Wants to relocate

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by demijasmom, May 23, 2010.

1. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 23, 2010

I currently teach 2nd grade at a charter school. The job market here in Ohio for elemntary teachers is very competive, you have over 200 applicants applying for one position. One of the largest districts, where I reside and my daughters attend school, will lay off over 300 teachers. I want to leave Ohio and pursue my dream somewhere else. I have been looking at four states that I am willing to relocate my family to, Georgia, Tennesse, North Carolina and South Carolina (in that particular order). I have applied online to some of their school districts. I want to know if this a great move or will I be faced with the same situation I'm trying to leave?:confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I don't know the info on anywhere but Long Island NY. And it's horrendous.

But applying, especially by email, costs nothing. So I say you cast a very wide net, and see what comes up.

4. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

May 23, 2010

Georgia, at least metro-Atlanta, is worse than that :(

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 23, 2010

If you're willing to come to Louisiana, we are doing okay economy wise here. We're only starting to hear rumors of cutbacks, and the economy is good thanks to some natural gas. (Yes, I see the irony there... drilling is both propping up our economy and destroying other parts of it at the same time...) This state has a lot going on right now.

I've heard that Georgia is being overrun with the teachers coming up from Florida, where the economy is even worse.

6. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 23, 2010

Have you tried Virginia?? It's a little bit more North, but some parts are just lovely!

7. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 23, 2010

I had not considered Virginia, I may look into that. Where are the lovely parts?

8. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 23, 2010

Louisiana is too far away from my famiy right now maybe in the future I may consider Louisiana.

9. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 23, 2010

I will contine to apply online, your right it costs nothing.

10. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

May 23, 2010

Eastern parts of NC are being hit hard...Wake County which is where Raleigh is, will be laying off. Many teachers are sitting with 25+ (close to 30) students in their classrooms. It's pretty grim on this side of the state too. I'm not sure about the Western part of the state though...

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 23, 2010

I don't know about that area, but here in the West, it's really bad. I live in Southern California and want to relocate to the Las Vegas area. A few years ago LV was paying teachers to move out there. Now, I can't even complete an application because they don't want elementary teachers.

Hope you have better luck!

12. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

May 23, 2010

New York City will continue to have their hiring freeze for the upcoming school year. We have been lucky so far (knock on wood). There have been talks of laying off 6,000 teachers but overall, NYC has faired well during this recession.
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Have you looked into each state's online teacher job website? New York's is called OLAS. For instance, this is a website run by North Carolina for educator jobs.
    https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/

The only problem that I found with these online markets is that more than not the school already knows who they want to hire, usually internally, but they have to post it first. I was trying to relocate upstate to be closer to my extended family last year.

I found the North Carolina website by googling "online application system for nc". So if you want to try the other states just google them and register. It's worth a shot. As you look for schools and want to investigate the communities, check out City-Data.com.

13. bros

bros Phenom

May 23, 2010

In my district in NJ, have a few jobs open. One is open in Early Childhood Education at the district's brand new Early Childhood Learning Center.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 23, 2010

Don't forget to check Craigslist in the areas you're looking at! The San Fran. Bay area has TONS of early childhood jobs posted every day.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 23, 2010

I moved from Ohio to AZ and have no regrets! I love it here!

Good Luck!!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 23, 2010

Don't come to Nothern New England. It's hard to finding jobs here.

17. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

May 23, 2010

Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions. I will continue my search and maybe even extend to other states, that I didn't consider before.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2010

I am near Charlotte, NC, and things are not good in this section of NC either. Charlotte-Meck schools expect to lay off 600+ (I have not heard an update in 6-8 weeks- the figure could have increased since then).

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2010

I currently have a teaching job in Ohio (WHEW!) but I agree the market is tough. Every now and then I look longingly at the Alaska Department of Education website. One of these days I might break down and apply.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 23, 2010

Very bad around the west Atlanta metro area. Many teachers laid off. There may be jobs in the more rural areas of Georgia or near the Atlantic Coast.

21. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 24, 2010

In Virginia you have Falls Church, Alexandria, and parts of Fairfax are really nice. Plus they are all considered Metro D.C so you are close to the city.

22. bros

bros Phenom

May 24, 2010

If you want to apply to the one in my district near me in NJ (In a suburban area) feel free to PM me on here, and I will send you the link to their website.