Warning: dangerous game some kids are trying..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Apr 30, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 30, 2009

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/44028462.html

I normally post happier posts but since we're all around kids, I thought I'd pass this along incase you haven't heard of the "choking" game yet. I heard about it on Dr. Phil sometime within the past year so maybe most people already know about it.

It's tricky to figure out if you should tell kids about this game or see if you happen to overhear someone talk about it and then bring it up?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2009

Oh, that's scary and sad, TennisPlayer.:(:(:(

Thank you for posting it, though. I hadn't heard of kids doing this (I had heard of self-asphyxiation, though in considerably different contexts).

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2009

It was in Reader's Digest awhile back too. Sad.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 30, 2009

Crazy. I never heard of this before now.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

A group of 4 fifth graders (1 from my class) got in trouble for choking each other earlier in the year. Apparently they choke one another until the victim says mercy. My principal didn't make a big deal about it. They weren't suspended, they just had trash pick-up for 3 days!:eek:hmy:
    Now I wonder if they played the game to "get a rush"

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 1, 2009

It was around when I was a kid 40 years ago.

My older cousin beat the crap out of us when he caught us doing it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2009

Yes, I heard about this some mos ago. I think kids/teens have too much time on their hands. Some of them (didn't say all) are latchkey kids, who come home from school to an empty house while the parents are still at work, so they hang out w/ friends doing God knows what & parents have no idea what things their kids are into.

Parents need to keep their kids busier w/ afterschool sports, clubs, music lessons, etc., etc. That may not solve all the problems, but I think it helps.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 1, 2009

This seems to come to the forefront every couple of years and is very scary. From what I understand, it's done for the rush or high. About 8 or 9 years ago we had a public health nurse come in to talk to the students about the dangers and she also did a session for staff. We were told that this often happens at school, most particularly in the washrooms and outside on the yard.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2009

My stepdad told me stories when I was younger about him playing this game with his brothers until they passed out. So, yes, it has certainly been around for a while.

Truly sad.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 2, 2009

This came up in my first grade classroom last year! I knew about it but the kids brought it up. I have always pounded it into them that they are not to put anything around their necks!

I now incorporate this into safety teaching. Just 2 weeks ago a 7 year old died from hanging in our town! Information like this usually spreads through the town quickly. But in this case, the newspaper printed that it was ruled "accidental" and there has not been a peep about it since, not from anyone. I wonder if she saw older kids playing this "game" and tried it herself.Nobody is saying. So sad.

It does need to be talked about with students.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2009

A derivation of the game involves masturb**** and choking yourself. I had a student die from it years ago
    He was sitting on a cardboard box in his closet and had something tied around the closet pole & his neck and the box collapsed.

13. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 2, 2009

I agree with keeping them busy, too bad many of the programs are getting cut. A local school is probably going to have to get rid of their highschool band program, which is tragic. My whole entire highschool life was part of the band and art program. Me and my friends still talk about band memories 7 years later(of course..all my friends were in band)