appropriate person (the school principal, someone at sub services, or someone else depending on your chain of command).

6. El sol

El sol Rookie

Mar 21, 2012

There's envy everywhere. So of course it also applies to the realm of education.

Subs have it bad since every single day they have to give it their all for perfection. It's a shame we have regular teachers out there ready to screw up up-and-comers out of jobs and sometimes the profession just because somehow along the way they went sour about what they do for a living and want to spread a negative vibe within depts/schools/districts. It makes sense, in a way, to have teachers like that. That's why subs have to strive for perfection and appreciate this occupation before they move on to become regular teachers.

For every ill-intentioned teacher out there, there's many good teachers appreciating what subs do on a daily basis.

If you love what you do, fight for fairness.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2012

Can I just say that I find that to be absolutely revolting behavior?

Call the secretary and ask for an appointment with the P, AP, and dean you spoke with right after the incident. You need to get that straightened out.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2012

I'm so glad I'm finally not subbing anymore. The thing w/ subbing is that since people don't know you, you can rather easily be "banned for life" from their school for 1 minor incident & the regular teachers who work there probably have had incidents like that happen to them often.

The thing about the clique of teachers locking you out is horrendous, not to mention very immature. Any time I leave my room, which has my purse in there (even though I leave my wallet in the car glove compartment) & I know kids aren't supposed to be coming in for a while, I lock the classroom door if I leave to do things. If you had done that, THEY would have been locked out & not been able to do that to you. Try to lock your door from now on whenever you leave to do something.

9. CapAIM

CapAIM Rookie

Mar 21, 2012

Thing was I did lock the door. One of the teachers had a key

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 21, 2012

Was there a window where they could see that it was you that was knocking? If not, they may have thought it was students they were ignoring. It may not have been a personal slight to you.

I never would have believed the nastiness and competition and one-upsmanship that goes on among teachers. You even see it on this forum from time to time. When I was doing my field work and student teaching, everyone seemed so cooperative and helpful. Subbing is a different animal altogether and people can be vengeful for no reason.

Since you actually did follow up and explain the situation at the time, that should have cleared you. Obviously the teacher who claimed you let the kids go before the bell told someone other than the dean you spoke to. If you really want to go back there, follow up with the sub desk or whoever does the assignments and let them know the full story - not that you suspect a teacher of blackballing you - but the fact that the kids ran out and that you did your due dilligence by letting the dean know the situation at the time. Inform them that it was not your choice to dismiss the class, but that it was a few defiant students acting of their own choice and against your instruction.

11. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Mar 22, 2012

As a sub, I have been to some buildings that are "anti sub" for some odd reason. And yes there are some teachers out there out to "gets' some and others who assume that you don't have the education to be a "real" teacher which drives me nuts. At this day and age when jobs are hard to come by NO ONE should assume the level of anyone's education. We are all out to survive. I always feel like screaming that from the mountaintop in some buildings I go to. Hang in there and make the calls to straighten things out.

12. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 22, 2012

Lovely role models, really.
    Does the principal know that he has children teaching children?

Revolting behavior. I'm apalled.

13. CapAIM

CapAIM Rookie

Mar 30, 2012

Update

Here's an update, since that time I haven't had any contact with anyone from that school.Not because I wouldn't want to go back, but mainly because I've been too busy. Since that incident, I've started subbing at three other schools that regularly request me. Each with faculty members that are very nice and helpful to me. One of these schools, might even be considering me for a regular teaching job next year.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 30, 2012

Excellent! It sounds like a case of their loss, your gain. Glad you moved on so quickly and successfully.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2012

What a bunch of b!tche$!

Good for you...onto bigger & better things! :thumb:

16. azure

azure Companion

Mar 30, 2012

Why do you assume all subs are trying to become regular teachers?