Was getting your masters worth it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by eddygirl, Jun 30, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

Geo--I think it MIGHT just be if I were to get my MA in English. I'd have to talk to my professor, Carol Comfort (if you can ever take her, do so. She's an AMAZING woman!) about it. She was the one who was vehemently against me doing my Masters course online.

If I were to get it in EDUCATION--it does not appear as if a second language is necessary. Granted, in CA I SHOULD learn Spanish--but I just don't have time for that added stress on top of everything else.

2. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

Do state laws like this apply to private schools too in New York? Here you do not have to have the same certifications in private or charter schools.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

Technically you don't need certification to teach in a private school in NY.

But everyone in my school has it. The same is true in my husband's school, and the school in which I taught from 1980 - 1987.

New York (and the surrounding area-- CT, NJ, PA)has always faced the type of hiring market that many people have just started to see in the past few years. There are hundreds of applicants for every job. Realistically, there's no need for any school to hire someone without certification, since they have a multitide of certified applicants from which to choose.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 2, 2012

I am usually more of a "paper" than exam person, we didn't have the option. We had a comprehensive exam at the end of my program. I typed for 5 hours straight.

5. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 2, 2012

In my program we have both a paper and comp exam:-(

6. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 2, 2012

Wow! I had to write two thesis and take an exam.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2012

I think ANY education is worth it. I'm working on a 2nd Masters degree right now & the field I'm in is in such a high demand, I already got hired for my job JUST 4 MONTHS after starting grad school that would take 3 years to get. But, my 1st Masters isn't a total waste since it partners well with the field I'm in now. And regarding the payscale, last school year, I was getting paid the very furthest along the payscale already because I had a Masters + 60 + more college units already. It's getting a PhD that wouldn't matter in salary. I'm not a teacher, so the position I'm in doesn't have various promotion levels when working in a school district. In other sectors, it would help to have a PhD, like if I worked in a hospital.

8. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

Furthering my education and receiving my Masters was very much worth it. I had to take a writing exam, a comp exam, and conduct an action research project/paper, along with passing the state mandated exams for certification in my subject area; before completion of my degree. Three weeks after graduation I was choosing between two job offers within my field (elem education) both with competitive salaries. Those extra 2 years better prepared me to be a highly effective educator than just my undergrad experience. Also graduating from a prestige university also helped me in obtaining job interviews/offers. :thumb:

9. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

Mine also. If I had chosen a Masters in Administration I would have had the choice between a thesis and a comp exam.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 3, 2012

I got my master's as part of an additional certificate. It was worth it.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

I'm dropping out of my master's program this fall, but I can say this: the time I had in the classes for bettering my future students in reading was so worth it. I feel more confident in what I'm teaching and even excited to know there's more to teaching than following a lesson plan or decorating the classroom. It's truly worth the experience if you are able and capable of doing it!

There's many reasons why I'm not going to continue with the program at this time, but for the sake of boredom...salary freeze, turning 40 this year, and having two very busy teenagers to raise are contributors to not finishing for me.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I was hired with my masters which put me at a higher pay on any step from ay one. I'm now masters plus 60 additional credits which maxes my pay at each step on the salary scale. Yeah, it's worth it.

13. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

I paid more than that for student teaching alone. (In 2008).

14. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

For my field, a masters degree is required in order for me to be able to be licensed and practicing.

I'm currently working on my second (nearly there!) and contemplating getting other degrees, though, not necessarily another masters.

Earning mine has been completely worth it, time and effort wise. Financially, my salary has been steadily increasing every year since I earned my first.

Academically, I feel confident in what I do and the same goes with my job performance. My second one is solely for kicks, but it has really made me push myself... hell, I'm just enjoying being a well-rounded person who knows my stuff!

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

I'm a new teacher, and I got mine before I started teaching as part of a combined credential/M.S. in Education program. It was 100% worth it. My school only pays a small stipend for the M.S. and a bit more for the units, so even though it's not really financially worth it, it was completely worth it in terms of my knowledge base. I feel *SO* much more prepared to teach because of my masters classes. We created a culminating project in my program, and it was the hardest, most rewarding educational experience I've ever had. It really defined who I am as a teacher.

Since my heart is in primary, if I keep teaching this age range I would LOVE to get a second masters in reading, but I'll have to deal with paying off loans for the first one before that happens! ;)