WARNING

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Brendan, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

If you don't want to do ALL the work needed to be a GOOD teacher and don't put your students first, do not going into teaching or student teaching. More importantly, don't come this board to complain about it or blame others!

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

.... dare I ask?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

Hehe. It's been one of those nights...

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

It's been a lot of those nights lately.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Whoa, I must have missed all of this!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

WhAt?? You mean working from 8 to 3 for 9 months a year isn't enough? Gah!

I kid, I kid.

Agree. Teaching is HARD work. But, it is also the most rewarding work I have ever done. Leading all decisions with "what is good for my students" usually leads you to doing right by your students and doing great things in the classroom. If you lead with "what's easiest for me" then get out of the classroom.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

You know... I think I read something about this from the Surgeon General. I guess some people did not read the fine print.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

I agree.

But, as the years roll along it does get a little easier, at least some of it does. I spent several days before school started and have written my lesson plans for my Read Alouds for the entire year. It's going to make everything flow so much more smoothly and I'll be able to enjoy the kids more and have extra time for new things I'd like to incorporate into my class.

I think the shock of summer being over is tough for some. Cursed for me for waking up at the crack of dawn every day this summer, but I'm sure ready to hit the floor running now.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

You've hit the nail right on the head.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

Rats. I guess I shouldn't outsource everything this year.

Kidding! I couldn't imagine NOT being totally involved in my job. I'm a little OCD and a wee bit of a control freak.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

I think most of us who go into teaching are a little OCD and a bit of control freaks...? That's why the job drives some crazy and the rest of us hum happily while going through our day. It is not a linear profession. I am not a linear person! :lol:

13. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

That is sooooooo very true!! Makes me angry when I see people doing what's easiest for them, and not necessarily what's best for the children.

14. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 11, 2010

What bothers me are people who do the bare minimum and sometimes not even that. Accelerated Math is not a way to TEACH math...

I also dont like it when people come LATE every day (I mean after the late bell rings - yes theres a teacher that does this) LEAVE EARLY and dont teach the required curriculum or get required trainings... dont get me started... I could go on for years. (HOW DO THESE PEOPLE STILL HAVE JOBS?!)

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2010

:thumb:

I second that. We had moans and groans at a meeting recently because heaven forbid you are being asked to do what's best for the kids as opposed to what is the easiest way for you to do it. I had a team member quit this week because she thought it was going to be way too much work this year-I'm glad she had the sense to get out.

16. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

Thank goodness she quit! We had to get rid of two assistants last year who were notorious for doing what was easiest for them instead of what's best for the children.

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

This should also apply to admins/principals, school board members, superintendents and their 50 assistants, curriculum consultants, Reading and Math coaches, and everybody in between.

IMO, it's the system and those people in power that have allowed unprofessional teachers to stay in the business. As long as the system remains corrupt, and driven by politics and money and NEVER what's best for the children, then selfish teachers will remain with no consequences to face because afterall, they fit right into the system that devalues children.

disclaimer: (My opinion is based on training and working in one of the largest districts in the country for the past several years.)

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

It gets even better when these teachers who barely do the bare mininum get evaluations higher than yours just for stupid politics!!:|

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

Personally, I'd like to see ALL administrators (Ps, Superintendents, Supervisors, and the like) spend at least 3 days in sole control (HAH) of a PRIMARY elementary classroom, AND they'd have to follow all of their own directives and non-negotiables!

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

Sorry, I take a little offense to this. I am a teacher and administrator/department chair. I've taught Middle School and HS for 20 years. What would me teaching elementary school prove. Sorry If I missed your point.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I don't know about MS or HS, Brendan - sorry if I was insulting. I should have said ELEMENTARY admins, etc. We are given some of the most ridiculous directives sometimes. I often wonder where these "brilliant" ideas come from!!! Certainly not from actual teachers, "in the trenches," so to speak!

22. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Aug 11, 2010

I couldn't agree more with the OP especially today. I am beyond frustrated with one of our team members.

23. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Wow, just what I was thinking this week. We have one teacher who complains about everything, moans and groans, makes the faces, the works. Yet she is still around. This week she is complaining because our books didnt come in and wont be in for two weeks, but there is sooooo much she can still work on even without books. COmplaining is only wasting time. It is annoying seeing them act this way, and the kids are the ones suffering.

I know I am not a perfect teacher, but I do try my best. I am thinking about it day and night on how to get things across to students. We have one teacher who is very creative and she knwos her stuff. She does a great job with her class, but she doesnt like to give credit to any other teacher BUT herself. If one teacher does something RIGHT she makes it seem like it was "luck" and she finds negativity in everyone, including me her best friend on the personal level. I think i've learned to keep work and our personal like separate for the sake of our friendship, because she is a great friend for the most part. ITs hard to explain but im sure everyone has one of each at their school.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

I just need clarification...no worries!

25. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Yes that type of thing ONLY happens in elementary. :rolleyes:

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

And I imagine THEY would lke to see ALL teachers run a building, deal with angry phone calls, explain to parents why teachers counter explicit directives by teaching with their doors closed, deal with subs who take a last minute job and expect a full day's pay but then take their time getting there (leaving the school short of staff), teachers who disregard the fire safety laws in favor of cute decorations, teachers on the cell phone during class, teachers who defer every discipline problem to the office, teachers who don't listen to suggestions then complain that administration doesn't back them up, teachers who don't dress as professionals then complain when they're not treated as such ....

I'm pretty sure it's a 2 way street. There are good administators-- I'm blessed to work with some-- and there are bad. But as much as we hate to admit it, the same is most certainly true of teachers.

27. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I know what you all mean about people who complain about the work - but, I do understand where some of those people are coming from. As a teacher, I get incredibly frustrated when I am putting in the work and no one else is working as hard as I am - not admin, parents, students... NO ONE!!!
    I'm not trying to defend constant complainers because I completely agree that when we come on here it should be with the sole purpose to inspire and build up other members of our profession. I just think that sometimes when people complain on here it is as a way to vent with others who understand the frustrations we have.

***Disclaimer: This is just a general post - I have read other threads where people have gotten rude, insulting, and downright vindictive when someone calls them on it. I am NOT trying to defend those people. I'm just offering another side to the argument of this particular thread.***

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

I think you should have said all of the administrators you have worked under. I can understand what you mean. I have worked with some that had no classroom experience. But my P now worked as a fifth/sixth grade teacher for many many years. She is one of the most developmentally appropriate principals I have ever worked for, and I hope she never leaves us.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

All of our administrators must have come through the classroom--one of the requirements for admission into the "process" is experience at all grade levels (ie to be an elementary principal, the candidate must have experience in K-grade 8). It's always difficult for me to get my head around the fact that there are principals who have never been teachers.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Then again, some of the people complaning about them are fresh out of school, also with no classroom experience.

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Maybe I should get a masters in administration. I have taught all those grade levels. haha

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

I can just imagine the questions that would come up when someone saw that you had taught all of those grades in the same year! :eek:

33. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

I get bothered by the general statement that people who aren't classroom teachers are somehow "removed" from what happens in the classroom. It's not just in this thread, either. Most administrators, coaches, state people and professors do have classroom experience. All the coaching jobs I have had require it.

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

I'm blessed with an awesome admin team. They pop in frequently to see what's going on, have an open door policy with both teachers and students, and work hard in ensure everyone has what they need to be successful. They attend optional trainings with us. They tutor students after school. They are present every day, every room, for every teacher and student.

35. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I agree with you sometimes I want to vent to someone who understand and is in the education area. But I have to say lately I feel like on here if you dont know someone who has been here for a long while, you get side looked. I have been posting for about a month now and only one person was kind enough to welcome me and make me feel comfortable, yet several have found a way to make me rethink myself...This should be a type of support group where we can all come on and freely help one another. :hugs:

36. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I think that rethinking yourself is the nature of the beast on this forum.

There's hundreds of ways to learn, and each teacher here probably represents all those different ways. So something that makes complete sense to you is going to come across as difficult to someone else.

I have almost 500 posts here, and I have YET to see a 100% consensus on a topic. Someone always has something new to bring to the table.

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

I would never want to be an administrator because I know too many of the good ones and see how they struggle to make my job easier. In return, I am going into my third year of strapping on the shoulder pads (football, not the poofy ones from the 1980s) and charging into the school year. Gimme those students with a gazillion challenges!

Thanks, I needed this thread for the first pep talk of the 2010-2011 school year. I won't let you and yours down, Brendan!

38. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Brendan, I completely agree. Teaching, if done in the right manner, should be one of the most demanding and toughest professions there is.

I was happy to see that our administration canned our lazy math teacher who got to school late, let his classes get out of control, and was the first teacher to leave every day.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

Forgive me if I wasn't one who welcomed you warmly. It's been an insane summer, between surgery, vacation, home repairs, freelance writing, and the normal insanity of 3 kids. As much as we all really try to welcome new members, sometimes the timing is just off.

But I'm not sure we should be offering unilateral support. The other day I used the phrase 'circling their wagons" with respect to this forum. I think this is a valuable resource for making us rethink our point of view.

Sometimes teaching is a very insular profession. The bell rings, and we go. And the only time another adult provides any feedback is when we're being observed-- and so many teachers are so uncomfortable with that whole thing that they're not themselves and the observation doesn't provide the right sort of feedback.

So I think this forum is wonderful with the "Yeah, but have you ever considered..." type of feedback that makes us all grow as educators.

Of course, I've come here too many times for comfort. When I've gotten bad news, it's too late to call mom or one of my sisters. and I don't want Peter to see the tears. And the people on here have been remarkable as a support system of someone they've never met in person.

40. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I think what I meant is how we approach the person. We must remember that we are online, so sometimes something can come off as rude without us realizing it.

41. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Too true, too true.

I myself have come off in a way that was completely opposite of what I intended.

We just don't have the luxury of inflection that we have in person. All we have is italics, all caps, perhaps some bold to try to show what we intend. Too often even this isn't enough.

If I happen to have been one of the people to offend you, I apologize.

I can almost guarantee you it was unintentional if I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.