Warning: rant. I usually don't listen to the other faculty but...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by ifightaliens, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ifightaliens

ifightaliens Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

... I can't help but notice that many of the teachers seem to be fed up with the school's discipline policy. I find I'm in the same boat.

I don't mind a little bit of disorder, but I find that the kids are allowed to run roughshod around the school. Most of the kids are from outside of the neighborhood and from "rougher" areas of the city. Every day, the halls are packed with screaming kids arriving late or not going to class at all. There has been at least one fight per month. It's always the same kids involved. During class, many of them just carry on as if the teacher isn't even there. I have one girl who I've never seen, but no matter how many cut slips I put in, it seems as though there are no repurcussions.

The other day when I accused two students of not having respect for me, they vehemently denied it. "That's not true Mr. D, we totally respect you! We throw things at the teachers we don't respect."

Pink slips amount to little more than "We talked to the student" and the vice principal is often seen joking to large groups of kids who are nearly 15 minutes late to class. When I asked about one girl who was regularly out of control, the counselor told me "She's crazy, you'll just have to deal with it."

This week we had to review for the benchmarks, and were basically told to give the kids the answers!

I don't know if it's just the sheer amount of kids or what, but I'm just really down about the whole thing. Thing is, we're supposedly one of the better schools in the district.

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? Can you give me a word of advice or two? I'm just really bummed over the situation.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

In many schools, administrators expect you to take care of the problems unless there is no other resort (I mean a kid that is a physical danger to others). That means you keeping them in at lunch or after school, calling home, etc., whatever it takes. It really all comes down to relationships with the kids. Believe it when the kids tell you that they respect you and show it by not throwing things at you. Leverage that. Teach them what respect means to you. As far as the kid that is out of control, don't give up. Keep trying, sometimes they actually come around. I had a little gal in middle school who would not stop talking and didn't seem to care about school. Nobody ever taught here how. One day during my prep period, when another teacher had put her outside because she wouldn't stop talking, she wandered into my room and asked to take a test she had missed. That was a small but important step for her. FWIW kids that come from rough neighborhoods often have never had an adult they can trust. You can be the one.

4. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

I have been a long term sub in various high schools and middle schools and I can tell you that the administration's presence and attitude is inherently important to your own classroom management.
    In one high school where I subbed, the principal, and vice principal's presence of authority was so strong that it was palpable! However, when I subbed at another high school the adminstration demonstrated a relaxed attitude about the school rules and the kids were out of control.
    Listen, the kids know, in fact, they sense, when the administration does not back up the teachers.
    I don't care how good you are at classroom management, if you aren't backed up and subsequently undermined by the adminstration, the students will get the best of you.