Wardrobe Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms B IL, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

I'm getting ready to apply for a teaching program and the program starts observations and clinicals the first or second semester. I am also currently working at a department store where I get a pretty decent discount. Because of this, I want to start putting together a professional wardrobe.

I have a couple problems though. The first is that I'm not 100% sure what I should be buying. I have nothing that I can use for this type of wardrobe, as far as I know. I know two teachers who work in the district by me and they both dress more casually than I expected or would probably want to dress (the man wears khakis and polos every single day and the woman usually wears tight black jeans and a black top or an occasional skirt). I've looked through a few threads and am starting to get ideas, but the recommendations I see are a lot more formal than I see out in the world.

The second problem is a little harder to fix. I've worn somewhat professional looking clothes before, but I have always had to buy them from the Junior's section because I can't find anything that fits in the Women's sections. They are horrible quality, generally, and have a fit that screams "young." I already look about 8 years younger than I am-- being thin and wearing clothes from the Junior's section doesn't help this. Are there any brands or even other stores that carry smaller "adult" clothing? How big is too big to buy and plan on getting taken in? Also, any other ideas to make me look older/more professional?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

Most clothing stores have a "special sizes" area with Women's (plus) sizes and Petites. You should be able to find what you need in the Petites section.

As for what to buy, that's harder to say. I myself dress fairly casually, even at school. My standard outfit is khaki-type pants (any color), a knit top, and a cardigan sweater. I often wear jeans and school t-shirts or hoodies, as well, particular on Spirit Days and Fridays. I get most of my clothes from Old Navy, if that gives you any indication of my style. If you are the more casual type, I think that something like what I wear is fine. Some people have a more formal style. If that's your style, then go for those items. You might even want to mix it up and get some of both style.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2013

I wear slacks of any color (never jeans, unless on "jeans day") with a regular knit top and a jacket or sweater of some sort. I wear black sneakers every day. I never wear skirts nor dresses.

5. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

Unfortunately, petites does not work for me at all because everything is too short. I am thin, but at the lower end (but firmly in) of the average range of height. And the petites seem to start at about a 4 too. I really need like a 0 in women's clothes but I only see that in expensive designer clothes or Junior's. Size 4 literally falls off of me :(

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

Hmmm....Well, have you tried googling "clothing stores size 0" or something like that and seeing if there are any good results? Some stores don't carry their special sizes in store but have lots available online.

7. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

I've seen a couple like J. Crew and some more expensive designers. I plan to go into J. Crew soon to try stuff on, but the expensive stuff is a little out of my price range. Thanks for the advice though, I may try some more googling.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

Sorry I can't be more help. I definitely have never had a problem with being too thin for the clothes in stores. :lol:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2013

All of the Followng stores carry classic, professional clothing in smaller sizes:

Loft
    Ann Taylor
    Talbots

Dress better than described. Tight black jeans aren't good in any professional work condition, except for the worlds oldest profession.
    :unsure::blush::dizzy:

10. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

I hate that I have the problem because usually I feel like it is kind of rude for me to mention because people tend to mention my weight-- at least the girls I work with do. They are probably the ones actually being rude, but I feel like I can't ask them because they'll just see it as bragging instead of a genuine problem.

11. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

Thank you! There is an Ann Taylor in the mall I work at. I might go try stuff on after work tomorrow.

I definitely plan on dressing better than the tight black jeans. Unfortunately, this woman also wears these jeans for all her casual events too and I see her often because she is a relative of my boyfriend. The mere fact that she wears this at all baffles me.

12. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 19, 2013

Ms B, if I didn't know better I'd think you were describing me. I'm over 30, and still look like I could be in high school when dressed down. I also wear a size 0 (or preferably 00S). My goto stores for pants are:

Ann Taylor Loft (more reasonable prices than Ann Taylorwhich I need)
    Banana Republic (we have an outlet nearby that I love).. they even have 00S here
    New York and Company (had some too big, some just right)
    Express (I purchase the ankle, and they fit perfectly as normal length)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 19, 2013

Back when I was little I shopped at 5-7-9. Are they still around? If they are, they did have good stuff, if I remember right. What about Casual Corner?

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 19, 2013

I find a lot at Marshall's. I like their dresses. But I dress more formal than what's typical, I think. Find a nice pair of black pants. You can't ever go wrong with black pants, a shirt, and some flats.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 19, 2013

The SLP I used to work with and I used to go school shopping together. She's the thinnest person I've ever seen in real life, lol. She had no problem buying stuff at Ann Taylor (petites) or J. Crew. I think how people dress depends on the area. I was just talking with some friends about how out here "business casual" takes on a whole different meaning and is WAY more "casual" than other places. I wear dresses with leggings/boots most days and am one of the most dressed up people at school. I would think you can't really go wrong anywhere with dress pants and sweaters/nice tops. I sometimes shop in junior's too just because of the way I'm built (I'm not that thin, but most women's clothing is made for "pears" and I have NO hips/things/butt). The problem I usually have with junior's clothing is that the necklines are so low. I wear tank tops under everything, but they tend to ride down during the day. I'd be on the look out for anything higher-necked that you wouldn't have to layer.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 19, 2013

I love Loft and New York and Company.

Right now I wear slacks (black, gray, or khaki) with a sweater. I almost always wear a sweater, even in the summer but then it's super lightweight with 3/4 length sleeves. I usually wear a sleeveless shirt/blouse underneath (we are allowed to). In the winter, I wear mostly wool sweaters.

When I was thinner, I loved wearing dresses and skirts. I wore skirts with the same types of tops already mentioned. All of my dresses are from Loft.

17. KoGs

KoGs Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

Khaki's are pretty standard for men I would say. Were you expecting dress pants?

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 20, 2013

once upon a time I had your same problem ;)

I suggest getting some skirts. With skirts you have more leeway with waist/hip sizes and length doesn't matter as much. You have tailored fits and loose fits.

19. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jan 20, 2013

If you are a size 0, then you need to come shopping with me. When I find something I like, only 0's seem to be on the rack! Make sure to ask for a teacher discount at places like Loft, the Limited, J Crew, etc. I usually find a lot of stuff at the Limited that is work-appropriate, but not too pricey.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 20, 2013

One thing that I have noticed is that before getting a teaching position, it is much better to be overdressed than not dressed up enough. Since you are new on a campus, people will judge you how you dress. That is different than an experienced teacher where our actions have spoken so loudly in a positive or negative way, that our wardrobe is less important.

My best advice is to dress up and dress modestly. Unfortunately, there are some who might judge you harshly if you dress too casually or even a bit immodestly. I wouldn't take that chance. I would say definitely no jeans or tennis shoes. I would also be ready to join in with other teachers on school t-shirt day, field day, or other events where dressing down is the norm.

21. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jan 20, 2013

This is what I wear, too. I usually wear flats though, not sneakers, or dress boots (I'm in Canada - lots of ice and snow!). I will wear skirts or a dress on occasion, again with a knit top and jacket or sweater.

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2013

I think it is especially important to dress "up" when you do look young so you don't get confused with the students and have more of an air of authority.

Clothes to avoid (as the mother of 3 boys who would come home and comment):

-skirts and dresses that are too short so you show more than you want bending over desks or sitting in a chair when the kids are on the floor, or sitting on the floor with them
    -shirts they can see your bra through
    -shirts that show your cleavage when you bend over
    -clothes that are too tight so they cling to various body parts
    -pants that are lowcut so you reveal the top of thongs or the top of your butt
    -sexy clothes or shoes that belong in a club, not at a school

You want to be professional, comfortable, and have the boys concentrate on their work, not you.

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to stretch your arms all the way up into the air and bend over and touch your toes in your outfit and not expose any skin--belly, lower back, or cleavage.

24. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jan 20, 2013

It sounds like we have similar body types. I was not able to find dress pants small enough in the women's section, so I purchased two pairs in the juniors department at Kohl's. The size 1 fits well and looks professional. For tops, I typically shop at New York and Company, Ann Taylor Loft, and Express.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2013

You really can't go wrong with dress slacks and blouses. I wear mostly dress slacks and skirts with blouses layered with cardigans and jackets. I hate khaki pants. I look dumpy in them.

For awhile my mom was a size 2. She found things at Talbots and Ann Taylor. She had to order smaller sizes from JC Penney. Old Navy carries sizes 0-20 in store. They're more casual, but I've found a few work pieces there.