Wanting to become an Elementary Science Teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Scarlet646, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Scarlet646

Scarlet646 Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have posted in the general discussion before on the possibility of becoming a teacher (at first I wanted to do high school). Lately I have been thinking about elementary education, since I love the younger kids versus teenagers. I graduated with a BS in Biology and a minor in Chemistry, and currently work in the Children's Department of a library.

I keep hearing that there are no jobs out there for elementary teachers! This is very disheartening. I don't know whether to begin graduate school, or just get my initial licence and try to find a job, if there even are any.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

There are jobs out there, but they are scarce and far between. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply and give it your best shot.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 13, 2012

Apply but some districts do not offer departmentalized science in Elementary.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 13, 2012

You will find that there are very few departmentalized science program in Elementary, and most of those are filled internally. You'd have to be credentialed as an elementary education teacher with extra science classes (which I assume you already have.)

Check with your state credentialling office. You'll need classes in elementary education, pedagogy, etc. They can tell you exactly what you'll need.

People are often under the false assumption that all you have to do is pass a test or two, but that isn't true for elementary education. Your best bet might be a career switcher program.

Best of luck...

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 13, 2012

Some schools in my district have science in the specials rotation, with PE, music, art, etc. Usually it's the bigger schools that have the unusual specials because they need to accommodate more classes in the rotation. I (computer lab) am coming out of the rotation the year after next, and my school hasn't decided how (or with what money) to replace me. I always push for a science teacher, because we have an awesome science lab that is very seldom used for science!

7. Scarlet646

Scarlet646 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012

Sorry for such a delayed response.

I appreciate all of your great advice! It's really tough to decide what to spend time and money on, especially in this economy!

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

I have the same degree as you and currently teach 3rd grade after a career as a research scientist. As an elementary school teacher, I teach all subjects but science is my passion. I'm the "science" resource for other teachers at my school and love sharing ideas, lessons and experiments. I also help run an after school science club. I love getting my students excited about science!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

I agree with the advice to find out what you need to do to get certified. You may want to consider middle school level. Sixth graders are still young and many of them have an intense interest in science. We do more "activities" than real labs, but by 8th grade they do pretty intense science.