Wanted - Fun, EASY way to help students learn each other's names!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Erin Elizabeth, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 20, 2008

I'm at a loss on this one. Any suggestions for 1st graders? Some of whom are quite shy? :thanks:

3. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Aug 20, 2008

You could do a name comparison sheet... make up a worksheet with three columns, one for less letter in someone else's name than their's, the same amount of letters, and more letters.

Name glyphs could be fun... have the kids write their names in large letters and decorate them with symbols (like the first letter has hearts to represent all the people in their family, the second represents their favorite subject in school, the third their favorite sport, etc...) after they finish, they could walk around and share and compare theirs.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

We do greetings as a part of our morning meeting everyday and the kids learn each other rooms very quickly.
    You could also sing Willaby Wallaby...

5. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I have all their names in a pocket chart. After the first day, I put their pictures in with it as well. After a couple of days of reading the names together, I leave up the pictures but take down the names. I slowly show one letter of a name, and we have to guess who it is... then place it by the picture it belongs with. By the end of the week, we are putting them into songs.

The first day we make a math graph of their names by how many letters are in them.

Their pictures and names also go on the alphabet chart.

They also get put into a classroom book.

6. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I forgot, after we get good at the names, we change the first letter of them in the pocket chart. So instead of Dan, Bobby, Lucy.... they would say Can, Cobby, Cucy (if learning C). Be very careful though (some names become offensive with some letters). Also, I ask students if they want to hear their name funny (some kids will say no at first, but usually they all love it after a couple of letters... when they realize that everyone is laughing at the funny names, not at them or their real name.

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 21, 2008

You might have the children do the clapping game.Eachchild says their name,then tries to clap it out according to syllables in their name.Example E liz a beth.Then the whole class claps out the name. After a few times the class should know each others name.
    You might also have the children sit in a circle and ask a question such as What is your favorite food? Then the first child must say their name and tell their favorite food,then each in the circle must say the name of the child who went before them and what their favorite food is. Then the child gives their name and favorite food and passes to the person next to them.If you have some volunteers you might see how far a student can go around the circle without making a mistake.(My fourth and fifth graders are much better at it then I am,but it might be difficult for first graders.)

8. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

The motion name game is always fun to break the ice... Have your class stand in a circle. Anyone can begin the game by saying his/her name and making up a motion (stomping, clapping, rubbing belly, just about anything) to go with it. When the person is done, the entire group repeats the name and the motion. Then, the second person introduces him/herself and does a motion. The entire group repeats that name/motion and then the first name/motion. This will continue until each person has given their name and done their motion, and the entire group has repeated everyone’s name and motions.

9. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

Another fun one... Name Juggling.

You'll need lots of different soft objects in a bag. For example, foam balls, bean bags, stuffed animals and, you could even throw in rubber chickens that everyone here has been raving about. :)

To Play: Have the group form a circle. Pull out an item from the bag and call out a person's name who is across from you. Tell the person that you are going to toss the object to them. Once they catch it, tell them to call out a person's name who is across from them and toss the object, just like you did. The third person is to call out and toss to another person. These actions are repeated until all people are included. No one is to go twice, except when the last person is called, he is to say your name and toss to you, the first person. Try this again and once the group understands the concept, add another object in the tossing process. Then another and another and another. Everyone will have to pay close attention because objects will be flying in all directions. :)

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 21, 2008

We sing "Hickelty Pickelty Bumble Bee." By the time we get to the end, everyone pretty much knows every one else's names.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 21, 2008

You could have them each come up during circle time or in front of the class and say their name and what they like to do for fun. Another way is this little game where you start a beat and clap hands, lap, hands , lap , hands, lap and you start for example: My names mrs. -----, and then choose something for them to say that starts with a the first letter of there name. For example, I had them say a boy or girls name (Boy name for the boys and girl names for the girls).

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

Today I laminated everyone's name in large letters. We'll use them in circle in different ways. I can hold them up and see who recognizes names, pass them out and they can figure out whose name they have, etc.

13. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Open court has a game that we play. We sit in a circle and take turns saying this rhyme "Michael Murphy (or kid's name), How are you? Who's that sitting next to you?" We go around the circle asking the question. I help them out if they forget the names.

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

15. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I have a very simple game that involves hand motions and a little rhyme. It goes: sitting in a circle
    Playing in a game
    when I point to you
    please tell me your name

as we do it we are doing an alternating hand clap and slapping our knees, so it's a very rhytmic chant...works well and gets them moving just a bit.

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

Take a look at this site, hummingbird.com/name-recognition.html it has lots of different ways to introduce especially for younger kids.

17. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

You can do the game "Who Stole the Cookie."

Students sit in a circle and pass around a cookie (or ball).
    Class says the chant (then can even tap their legs for a beat)...

Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar
    ____ stole the cookie from the cookie jar
    who me, yes you
    couldn't be, then who KEEP REPEATING

I've done it with preK -2nd. There are a few ways to play it.

1. You call out a students name where the blank is. Then child says the "who me" and the class echoes "yes you." Then child says the "couldn't be" and the class echoes "then who." You play the game until all students have spoken.

2. Students are in charge of saying names. 1 student goes in the middle and game is played like above except student in the middle chooses a name. At the end the "stealer" goes in the middle. Everyone gets a chance to be the "stealer" & the "caller."

3. Like #2 except the goal is to call out the students name who has the cookie. If they do then that person is caught (out). (As they get out they can form their own circle or just slide back and still do the chant. The great thing about this one is that they really want to pay attention & learn names to get people caught.

:D