Wanting to Have a Tattle and a Letter Can..Need Cute Titles/Sayings

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I got those little trash cans from the dollar store with the swing lids. What I want to do with them is to have 1 as a tattle can and the other as a letter can (for example, students who write me little notes or drawings, they can place them in the can and I will check it every day.)

What I want to do with them is to give them a little cute title for each (I don't just wanna say this is the tattle can and the letter can lol)

So what are some cute sayings or titles I can put on these little trash cans (they are yellow in color but I want something to distinguish one from the other lol)

3. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I would just call the letter one... the Mail Box. The tattling one, I would go with a Bug Me Box, and just put either bug pictures (like mosquitoes), explaining that the bugs annoy or bother you, and hence the "Bug me box."

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

Be careful with the tattle box. I tried it one year, years ago, and it turned into something very negative within the classroom. I'm not saying it won't work, just be careful how you do it in your classroom.

5. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

thats cute!

6. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

How about "Can It!"

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

How about 911 (tattle) 411 (notes to you) ? Then you could also teach a lesson about the use of 911, what constitutes a real emergency and parlay that into a lesson on what constitutes real needs for tattling.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

I like your ideas, except that 911 is for emergencies (and necessary), and aren't we trying to teach that tattling isn't necessary?

9. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

OMG I LOVE it!

10. Alison21

Alison21 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Our tattle can is called Busy Bee. When the kids come up to me to tattle, I just say, "Go tell Busy Bee." :)

11. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I agree. I tried to use one in my room a few years ago and ended up having a really bad experience with it. I wouldn't do it again.

However my friend that teaches at a different school uses one and loves it.

I really like the bug idea.

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I usually call it my mail box, but it's not just for tattling. It can be any problem/issue/topic the students want to write about, including positive things. My SPED inclusion teacher suggested "Glow and Groan Box" last year, which I liked.

13. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I love this idea! I think I'm gonna steal it. Thanks! =)

14. newteacherkt

newteacherkt Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I really think I'm going to do this in my classroom. I'm a first year teacher so we'll see. If you don't mind sharing, what were some of the negative things that were happening? I would like to keep a look out for these things happening and seeing signs before they get out of hand. Thanks!

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

When you have a tattle box/journal/etc., do you find the kids tattling more? I wonder if they'd tattle just to participate.
    I have no personal schema on a tattle box, so I honestly have no idea.

16. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

For me, it has depended on the class. With my dramatic class a few years ago, I had multiple notes almost every week for the whole year. This past year, I had about 5 during on the year. Overall, I don't think the kids tattle more, but I do think they use the box more for the first couple of weeks.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

I wonder if you made it so that they had to fill out a little form to tattle, if it wouldn't seem so worth it. I'm thinking of this with my sixth graders this year, because I know the class I have coming is full of tattlers, just from experience on the playground in past years.

I have to suggest the book A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue, by Julia Cook. She came to our school last year as a guest, and read this and others to us. I loooove this book. It has worked wonders with my own children as well. We use the 4 Tattle Rules all the time! She also has some great other books (some of my favorites are I Am A Booger, Treat Me With Respect, Bully Beans, My Mom Thinks She's My Volleyball Coach But She's Not (great with my sixth graders), My Mouth is a Volcano, and my favorite Scoop)

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

How about, "Talk to the Can"?

19. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

oh man I like that too!

20. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Well I work at a lower income neighborhood school. I was having things that happened outside of school being put in just so they could extend the issue. I even had to take one event to the office to see if the police needed to get involved. :eek: Turned out that the incident was 2 years old and the police had already been called. The student involved was just trying to restart the fire so to speak. Yeah after that I put the box away. I had less issues if they just came to me after class.

21. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

Yes, that is what I am driving toward. :) Ultimately, if done correctly, they will come to find that tattling is not an emergency, nor is it necessary. However, as I read it today, it seems lame to me. Ah the cold hard light of day.:lol:

22. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I would make sure that you really emphasis and teach the difference between tattling and reporting. We do a whole mini lesson on it. I want to make sure my students know that reporting is when someone is injured, being bullied, or an emergency. Tattling is everything else.
    I try to go back to that as often as I can through the year.

23. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

This is my approach as well. I sometimes have to ask, "Are you telling me this to help someone or to get someone in trouble?"

24. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

I would from day one tell the students the can is for little things..if it is an emergency or something obviously tell me..but those little things like "he looked at me" etc. and they cannot let it go, they can write it and send it to me lol

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

This is what the book Tattle Tongue is all about. Here are the 4 tattle rules:

Be a Danger Ranger
    --if someone is in immediate danger, you must warn someone in charge right away.

Be a Problem Solver
    --If the problem involves YOU, take charge and try hard to solve it yourself. (If it doesn't, see rule #4)

Now or Later?
    --Is the problem a NOW problem or a NOT NOT problem? Can it be solved at a later time?

MYOB-Mind Your Own Beezwax!
    --If the problem is not dangerous and does not involve you, DO NOT TATTLE!

26. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

I have added that book to my list, thanks!

27. bmondin

bmondin Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

I did a little place where students would tattle to Toby. Toby was the Tattling turtle. I had him on the back counter and children would tell him and not me. they would write it in the sheet of paper and stick it in the turtles nest.(under Toby) It worked well and eventually the tattling stopped. the funny part is that fact that you couldn't read the writing because it was Kindergartners. It was funny trying to read the tattle. The only words that you could read was ones that were on the sight wall, that the name of the person doing the tattling!

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

How about Knex, and Lego
    Knex for Connects with teacher
    Lego for Let it go..................

29. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

So thoughtful!!!! wow.