Wanted: hints on how to pass the Praxis II: early childhood test

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by munchkin, Jun 24, 2008.

1. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

I am attempting to add an additional area to my certification, in hopes of boosting my chances of getting a teaching job. I HAVE elementary certification, but am going for early childhood. The test that my state requires is 0021.
    The study group seems to be filled with people 20 years+ younger than me, or has graduated school in the past 3 years, not the 28 years like me. Its terrifying me!
    That's beside the point. What books/tapes do you recommend to review with?? The regular ones are too Confusing! THey don't seem to have "sample" tests for the one I need. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place... Please help

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2008

Whether practice questions are useful can be argued; there's at least one well-regarded prep book whose author declares that practice questions are worthless. I don't think I'd go that far - practice questions are useful for reminding one of what one doesn't know yet . But the declaration raises a good point, which is that many test takers assume that the practice questions in the prep book must be Just Like the questions they'll see on the test... and when that turns out not to be the case, they get very frustrated and very resentful and they tend to give in.

Praxis II prep books tend to cover more than one test, in hopes that more than one type of test taker will buy them. You should find that at least some of the questions in the elementary-education tests cover ground that you're expected to cover in 0021. You might also see if organizations such as NAEYC, which oversees early education, might have some help for you.

As to ages, it's not uncommon for the person who's been out of college for a decade or two or three to do better on the test than do the very, very recent grads.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I would make sure you know about general principles of teaching and how children learn. Be able to explain your answers and give as much detail as possible. Good luck!

5. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

found some resources. Took a practice one, and flubbed it big time! I was so nervous, I forgot to mark my answers on the bubble sheet. Yikes!:eek:
    When she gave us the answer key, I just wanted to cry. But, atleast I know, that I need lots and lots of practice.;)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2008

Breathe, munchkin, please.