Warm appetizer?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sue35, Dec 30, 2010.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

I commented in the cooking thread that I have no idea how to cook. Tomorrow for NYE I have to bring a warm appetizer. I have no idea what to bring. What is an easy appetizer to make and then be able to travel with it?

I thought crockpot meatballs but I don't think those would travel well. Help!

**And I am pretty sure someone is already bringing a dip**

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

I think meatballs would be okay in the crockpot if you put a layer of plastic wrap or something over the top while you're traveling.

Otherwise, what about some type of stuffed mushrooms? I think it was Alice who had a really great recipe for a stuffed mushroom casserole.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

My sister makes the most delicious potato puffs!!! She takes mashed potatoes (she uses homemade, but I think instant would probably do) and wraps them in crescent roll dough. (The Pillsbury tube type.) Then she pops them into the oven to brown.

They FLY off the plates!!!!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

Get some of the pre-made appetizers in the freezer section at Target or Sam's club. Simple, and delicious!

Or, make Taco Ring, which can work as an appetizer or a meal.

4 packs croissants, one pound hamburger meat, one package shredded cheese, one pack taco seasoning, sour cream.

Brown the meat. Add the taco seasoning. Arrange the croissant pieces in a circle with the long point going down. Put the meat and cheese on the circle and roll the ends of the dough over. It should look something like a halo when you're done. Bake according to what it says for the croissants. Transfer to serving platter, and filling the middle with shredded lettuce and sour cream. You can cut the sections in advance, or serve with a knife.

It's a nice variation on pigs in a blanket, which is another good idea!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2010

Will you have access to a microwave when you get there? The mini quiche you can get at Costco or the grocery store are pretty darn good...

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

Nacho Dip:
    Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a pie plate (or, if serving a crowd, a 9 x 13 pan. Top with a layer of browned ground beef prepared with taco seasoning, then a layer of diced tomatoes and green onions. Top all with grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese. Pop into the oven for about 15 minutes to heat and melt the cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 30, 2010

Spinach dip

And what about those little sausages you can cook in the crock pot? Those are so YUMMY but I don't know how to make them = (

10. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Dec 30, 2010

When we make those at our house we just buy a couple packages of Little Smokies, a jar of grape jelly and a bottle of the cheapest bbq sauce we can find. Mix the jelly (make sure it's jelly - not jam) and the BBQ sauce together in a crock pot until it's smooth. Add the packages of Little Smokies and let warm! Easy!!

Love the idea of the taco ring and the nacho dip - those sound fantastic. We've been trying to brainstorm our New Year's party and it may have just taken on a "Mexican food" theme!!

If you have a Costco near you, honestly they have some amazing appetizers in the freezer section at the moment. Their bacon wrapped scallops are awesome! As is their artichoke dip and/or salsa! Just heat 'em up and put them on your own plate!

Hope you have a great evening!

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

Sausage balls are always a huge hit, too!

1 lb of hot sausage
    2 cups bisquick
    4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup water

Mix all together and roll into little bite sized balls. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2010

I make these flavorful potstickers that are better than the restaurants, I kid you not! I think using ground turkey is most flavorful over other meats. PM me if you want the recipe.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 30, 2010

14. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

A good hot dip is pepperoni dip. It is so easy!
    10.75 ozCan of cream of celery
    8oz of cream cheese
    4oz sour cream
    diced pepperoni (i just kind of dice until it looks like enough.)

Mix it all togerher and then bake @ 375 degrees for about 15-20 mins or throw in a crockpot to cook and stay warm. It is SO good with bagel chips or hunks of italian bread.

For a cold dip, hoagie dip is also good. It tastes JUST like a hoagie. I have to look for that recipe so if you want it, let me know :D

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

I like using those little premade frozen phyllo cups and filling them with all sorts of things. You can make them mexican with some refried beans, peppers and onions and top with shreaded cheese. Sometimes I make them with spinach and feta cheese. They travel fine if you put them on a cookie sheet and put foil on top and then pop them in the oven for a few minutes to heat them up when you arrive at the party. Any way I make them they are gobbled up in no time and I usually dont' get any!

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

A great dessert: fill them wtih warm Nutella mixed with Cool Whip!!!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

My variation is cream cheese, salsa, and cheddar, popped into the micro for about a minute.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 30, 2010

This is how pathetic I am:
    1. In the taco app (which sounded great) I didn't even know at first what brown the meat meant.

2. I don't even know what a phyllo cup is.

A lot of these sound great! I unfortunately can't bring a dip and my fiance hates mushrooms so that cuts some very yummy sounding ones out. But the others sound good. I guess it is just a matter of how much I am willing to mess up, because I tend to do that a lot:)

thanks for the suggestions!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2010

Phyllo cups can be found in the frozen dessert area of your supermarket.

Phyllo is a kind of dough; almost like a pie crust. The cups are maybe an inch in diameter, so they're made for individual servings.

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 30, 2010

Brown the meat just means cook the meat in a skillet before you do anything else. (so you don't put raw meat with the other ingredients and the meat is somewhat cooked)

It's not pathetic. I remember when I didn't know what that meant.

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 30, 2010

BTW, I still think your meatball idea is a good way to go.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

You're talking to the girl who didn't pour the water out of her macaroni the first time that she made Kraft dinner. The box didn't say to pour it out:p

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

LOL I have a friend who did that. It was like macaroni and cheese soup :lol:

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

LOL

Did anyone say to make the brie in the hollowed out bread?

Buy a loaf of round bread from the bakery. Get a round of brie, whatever size you want. Hollow out a space in the top of the bread and place the unwrapped brie in it. Top with a little brown sugar. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Mmmmm....

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 30, 2010

Keep it simple...
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/18/Ham_and_Cheddar_Roll_Ups58915.shtml

you can fill them with anything if you don't want to use ham. You can use a blend of cheeses or even cream cheese with chopped green onions really small with some hot sauce.

Good luck.

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

Sue, don't feel bad. I remember when I didn't know that you had to thaw meat before you cooked it! I couldn't understand why my chicken wasn't getting done! LOL

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 30, 2010

Or you can just take a wheel of brie, heat it in the oven for just a few minutes until it softens, then set out apple slices that you soaked in mountain dew (stops the browning) and crackers. Delicious!

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

Not pathetic at all. When I first got married (15 years ago), I called my mom because I couldn't understand the hamburger helper instructions because it said to brown the meat. :whistle: I don't know what a phyllo cup is either. Blessed are we that have the internet these days. :D I learn something new everyday.

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2010

:toofunny: I had to tell my husband that one. That cracked me up!! My bachelor dad who only fed me about 5 things (rotated out) at least taught me that much... along with how to use the microwave.

On a more serious note though it took me FOREVER to feel confident enough to cook chicken well enough through. Meat, during our early years, was always served with a million knife marks already run through it by the time it reached the table.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2010

Oh, yeah, that confidence takes ages to develop. First Thanksgiving dinners are always high stress. I was only 23 or so when I cooked mine. For years I used to say that rice hated me. I could never get it right.

32. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2010

Thank you all for making me feel better:)

It helps to hear that others mess up just like I do. I swear, I look at some of my friends and truly feel they were just born to cook.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2010

I seriously LOVE making appetizers. Tonight we are having ONLY appetizers for dinner until midnight. If you lived near me I would make a bunch for you!

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

We still tease my dad about the macaroni and cheese soup he made when Mama was in the hospital. He put in 3 cups of milk instead of 3 tablespoons. It was baaaaaad! lol I'm lucky because Mama did teach me from an early age to cook, but somethings she always did herself instead of showing me, cutting up a ham was one of them. I cooked a large ham for some friends the other night. The package was very helpful in how to cook it, but said nothing about how to cut it up. (I don't draw or cut straight lines. It's a sickness!) I transferred the ham to the plate and stood there with the knife, surrounded by hungry people and had not a clue how where to start. Finally my friend's husband reached out, flipped the ham over, and showed me where to start. It still looked like Lizzie Borden had cut it up, but it tasted good! :)
    Oh and as for rice - lesson learned the hard way. They tell you how much water to put in for a reason. It's not just a guesstimate! :rolleyes:

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

They just toss out the stuff that doesn't come out well, so you never see it.

EVERYONE messes up!!!

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

:rolleyes: I meant to give you a recipe, not just tell sad stories! :D

An appetizer that I make that's always a hit (not healthy in the LEAST!) is bacon wraps. There are dozens of recipes out there for it, but this is what I did.

Leave a stick of cream cheese out to get room temperature. Mix it with some crushed garlic and finely chopped green onion. You want a dense bread, not a regular white. Italian or country white work well. With a rolling pin (or glass) roll the bread super thin. Spread some of the cream cheese over the bread (think peanut butter thicknss). Slice the bread into 3 or 4 strips (a pizza cutter works well!). You also need bacon cut in half. Roll the bread strip up, then wrap the bacon around it. Use a toothpick to keep it closed and put it on a cookie sheet with sides. (Will cook out fat.) I use regular bacon and cook it for around 20 minutes at 350 degrees. If you use thick bacon you need to drop the temperature and cook for longer. About halfway through rearrange so that another side is to the pan. You have to serve them hot. They are yummy! If you google bacon wraps you'll see all the other recipes. I do another one with chicken, but it's more complicated and very time consuming.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Oh, another easy one:

Get some Pillsbury cresent dough and flatten it out to one big rectangle. Pinch the seams together.

Place some deli ham and cheddar cheese on it, and roll it up, jellyroll style. Slice into small spirals.

Put it into the oven until browned; you can probably follow the directions on the tube.

Simple and delicious!

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

Miss Celia, I'm going to make that taco ring tonight for our little pot luck! Thanks for the recipe!

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Hey ,ChristY, that's why they make spiral sliced hams!

40. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2010

:D I know, but the spiral are SO expensive, and I'm spoiled. I only like Smithfield hams. They only had the picnic in Smithfield that day.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico