Was I in the wrong

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Myname, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Mar 10, 2006

OK we had our first accident at our place yesterday. My director being out of town. The other teacher working with me saw it happen. I had her fill out the accident report since she saw it happen, I had her fill out the state report as well since stiches were need in the child. I faxed it to the state. I also mailed a hard copy. Have to have it there by 24 hours.

In the afternoon I decided I needed to call the teacher who will be opening in the morning and give her a heads up as to what happened so when that parent comes in an mentions it to her she is already aware. I tell this teacher that I was not there when it happened so and so saw it happen. I said to this teacher this is what I was told happened. I then told her you know I was not there so and so saw it happen she can give you the exact story.

OK around 5 a parent who we all love and chat with and have a great relationship with asks where this particular child is because she knows he is a late pick up. I looked to the other teacher working with me and she tells her what happened. I had said that this teacher saw the whole thing I was not there when it happened.

NOw the teacher I called (the one to open in the am )called the teacher I was working with to find out what happened. Then she finds out from this teacher that we told this one parent. She then asked her if I said to the parent that I wasn't there when it happened and she told her yes. Well this is really ticking off the one teacher who is to open an she calls me at home in the evening and yells at me saying YOU DON'T say you weren't there you don't tell parents that. That makes us look bad. When I got off the phone with you this afternoon all I could think about was how you kept telling me you weren't there. And how bad that sounds and you shouldn't say that it makes it sound really bad. Like you left or something. She asked me if we told other parents I said NO why would they care it doesn't pertain to them.

Have you ever worked with a person like this?

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 10, 2006

Well who is this other teacher, surely you dont have to answer to her. I think the way you handled it was fine, you were honest. Simply say to her, I handled this professional and I called you out of courtisy. Let her know you did not like how she spoke to you. And if there was a problem in the way it was handled it is the directiors job to approach me about it. Yes, I have worked with people like this. I am very kind and repectful of people. But I have learned you cannot let people treat you badly, it will eat you up. Not to mention every chance they get they will degrade you. You need to stand up for yourself.

4. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 10, 2006

I have had this happen... kind of. A child was pushed off the slide and I didn't see it. But I did tell people I didn't see it. In fact, I was right in the middle of tying a shoe when the boy came running to me. You can't see everything at once. Surely another teacher would understand that, and surely parents will, too.

5. buterfly

buterfly Companion

Mar 10, 2006

What I say to this is Whatever! You can't always be there. Teacher's are humans too. What if you were in the restroom, what if you had to attend to something somewhere else? You did handle it in the appropriate manner. Do you think you made your program look bad? If you don't, then I wouldn't be concerned with what the other teacher thinks. Some people just have to put their nose where it doesn't belong and like to start arguments out of nothing

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2006

Tell her to get a grip and things happen. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head, then obviously you can't see everything that is going on. As a parent, I would see nothing wrong with it if you didn't see it. Accidents happen, and even if you were the only teacher in the room, I understand things still happen and you can't always see everything. Is this person a parent? If she is, I'd hate to see how she would react to her child getting hurt. She would be one of those who get all worried if her child even sneezes.

7. sjohnsmor

sjohnsmor Rookie

Mar 11, 2006

I would say as long as the parents of the child who had stiches are okay with everyone, then who cares. Most parents (and certainly other teachers!) understand that you can't always see everything. Sounds to me like the other teacher just has some other issues, and this was the way for her to "vent" so to speak. I think you did the right thing.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 12, 2006

My concern here is--why were you telling another parent what happened?

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2006

She wasn't asking our opinion on her talking to another parent, she was asking our opinion on how the other teacher reacted over her statement.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 13, 2006

Sorry, I am having a hard time following the explanation. I guess I am basing my response to my reaction to the explanation. From my understanding, Myname was present, but did not see the accident. That is different than not being there. Was there a misunderstanding due to "what was said was not what was heard."

11. Judie Martinez

Judie Martinez Rookie

Mar 13, 2006

Big deal that you didn't see what happened. You'll make yourself crazy trying to keep tabs on what every kid is doing at any given moment. Kids get hurt all the time......my son got bit by our dog about a month ago. I was in the basement doing laundry, they were in the kitchen....life goes on. I do agree with blue though, be careful what you say to the other parents, at least until the family of the child who was hurt has an opportunity to decide how much of it they would like to share with others.

12. smiles_of_three

smiles_of_three Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

I agree with Judie, it's the parents chioce to tell other people, not the teachers. All you should of said to them is that there was an accident and that it had gotten resolved and left it at that. Kids get hurt a lot, and parents know that to.

13. Myname

Myname Comrade

Apr 2, 2006

thanks all.