Want to resign after 3rd week school

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teddydog, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

Teddy, partying doesn't mean drinking. It can mean going out and having fun with friends. To assume it means drinking you just eliminated a lot of the population that doesn't drink.

This post shows more that your problems are with administration and parents being able to control your workload. I can guarantee you would have received a much better response about possibilities of how to handle your situation if you focused on the problems of the job instead of focusing on the partying with your friends (not saying drinking here).

The first year is hard where ever you teach. It is harder when the school is difficult. Not all teachers hate their jobs, but almost every one had a tough first year because it is a challenge. There are many things that aren't taught in school. There are a million things to do and it all has to be done and organization is the key. Planning the first year is the toughest because you are learning and you have few resources to use. However, if you enjoy the teaching part, not the other crap that has a lot to do with the environment you are in, I wouldn't jeopardize a license because of a bad year. It is your choice, but be sure that it is teaching you hate, not just the current situation.

What are nontechnical friends?

2. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

Even though you think it is wrong to say?

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

You want to know why people are "jumping all over you?" IT'S BEEN THREE ______ WEEKS. THREE WEEKS. It's like starting a 10k, and quitting after the first hundred meters.

And the reason people are jumping on you is because people care about teaching. They realize how privileged they are to even have a job. And because of those reasons (people are passionate) and gonna speak their minds.

And one more thing: IT'S BEEN THREE. WEEKS.

4. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Typo.... Non teaching friends... Friends employed elsewhere think I am crazy.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

Hate autocorrect, don't you?

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

This is completely different from what it seemed in your previous posts. Admin and parents aren't like that everywhere...trust me. Perhaps you should stick it out, and try looking for a different school next year? (Unless you have a sure position doing something else more desirable.)

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

Hey, this whole thread has become a throwdown between a few longtime poster for what are obviously personal reasons instead of actual responses to the OP anyway, so what the heck, why not spread it over a few more threads.

There are multiple people who need to straighten things out in PMs, rather than threads, IMO.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

A hypothetical situation for the OP. Let's say things start to improve at your school. Admin and parents aren't the best, fine I can understand that. You find someone to mentor you, start to find ways to balance school and personal life, etc. You've already told your school you will be leaving in a few months but you decide you want to stay then what? It might be far fetched but what if you change your mind but have already told admin your leaving? Never say never know what I mean? What do you think that will say about you?
    I'm just trying to give you different way to look at this situation. I'm sure someone is gonna think I'm a "hater" but whatever. Teaching is a small world and you don't wanna burn any bridges. It'd be sad if this situation came back to bite you in the a$$.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I won't have this issue.

I actually sympathize and respect Teddy. She is a new teacher, and is saying she doesn't think the job is for her. I can respect her for wanting to get out and for doing so. We need dedicated teachers who can tackle the difficult work load that comes with teaching. I think 3 weeks is a bit too few, but, if she feels she gave it an honest go, I respect that.

I have no problem telling teachers, who have taught several years, understands the work load, and are having a horrible year, and want to leave midyear to "suck it up, work is hard". These teachers know what teaching is, how hard it can be, the effect it can have on students midyear.

So while you try to make it sound like I am just going to throw this out there, it won't be hard to find a thread on these forums, about this topic, where it will be an authentic response from me.

10. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

It sounds like it is your charter school that is having the issues, not the actual teaching profession. I would not give up on teaching just because of one shitty school. Trust me, you will find a school that is a much better fit if you don't give up right away. Teaching is the only job where it isn't as easy to just get up and walk away, like your friends might have it at their jobs.

My first job was at a charter school in AZ, and it was not easy. It was the first year it was open, and it was total chaos. I stuck around for 3 years, because it wasn't so bad that I had to leave until after year 3. The school has taken a drastic turn for the worse, and I am so glad I left when I did. Only you know the conditions of your current school, and if they are as bad as you have now shared with us, it does not sound like a good environment.

PM me if you want an AZ teacher to talk to.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

Thanks for clarifying for us. I do believe that your teaching situation is a tough one as I know how horribly some charter schools are run in Scottsdale. I wouldn't be surprised if you are at one of them. So I do believe your description of parents and admin there. For those not familiar with AZ, we are the charter school capital of the world. We have tons of them and it isn't difficult to start one here (unlike many states). Yes, many are very good, but some are nightmares.

I do think it is good that you are giving your P fair warning and staying until fall break. Until fall break, I think it would be good to work with other teachers or even a few of us to plan on a way to have a life and make a difference with students. I think a goal of a 45 hour work week could accomplish both.

Good luck to you.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

I was going to say this exact thing, cza, in response to Rainbowbird.

teddy~if it's admin and parents that are making you question whether or not teaching is for you, then I would stick it out and look for another teaching job for the next school year. As far as the many hours that you say you work nights and weekends on school work, why don't you let us know what you are spending on your time on and maybe we can help with some suggestions on how to cut that time down. Is it grading? Is it planning? Prep work for centers, etc? There are a lot of veteran teachers here who could give you tips on how to save time of all of that.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

Not for everyone. What some find rewarding, others may not.
    I had two student teaching assignments - one in "inner-city" Nashville and one in Williamson County Schools (TN). Neither was ANYTHING like my current urban, inner-city district. I have seen the same reaction from many other teacher ed people that enter my district; they are shocked at what goes on in this district and with these kids.
    I may be the only one willing to admit this, but I have also worked with teachers (even Admin) who visually assess and discuss whether new teachers will be able to hack it our district ... and your Panama story had me LOL!:lol::lol:

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2013

Good luck to the OP with whatever you decide.

Personally, I wouldn't quit because I can't afford to.
    Like everyone tells me, "in this economy, be grateful to have a job!"

15. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

I had a group of teachers do this to me my first year. They were sitting at the table next to me, and I heard one say to the other few,"I give her (nod towards me) 3 months." It really hurt my feelings. I was nice to them all year, and they were nice to me.

At the end of the year, I went up to one of them and said, "Well, I made it longer than 3 months." She immediately got defensive, and said, "I have no idea what you are talking about." I could tell by her body language that she DID know.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

Wow.

Alright, first as the 'veteran AtoZ poster that is supported to quit', I will say it is a vastly different situation. I've taught for years at another school, and the school I'm in is f'ed up. There are some serious issues, and I should have ran when the whole contract thing happened. I didn't, because it was important for me to get back to my family. I figured I could tough anything out for a year, and I will if I have to. I just don't see the situation ending well, so I'd rather end it on my terms. I have no desire to leave the profession. Despite my terrible hours, I have not done any school related work this weekend. Sure, I have school related work I could do, but after the week I had, I needed the mental break.
    My situation is different because I know it is the school I am at, not me or teaching in general. I didn't go to school to be a prison guard, and that, essentially, is what I've become.

Secondly, if you go way back to the beginning (first page, I think), I encouraged the OP to look for another teaching job. I said then that it may just be the environment. The OP apparently does not want to do that, which seems a little extreme. To spend all the time and money on college and throw it away after three weeks. Since the OP does not have a previous school to compare this school to, we cannot assume it is a screwed up school (like mine is).

17. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

She gave notice, if you guys skipped over that.

It is her life. She's decided.

Keep bickering if you have nothing better to do.

18. readingrules12

Aug 18, 2013

I agree with you on this. I don't think many would compare your situation with the OP's even if one or two did. It is really an apples vs. oranges comparison.

I also really hope you have a great week giraffe. I've been praying for you.:)

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

20. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

I had to quit a job three weeks into the school year. In the first week, my assigned classroom changed three times, and the room I ended up with was a storage closet that had been the office of someone who retired and left tons of confidential files for me to shred. Four IEPs were due by the second week ( I am a sped resource teacher). It was supposed to be a half-time job, and the principal told me at the end of the second week that it was now full- time. When I said I couldn't work full- time because I had a child with a health condition, she refused to talk to me ever again. After being ignored and glared at for a week, and having my students put in the middle of this, I gave her my cell phone number on a Friday and asked her to please call me so we could work this out. She did not call. I packed my things the following Monday, and my union rep could not believe what was going on. She went to talk to the principal, who said, "If she doesn't want to be here, I won't ask her to stay." I was out of there with a quickness.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I agree. When you are miserable and/or you just don't care, it is hard to fake it in teaching for too long. Or, if you're just feeling burnt out, it is easy for others to sense this even if you think you are hiding it well. This is not a cubicle job where you can sit behind a wall and "block out the world" and rant to yourself when you're upset. The kids can see, feel and sense it - especially at the secondary level. Not to mention, trying to suppress such emotions on a daily basis can lead to other serious health problems.

Just because it's a "known truth" that teachers work harder and earn less than others, does not mean that the OP cannot be upset about it. I often hear teachers complaining about how other people they know do not work nearly as hard but make more than them. Or, I hear career-changers talking about "how they took a pay cut/are earning less money now that they are teaching."

Yes, they know it is a truth, but it still sucks and upsets some people.

22. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2013

Uh, no. Yesterday late afternoon, teddy was asking about what to do and what would happen. By evening teddy decided to give notice (not that teddy already did) and even managed to get a lawyer friend to check over the contract. Teddy didn't say notice was given but something that teddy decided to do.

23. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

Did you lose your license?

24. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Aug 19, 2013

Just remember that you are making a permanent decision (shredding your license---even if you don't lose your license, it'd be next to impossible to find work after this) to solve a temporary problem.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2013

teddydog, I for one, am not telling you to hang in there. But, then again, teaching isn't really for me either. It was never my passion nor something I've been wanting to do since I was __ yrs old, like many posters here, although I did always want to work with children...just not in the capacity of teaching. I kind of stumbled into this field. I even have an MA in special ed. I much prefer one-on-one or small group teaching. I'm at a new school this year & I think it's going to be fantastic. I'm not a general ed teacher, but an SLP (speech-lang pathologist), so the things I have to do are very different from what a general ed teacher does. I was a special ed teacher briefly and I'm glad that's over & hope to never have to return to that. I'm very organized, etc. too, but doesn't mean teaching's for me.

Do what makes you happy because life's too short not to! I know the teachers here say to stick it out because many have taught for a long time & have probably had those reservations that you're feeling, but hey, since you're staying till fall break, good luck.

So, what's your next move? Going back to school, already have something lined up in another field, etc.?

That's a shame! I guess the new people are either too "weak" (according to the staff at your school) or the kids must be really bad.

I know when I first starting subbing, which is the very first time I ever worked with kids, I was surprised by their behavior. I'd never even dream of behaving the way kids today (even the little ones) are behaving. I never gave any teacher one bit of trouble. I've attended private schools & public schools.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

Interesting thread is really all I can say...

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2013

Or maybe schools were different in that teacher's country...or maybe she has no behavior mgt skills... :dizzy:
    Kids are surprising...well trained and educated professional have a variety of strategies for managing behaviors. Those who don't burn out quickly.:2cents:

28. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

I think this goes on in a lot of inner city schools, simply because many new teachers do not stick it out the year. Unfortunately our district does not offer much support to new teachers; fellow teachers do offer support, but can only lend so much because they are so strained from working in a difficult environment.

We had a teacher right out of college take over a 5th grade class on Halloween, of all days. I was astonished when she came in wearing a clown outfit, complete with makeup and clown shoes.Some of the teachers, myself included, had serious doubts about her judgement and wondered if she would last. She turned out to be a fantastic teacher who remained at the school for years.

29. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

You obviously aren't cut out to be a teacher. Like I'm not cut out to be a nurse or a truck driver. Meh. Move on with your life and find something you love doing with all your heart.

30. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Aug 19, 2013

Ha I can't imagine quitting 3 weeks in after a contract, it would look bad to future employers.

I have 19 ARDS due before school starts that the last year diag left as a present....

31. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Aug 19, 2013

My heart goes out to the OP.
    I can not imagine how tired and discouraged you must be right now. You spend 4 years preparing and planning to make a difference in the life of a child, only to find that your circumstances at your first school prevent you from doing so. It is so bad, that in 3 weeks you determine to quit/give notice despite the cost to your resume. For that I am truly sorry.

May I suggest that you seek out teachers from another school and get some help/mentoring from them? It really does take a while to get the swing of things. Some of the more experienced teachers have developed strategies that allow them to do a phenomenal job without sacrificing every waking hour at school or on school work.

Would you mind if we could help you troubleshoot the way your days/responsibilities/duties stack up to see if we can help you make it until your notice is up? Teaching is hard work, but it is also a tremendous joy. It appears you have learned the hard without the joy.

Let me know your thoughts. Perhaps we can make the next several weeks a more positive experience.

32. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 19, 2013

Best wishes for future endeavors. I was one of the ones who told you to suck it up, but do wish you well. I think you would have had a different response from myself and others if you presented yourself differently. It sounded like whining and the situation is well within your control to change.

33. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2013

I think it can also be attributed to an unsupportive admin. A challenging population with bad admin is a difficult situation and I honestly wouldn't blame the situation on a teacher's classroom management.

34. readingrules12

Aug 19, 2013

teddydog,

Not sure if you talked to the P yet. If not, it hit me today, what I think you should do IF you decided to quit.

If you are going to quit, and if you are going to talk to the P, I think you owe it to the P and to the students to let the P decide the day that you leave. Let him/her know that you are ready to call it quits, but you will work until he/she finds a replacement. I think since it has only been 3 weeks that it is the best way to handle it.

35. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

So it's okay to bag out on your job IF you have experience and IF you have decided go stay in teaching, but if your circumstances happen to be like the OP's, then that's not okay?

It sounds like she is in a horrible place. All I can say is, I'm amazed at the cruel and hateful comments from people who are supposed to be....teachers.

36. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

This is great advice.

I do wonder why other posters who are surreptitiously leaving jobs right now don't get similar advice? Why is okay for them but Teddy is being flogged for quitting on her kids, letting her district down, etc.?

Oh right it was so that the other poster didn't jeopardize her future prospects. :whistle: Btw I have no problem with EITHER person leaving their job if they feel they cannot stay.

Not saying you said these things, just pointing out the trend on this thread.

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

Not a fair statement at all. We don't know enough about the OP to make that judgement. She may well thrive in a more supportive environment.

38. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

Good advice!

There are many jobs in education that Teddy might like and do very well in. There are other ways to touch lives. She may have a gift, like you, of helping children with some other component of their development.

39. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 20, 2013

I hope you know that no one--at least I don't--thinks that you are doing anything wrong. You have a perfect right to leave and start afresh. I think Teddy does, as well. Her reasons don't seem all that different, given the new information she has posted.

We all have different experiences as a first year teacher. I personally was in a toxic school and the "mentor" assigned to me was a bitter, frustrated teacher who was involved in every negative, gossipy situation going. She told me flat out that she didn't want to be a mentor, but she was doing it because she had to. To top it off, she was best friends with the woman I was replacing, who went on a year long maternity leave. The principal didn't want this woman back, but my mentor spent all year scheming to try to get her back in her position. Needless to say I didn't feel supported. When I attempted to find support from other teachers, I was castigated for being disloyal to my "mentor". I stuck it out but I don't know how.

I think we need to remember that everyone's situation is different and we sometimes just don't know what battles they are fighting. It would have been nice if some folks here had given her the benefit of the doubt at least until they had more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.