Wanted: Lesson Resources for Photography

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mhudnall, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mhudnall

mhudnall New Member

Jun 29, 2005

Hi there everyone! I just got myself a job on Monday teaching Photography (traditional and digital) at the High School level. I am looking for lesson ideas, resources, etc to help me out. This will be my first year teaching, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 30, 2005

I worked at summer camp a few years ago, and one of the camps we did was a fine arts week... and we spent a day on photography... this was 4-6th graders, though, so probably a bit lower level than youre looking for... still, you might be able to adapt...

We gave the kids disposable cameras and, after some instruction, sent them off on a photo scavenger hunt... the instruction consisted of things like perspective (to make something look taller, angle up, to make it look smaller, look down on it), shadows (looking into the sun vs. away from it), etc... obviously you're going to go more indepth. ;)

Their scavenger hunt was things like something that reminds you of home, something silly, something tiny, something strange, something that reminds you of camp, something that reminds you of God (this was church camp), etc. At the end of the week, after we got the pictures back, they got to make photo albums/scrapbooks... it was a cool project, and a neat souvenir to take home from camp!

OK, that was a bit young for you, but maybe it gies you a starting point?

4. vizavis

vizavis Rookie

Jun 30, 2005

Try Pinhole!

May I suggest exploring the traditional area of photography using the pinhole camera.? I believe that your high school students will benefit form this most basic format in the photographic arts. Not only will developing their own prints be easier, they will gain an understanding of the basic elements of science, math, design and compostition which are incorporated in photography.

A great site is www.pinhole.org. I has more info than a teacher could possibly use as well as good links to other sources. You can make the camera from almost anything- Spam cans, oatmeal boxes...whatever, all you need is photo printing paper (the traditional kind, not printer stuff) and a few developing chemicals.

One more thing, I have never yet seen a pinhole photo that was not art. really! They all look great, with a little practice. Each of the prints is subtle, slightly hazed -over and "other-worldly". They are gratifying examples of work which will cause your students to "invest" themselves what you are teaching.
    Best wishes and enjoy!

5. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 30, 2005

What an amazing site!!