Was I being the lazy teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 12, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 12, 2016

One part of my planning time is Spanish class, taught by another teacher. She is finishing up some assessments and the other day asked permission if she could show a Spanish video during the time while she pulled kids for assessment. I replied it didn't bother me none as I was going to use this time, my planning time, to do the same. Today: she puts in the movie into my computer, I fiddle with it to get it going, and she goes out into the hall to start pulling kids, the understanding being I would be in the classroom doing my assessments.

The movie doesn't work. The intro starts, but after that the computer can't pull anything from the disk. I'm not so technical, neither is the other teacher, and neither of us planned to spend the entire hour fiddling with a silly movie.

I said I would give my kids some quiet free time. Why? I had nothing else planned, it's my planning time, and I'm trying to pull kids for reading assessments. Add to this that a good third of my class actually goes to an English course during Spanish time so I couldn't even teach a full class.

Anywho, another teacher walks in, sees it, and later says that if she were in the situation, she would have whipped together a great emergency lesson.

I'm feeling rather bitter about her comment. Was I wrong to allow some quiet free time while I did my assessments?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2016

Her comment was uncalled for. Why "whip" or even nae-nae (whatever that is, I still can't figure it out) during your own prep time?

Kat53 and applecore like this.
  4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 12, 2016

A teacher should always have backup emergency plans at the ready. With that said, I do not always have this ready. I have given my class free time whenever a lesson was shorter than expected or something didn't work out as expected. Sometimes there just isn't a way to pull something together at the last minute. Don't worry about other teacher's opinions on your classroom. You are evaluated by your supervisor, that is all you need to worry about.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 12, 2016

I think I was mostly bitter about the idea that I should have to give up the time I had planned for assessment. I didn't want to dump it all on the Spanish teacher, but I don't feel that meant I had to give up my own time when the kids would enjoy some quiet center activities.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 12, 2016

You shouldn't have to give up your planning time, but I know in reality, in a lot of schools, this is what ends up happening. My bi-weekly "planning" period at my first school was during PE. If the PE teacher was absent, there was no PE and therefore no planning for me. It was THE WORST and I am so thankful to now be in a union school where our planning time is precious and respected!

All that being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with quiet time, especially since it sounds like they were doing content-related center activities anyways. As long as they weren't swinging from the rafters, I think you did just fine!

Backroads likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 12, 2016

I'd have backup plans if MY first plans didn't pan out. How is it your problem if it was during your planning time? The other teacher should have had an alternate activity. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 12, 2016

Hindsight, "Not my circus, not my monkeys. See Mrs. Herturn for your comment." and keep moving on. :)

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 12, 2016

I agree. This really was not your issue to have to deal with. When the video did not work as planned, the Spanish teacher should have gone to Plan B.

readingrules12 likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 12, 2016

My thoughts too.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 12, 2016

The Spanish teacher is the one that is teaching then, and you have the time off to plan. It was nice you offered to help the Spanish teacher. When the video didn't work (neither of your faults it seems--it is just technology being what it is) then the Spanish teacher should find a way to handle the situation. I wouldn't have given the students free time, but I don't think it was wrong for you to want your planning period.

As far as the other teacher giving her 2 cents--I don't agree with it. She didn't have all the information, and you are the teacher of your classroom. However, I would let the situation go with that teacher.

IMO it should have been the Spanish teacher with the back up plan.

otterpop likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 13, 2016

That's why people need to stop giving their 2 cents when not asked for it. MYOB!!!

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 13, 2016

Free time for the kids this time of year...no problem.

Nosy teacher leaving rude comment...BIG problem.

ms.irene, txmomteacher2 and MrsC like this.
  14. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 13, 2016

I teach a specials area, sometimes in the mainstream classroom, but I do have my own classroom. My time with the students is for me to figure out, plan, etc. I would NEVER ask the classroom teacher to fill in activities for my time - it is Spanish time, and that is their prep time. And I almost always have a back up plan for technology issues. The only time I could think of is if I was out and could not get a sub - thankfully, this has not happened as my school gets specials teachers subs when we are out.

If I have to, I pull students from class for assessments during my prep time if a movie/independent activity doesn't work out.