Wanting to teach HS Criminal Justice or Sociology... (Texas)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RussianBlueMommy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 19, 2016

So I am almost done with my B.S in Criminal Justice with Double Major in Sociology, and several schools around here are hiring Criminal Justice instructors for high school for next school year (would be perfect timing, since i am about to start my alternative educator prep program). I was wondering, what would be considered a content test for that? The job description says they want you to have a degree in Criminal Justice or Sociology (Which I will have), and that you need one of several certificates (probationary, etc...)

If it helps, I'm in Texas and they require 2 tests minimum for your certificate. A PPR (Pedagogical Professional Responsibilities Test) and a "content test". There is no specific Criminal Justice, here are the options...
    http://cms.texes-ets.org/files/7514...rtification_program_tests_offered_2015_16.pdf

I guess it would fall under Social Studies 7-12?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 19, 2016

It's not what we on A to Z think that counts, it's what the state of Texas thinks. Sociology is indeed under the aegis of social studies/social science in most states - which means that, unless you're also required to have a certain number of history credits under your belt, you might ending up teaching more history than sociology. Criminal justice COULD be considered a subfield of social science by way of the civics/law connection, but at least one ACP in Texas lumps criminal justice under career and technology education. You might try searching for a regional or state association of criminal justice teachers; either the website will tell you what you need to know, or you'll find a useful Contact Us.

4. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Oct 19, 2016

I would ask your acp advisor, when you get one.
    Also, look at schools that have the job postings, what does it say for qualifications and what not?

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 19, 2016