Wanting To Teach In Private School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by robpom, Jul 12, 2007.

1. robpom

robpom New Member

Jul 12, 2007

Well, after thirteen years in management, I have decided to return to my original life plan. I want to teach at a private school. I have a B.A. in history and I am planning on getting my M.A.T. in order to get certified. Will this be enough? Do most private school history teachers have their M.A. in history? What are my chances at age 38 and no experience getting a job?

Any comments would be appreciated.

RP

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

If you have the teaching certificate you will be fine. Getting a job in a private school, is just like getting one in public. The credentials are no different, except, some school may hire teachers without a certificate, if for example, you had a lot of experience in that field. Most private schools (not parochial) require that you have a certificate and good references, etc. Some may want teachers with more experience, but most private schools in my area hire new teachers as well. Age should not be a factor at all.

Be sure to find a school with the proper accrediation (not just from the state dept. of ed, but from an accreditation agency specifically for private schools.) You will have benefits and salary schedule that is sort of in line with the public system (within a percentage.) You can look at NAIS.org to find nationally accredited independent schools, and each region also has an accedidation organization. These schools will have standards for hiring, but also for salary, and other important HR related things- like retirement packages.

Small, private schools, often religious schools, may not have all of this unless they are very well established. I have heard that small private schools can pay a quarter of the public school salaries. If you find a job in a good private school with a long history and all the accrediation, the pay will be fine. I am within a few thousand dollars of my friends with equal schooling and experience who teach in public schools.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

You really can't generalize. In my area, it is totally possible to get a teaching job in a private school without a certificate. A master's degree wouldn't be necessary. Some schools pay commensurate with public, many don't. I think the most important qualification for a position is a 'fit' with the school and its philosophy.

5. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

I agree. In addition, the parochial schools in my area will not hire teachers with out proper state certification and are accredited. However, in this area, the pay is low.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I'll parrot what others have said: it's impossible to generalize. Some areas typically accept teachers without certification but with higher level degrees, while others typically accept teachers with certification but without advanced degrees. It really depends on where you live and the school to which you're applying.

Why do you want to teach in a private school? They can be wonderful. Just don't discount the possibility of teaching in a public school. Many public school districts offer alternate routes to certification. It's worth checking out in your area.