Wanting to teach CS at another school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 13, 2019

I’ve got a new CS certification by passing the Praxis Exam and will be updating my teaching certificate. In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out how to get the word out to nearby principals that I’d be willing to teach math and CS if positions ever open up. Would it be tacky for me to send emails to Ps to express my desires and intentions? Or should I just wait for the job openings to start showing up on the job board and apply at that moment?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2019

It doesn’t hurt to put a bug in their ear. DH wanted to switch from math to computers, so he mentioned it to the principal a couple years before a computer teacher was set to retire. That’s how he got his job.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 14, 2019

Put in applications in the districts that would be high on your list of where you would love to work, including the commute, which I would seriously try to make much shorter. So submit the applications, I would think you are going to want to rework your resume to show strength in CS, and then hope something comes up. Like I said, I wouldn't be putting in applications at places that have long commutes, because, well, you already have that and it is getting old. Best of luck.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 14, 2019

Do you mean take a personal day and drop off resumes cold? Cuz nothing is listed on the job board so I can’t really “apply” for jobs.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 14, 2019

I'm sure they have mailing addresses, don't they? Just put a short blurb in with it to tell them you just wanted to get the word out because you are very excited about a potential position. Ask them to remember you if an opening comes along.

7. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Nov 19, 2019

I am in the same boat as you. I am a physics teacher adding computer science to my credential. I want to switch over to computer science.
    I plan on emailing principals in the schools where I want to work and let them know. I do not plan on mailing hard copies of a resume since no one likes postal mail and postal mail is easily misplaced. Email is best.
    I teach in Georgia. I have my eye open for postings but I am afraid that computer science isn't going to be posted because it's so hard to find a CS teacher that they won't bother. This is why I will be emailing principals around Christmas break.