Was I not hired?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by INhunter, Jun 14, 2013.

1. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

Hi all. I'm under a significant amount of distress as I type this. I received my teaching license last month after completing my student teaching experience. I am in the science field. During the middle of March the Jr. High Science teacher went on an unexpected maternity leave early. My host teacher, who teaches high school science, and the administration of the school decided that I should finish out my student teaching experience teaching Jr. High Science which concluded on April 19th. As the Jr. High Science teacher would not be returning for this past school year, I was approached about finishing up the entire school year teaching Jr. High Science. Secretly I did not want to, as I wanted to focus more intently on searching for jobs in teaching, but I agreed to. As expected I became more attached to the students and the staff at this school. I grew to LOVE this school. It was SO hard for me to leave the school at the end of the year that I cried when I got home. I was a kid magnet, and I felt like one of the family of the school. (Two kids designated me as there favorite teacher at the honors banquet, and I was simply a student teacher/long term substitute.)

Fast forward to last Wednesday. I learned that the Jr. High Science teacher would not be returning, and that the job had been posted. I immediately applied and presented my materials in person to the principal. I had made plans to be away from the area for a time this summer back in March, but when I heard about the position opening up I delayed my flight by two weeks.....heck, I would stay the whole summer if I had too. The principal had told me I would not need to stay, since she already knows me and it wouldn't jeopardize my chances, but I'd rather stay here in the meantime. In fact, I went to an interview yesterday and I have another one next week.

I gave my materials to the principal on Thursday of last week. It is now Friday of the following week, and I have heard nothing. What really is distressing and depressing me is that a teacher from another school district, my host teacher told me, was also applying for the job. She is the wife of one of the school's football coaches (where I student taught/long-term subbed) and has more experience than me. Right now I feel crushed :( because I feel that classroom has my name written all over it. The kids liked me, the staff got along fine with me and I can only hope liked me, and my host teacher KNOWS I've been wanting that job because I liked the school so darn much.

As I said, a district I applied to last week is already interviewing me next Wednesday, but I have heard nothing from this district I student taught at and did a long term subbing position at. I was certain I would be a shoe-in. However, and I hate bringing this up, but does being married to the right people matter? Can nepotism matter in hiring teachers?

I have so much enthusiasm and energy for the students I have already gotten to know. I have such great plans and would be more than willing to do extra-curricular activities. In fact, I even volunteered for to be on their National Honor Society selection committee and went to a couple of sporting events. I thought all that stuff mattered. ;( I mean from March to May I was leading the whole Jr. High science curriculum.

Should the school have contacted me by now, or are they just being slow? I mean, when the school needed me to stay, I was there for them. They know I put in several nights in staying late to do planning and got there early in the morning.

Teachers, any thoughts??? :(

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 14, 2013

It's only been a week. Give it some time.

And don't get too upset. If your host teacher gets it, there are many reasons why she should. AND, it will mean there is an opening at HER school ;)

And yes, being married to the right person definitely makes a difference.

I can name three people right now that have their jobs because their husbands are coaches. The school wanted to hire the coach and the coach said he'd go only if they found a position for his wife too. It happens a lot.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

The above was expected of you and doesn't mean much other than you are reliable (being reliable is important though).

Yes, being married to the right person matters.

But, a decision hasn't been made, yet. So, don't give up all hope.

You likely are a competitor for the job. But, if the other teacher comes highly recommended, her football coach husband may have some pull.

But, her old school will likely have an opening.

Don't lose hope. Things still have a chance to work out.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 14, 2013

I had applied for a few jobs this year that I thought I could have easily gotten an interview for. I'm originally from the area, graduated from the district, know teachers and parents, etc. It turned out that the school never did any interviews because they had to shuffle people and rehire others. It's not what the district intended to happen, but it's what did happen. You just never know! It was a long and stressful few months of waiting to hear. I wanted it so badly and was devastated when it was all over. Just being realistic and speaking from experience...NEVER assume you are a shoe in!!! It just breaks your heart even more.

Every school is different and the hiring process is very frustrating! First of all, relax and be patient! There could be any number of reasons that they have not contacted you.

Coming from the administrative side (I'm in grad school for my principalship) a school should be looking to hire the most qualified person and the best fit. However, it can, indeed, come down to who you know or who you are married to.

We just hired our middle school principals wife as a K teacher. It was very tricky and our superintendent sat in on the interviews to ensure that she was the best candidate for the job. She didn't interview as well as we had thought, but we were able to hire her because we reinterviewed the other candiate for a different position that we thought would fit her better.

Try to stay positive and just go with the flow!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2013

We have to have jobs posted for 30 days before we can hire anybody.

I was in a similar situation at the beginning of my career. I had completed a six-week maternity leave for a high school English teacher. As soon as she returned, another high school English teacher left on medical leave. I finished the year (12 weeks) for her. They had a position open that year, and I applied. I did the formal interview, and then I heard NOTHING. Two weeks later I ran into someone from the hiring committee and causally asked about it. That's when I was told that the job had to be posted for 30 days before they could legally hire anyone. I was their one and only interview . . . but we had to wait it out.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2013

I think it could go either way, honestly. A veteran teacher with a connection to the school seems like it might be a slightly safer bet than a brand new teacher, even one with a good track record at the school. Even so, it's really hard to say.

I think that you should follow up with the school next week in the form of a quick email or phone call. I also think that you should continue applying elsewhere.

Keep us posted.

8. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

Thanks all for replying. It's appreciated.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

Sometimes it's who you know that gets you the job!
    I have seen it happen and it's sad for those who
    are trying to get in BUT it's life, SO accept it, AND move on.
    Focus on your next project and place it in God's hands.
    He knows what's best for you.:hugs:
    If it's meant to be, you'll get it.
    Good luck!
    Rebel1

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 15, 2013

I feel your paint, INhunter!! I interviewed for a fifth grade position two weeks ago on Monday and was told by someone on the committee I was their first choice. It took TWO WEEKS for my references to get called and an offer to be made. During those two weeks, my anxiety was through the roof, and that was with a verbal confirmation that I was the first choice. If I hadn't known, I probably would have needed to hibernate for a while so the rest of the world wouldn't have had to deal with me for that time period.

The wait is the hardest part. Even when you think you're a shoe-in, things can go wrong. References can flake. Background checks can bring up deal breakers. This can happen to anyone who applies, even the coach's wife. The one thought that brought me through the entire ordeal (which lasted about 2 months from application to interview to offer) was my faith that the district was not giving me the job; God was. I don't know if you are a believer, but seriously, that kept me from a few panic attacks. If God wanted me to have that job, nothing was going to take it from me. If God wanted me somewhere else, even the cutest interview outfit and best list of answers and most energetic spirit wouldn't get it for me.

Hugs, and positive thoughts sent your way. The whole process is nerve wracking.

11. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jun 15, 2013

I was in the same position a year ago. I was a long term sub in the fourth grade, and a sixth grade position opened up. Everyone thought for sure I'd get it, until a full-time fourth grade teacher with years of experience went for the position. Of course, she got it. Then her position opened up... and I put in for that. Again, everyone was sure I'd get it. But they gave it to another long term sub who had about a month's worth of experience over me. I started applying elsewhere, and unexpectedly got a call for an interview at a neighboring school district. Right after I did that interview the first school district called me back for a high school position. Right before I was supposed to interview, the second school offered me the job. I took it, canceled the interview, and haven't regretted it since.

Something always works out. I hope your experience isn't like mine. It was rough for me for a couple months going through all that....

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 15, 2013

Don't worry too much about it. I think wherever you go you'll still be able to connect with kids. After all kids are in every school. I think it's best the first few years to not really get too set about a specific position. As a new teacher your position will be very uncertain no matter where you go, and you shouldn't be too surprised to be moved around to different schools in your district or perhaps not even hired in your district. Even veteran teachers face major possibilities these days of not being rehired. It's all about seniority.

If you're a good teacher you will find a job. I think it's best to be adaptive. =]

13. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

Thanks for all the comments on here. Yes, I am a religious person, but I'm definitely more in a dry spell. It's a very tough spot for me, because this school is very close to my hometown, and I can't imagine wanting to stick around here if I do not get it. The memories of it will be too painful and embarrassing. It's just several times I've heard the principal of the school talk about how she wants us all to be a family, and how she has faith in her staff.......but I guess that doesn't include me?

Another neighboring district won't take me because I used to sub there all the time, and they want me as a sub, not as a teacher.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 15, 2013

:yeahthat:

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 16, 2013

Check the Board of Ed meeting minutes

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

Not a bad idea, but also not how it works everywhere. It doesn't work that way in my district. The BoE has no input in hiring decisions.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 16, 2013

Not necessarily true.
    Schools make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons. If this school doesn't choose you, it may really have nothing to do with the principal not liking you. She may really value you, but that is still no guarantee for a full time job and contract being offered to you.