Want to resign after 3rd week school

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teddydog, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

unfortunately in the beginning that is what teaching is............ alot of time working outside the class..... good luck in your future endeavors.

2. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

It will get easier- promise. Like Caesar said, you need boundaries.
    Also, sometimes schools are not the right fit. This can make a huge difference- I know this first hand!

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

It seems like quite the waste to quit so soon. You haven't even really given the job any time to really decide if you like it or not. Before you resign, I would start job hunting to make sure you have another job lined up. It would suck to quit and have no job to fall back on, thinking you could find a job like your friends and then not find anything.

It is your choice to work all evening and on the weekends. Leave work at school and enjoy your free time- it's important to have that time to relax and decompress from a stressful day/week.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

This is 2013. A lot of jobs require extra hours. Some get paged in the middle of the night. Some get called to work extra shifts.

I do agree that there does get a point that too much work isn't good. I think Caesar is right. Teaching can be done in less hours than what you are putting in now. There are a lot of teachers who spend work 2 hours on the weekend and don't work more than one night a week. It can be done.

The first year is the most hours of any year. This is true in most professions. If you pay your dues and work a few hours and set up really good plans, you won't have to do as much the next year.

I am not saying you shouldn't quit. That is your personal decision. I do think you can get by with working 45 hours a week, but you will need to get some teachers to show you how that is done. I know a Scottsdale teacher and she enjoys her weekends and evenings. She did put a lot of hours in her first year so she doesn't have to now.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

I sorry..work is hard. Teaching does get easier, but it requires commitment, organization and hard work.

Your parents should be encouraging you to grow a pair. ...since they aren't, let me. Suck it up. Work is hard. Any work. Life is not always what you expect. You can't always get what you want. There are rewards to diligence and hard work...seems you don't know that...and running from things that are hard is going to end up on a lifetime of disappointment. How sad.
    On second thought, maybe you should quit. If you don't have stamina and commitment, how could you possibly expect your students to develop those character traits?

Good luck to you.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Are you in Scottsdale Unified? I would cross your T's and dot your i's.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

Only you know if teaching is something you want to do or if you gave it an honest go.

First year is toughest. I would stick it out, but if you don't like it, quit and walk away.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 17, 2013

:agreed:

Teaching is hard work and it's one of the few jobs where there is no 'ease in' period. On your first day you are in the classroom and expected to be doing as well as the teacher down the hall with 30 years experience. There is a steep learning curve and 3 weeks is not nearly long enough to know if it's for you or not.

It's okay to walk away from the job. You don't have to work every evening and weekend to be a great teacher. Make sure you take time to go out with your friends and enjoy yourself. It makes you a better teacher in the long run because you aren't burned out.

Scmom gave great advice. Think about it.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Honestly, the first year is super tough. I thought of myself as a big phony. I didn´t know what I was doing. Also, it takes a while to train the kids. I think of them more like zoo animals than a real class in the beginning. Why did you go into teaching anyway? If you were passionate about it once, I would imagine you can bring that passion back if you give it time. I seriously don´t see how 3 weeks is enough time to assess how you truly feel because 1) it is tough your first year and 2) the beginning of the school year is always tough the first couple of months as you build community and establish routines and expectations. I never look forward to that time of the year because it is always rough. Once you have established those things and your class is running more smoothly, you´ll be able to focus on the actual teaching.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Did you graduate from an accredited teacher preparation program? It sounds like you had absolutely no idea what you were getting into. I know real world teaching is different than student teaching, but you should have had some sort of idea. I can remember feeling this way in college. My roommate was an accounting major and could go out drinking on Thursday nights, even senior year when she was an intern at an accounting office. Let's face it......she was sitting in an office, which is easier to do with a hangover than dealing with a group of students. I remember feeling really resentful back then.

Also, I would like for you to honestly answer this question: Why do you think they hired you? Give me 5 reasons why you think they hired you.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Meh, I say if you're positive you never want to teach again, go ahead and quit. Who cares if your license is revoked if you don't want to teach? The kids are better off without a teacher who seems very apathetic about them and honestly, I'm sure there are hundreds of passionate teachers in Scottsdale that can do better by them.

If you don't want to teach ever again, what's the hesitation for?

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 17, 2013

I second what czacza said. This is not the type of job you can quit after 3 weeks. If you don't like it, you suck it up until June. You can work far less hours. In fact, you should. What is taking up your time?
    Regardless of the consequences from the district or board, you will look like a disloyal employee to prospective employers.

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Based on the statements of the poster, I think it's the children who would suffer most by her sticking it out. I'll bet she could be replaced by someone who'd love to have a job in a few days.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I agree. It's not really about the teacher, it's about the students. If the teacher isn't "feeling" it, the students are not going to "feel" it.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 17, 2013

Teaching is a job. Jobs require work. Work can be hard.

I'm on year 21, and I don't enjoy every moment of every day. This year I've failed to enjoy one particular time every day of my two weeks so far. I might dislike it all year.

Sometimes I think people give up too easy. I put a lot of time & money into becoming a teacher. When I don't like something, I find a way to make it better.

If you are spending all your time on your job, you are going to burn out fast. Take a look at what you do. Chances are many things you think you have to do are not truly necessary.

Three weeks isn't enough time to get a handle on any job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.