Want to resign after 3rd week school

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teddydog, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Does anyone know a teacher who resigned from an AZ school during the start of the school year. What happened to them? I do not care if my license gets dinged; just want out of a bad situation. Not sure if I should just go in and resign immediately or if I should give 30 days and request release from the Board? If they say no, then what?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

I think 3 weeks in is a bit early to pull out.:2cents:

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

What is the reason you are wanting to resign after only 3 weeks? Many times your license does not just get dinged.. it can be revoked and you can no longer teach. Not everyone does that, but they can. That is something to think about if you want to teach in AZ again.

I don't know anyone that left that early, but we had a teacher leave last year in February. She went to district, and they told our principal to just release her right away without making her stay any additional days. I know of another teacher in our district who is leaving due to her husband getting a new job and moving out of state.

I would read through your contract, and see what it says is the penalty for leaving early. In some districts, you need to pay a fee to break your contract.

5. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I am in my third week in AZ as well. It is challenging where I am, but don't give up. Seek out a master teacher. I am in a TAP school... also Title 1. If you want to talk privately pm me. Don't give up. It's hard in the beginning.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

It depends on your contract. If it requires a certain notice, you could lose your license.
    Where I teach (charter), I can quit without notice.

7. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

First teaching job at an elementary school in Scottsdale. I am not enjoying it. Know in my heart it is not what I want to do. So seems silly to stay a year hating it; not fair to kids or me. I know I should have thought about this before, but never taught and so really did not know. All the contract says is that you can not resign without Board approval and they do not have to allow you to resign. It does not state anything about monetary payment; but they could suspend or revoke. Does say something about 30 days.

8. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

sorry teddy........... I wish I could trade districts with you though......... My advice is to try and make the best out of it. You made a commitment. Leaving wouldn't be fair either........... but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately, college doesn't prepare us well enough about real life in a classroom. It's not for everyone ............. I'm having a challenging time this year too. I feel your pain

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I teach in AZ. It depends on the P and a little on the school board. Explain your situation to the P. If he/she lets you out, he/she will ask you to write a letter of resignation and it will be submitted to the school board. If you have the P's support, it will likely be approved and you'll be fine. If you don't have the P's support, you have a tough battle and could lose your teaching license. What is the probability of that? It is really hard to say and depends on how much the P wants to push the situation.

Personally, I agree that 3 weeks is too early to quit unless you committed some serious crime. If it is the students, you can get help and still turn the year around to make it a lot easier for you.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

Are you intending to leave the field entirely, or are you wanting to look for a different position at another school?

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

The first year is tough for most people.

Teaching is hard work. It can be frustrating. It can be exhausting. It is always challenging.

Many, many, many people want to quit at times. Something like 30% of teachers quit in the first 5 years.

I agree that 3 weeks is not enough time to judge if you are a good fit for this profession. Three years may not be enough time, to tell you the truth.

We often get new teachers on the forum who panic when things aren't going perfectly. Only you know if this is true and if you are willing to work through it. Ask for help. Get a mentor. Ask us for advise. Evaluate what you are doing and change 1 thing at a time. Don't let the kids see you sweat, believe you are in charge and do it! Don't let your fear make a decision for you. If you decide to quit, do it as gracefully as possible with the least impact on the kids that you can manage.

Good luck!

12. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

No crime, not students. Just really not liking teaching and absolutely hating working all the hours for nothing. My other friends are out enjoying weekend and I am stuck at school during during and working all night and weekend. Not what I want. My parents say to just quit and move on as it is more than what I bargained for. Anyone else familiar with Scottsdale's teacher agreement?

13. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Planning on leaving permanently! Just know in my heart it is not my thing and I am young and can do other things too.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

You're doing something wrong. You need to cut things off and go home at a reasonable time, where you need to decompress and not do school stuff for the evening.

15. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Resign forever! No looking back.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

If you're not going to continue in the field, then it shouldn't really matter when/how you quit. You won't be using your license, so anything they do to your license (suspend, revoke) doesn't really matter.

17. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

unfortunately in the beginning that is what teaching is............ alot of time working outside the class..... good luck in your future endeavors.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

It will get easier- promise. Like Caesar said, you need boundaries.
    Also, sometimes schools are not the right fit. This can make a huge difference- I know this first hand!

19. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

It seems like quite the waste to quit so soon. You haven't even really given the job any time to really decide if you like it or not. Before you resign, I would start job hunting to make sure you have another job lined up. It would suck to quit and have no job to fall back on, thinking you could find a job like your friends and then not find anything.

It is your choice to work all evening and on the weekends. Leave work at school and enjoy your free time- it's important to have that time to relax and decompress from a stressful day/week.

20. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

This is 2013. A lot of jobs require extra hours. Some get paged in the middle of the night. Some get called to work extra shifts.

I do agree that there does get a point that too much work isn't good. I think Caesar is right. Teaching can be done in less hours than what you are putting in now. There are a lot of teachers who spend work 2 hours on the weekend and don't work more than one night a week. It can be done.

The first year is the most hours of any year. This is true in most professions. If you pay your dues and work a few hours and set up really good plans, you won't have to do as much the next year.

I am not saying you shouldn't quit. That is your personal decision. I do think you can get by with working 45 hours a week, but you will need to get some teachers to show you how that is done. I know a Scottsdale teacher and she enjoys her weekends and evenings. She did put a lot of hours in her first year so she doesn't have to now.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

I sorry..work is hard. Teaching does get easier, but it requires commitment, organization and hard work.

Your parents should be encouraging you to grow a pair. ...since they aren't, let me. Suck it up. Work is hard. Any work. Life is not always what you expect. You can't always get what you want. There are rewards to diligence and hard work...seems you don't know that...and running from things that are hard is going to end up on a lifetime of disappointment. How sad.
    On second thought, maybe you should quit. If you don't have stamina and commitment, how could you possibly expect your students to develop those character traits?

Good luck to you.

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Are you in Scottsdale Unified? I would cross your T's and dot your i's.

23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

Only you know if teaching is something you want to do or if you gave it an honest go.

First year is toughest. I would stick it out, but if you don't like it, quit and walk away.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 17, 2013

:agreed:

Teaching is hard work and it's one of the few jobs where there is no 'ease in' period. On your first day you are in the classroom and expected to be doing as well as the teacher down the hall with 30 years experience. There is a steep learning curve and 3 weeks is not nearly long enough to know if it's for you or not.

It's okay to walk away from the job. You don't have to work every evening and weekend to be a great teacher. Make sure you take time to go out with your friends and enjoy yourself. It makes you a better teacher in the long run because you aren't burned out.

Scmom gave great advice. Think about it.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Honestly, the first year is super tough. I thought of myself as a big phony. I didn´t know what I was doing. Also, it takes a while to train the kids. I think of them more like zoo animals than a real class in the beginning. Why did you go into teaching anyway? If you were passionate about it once, I would imagine you can bring that passion back if you give it time. I seriously don´t see how 3 weeks is enough time to assess how you truly feel because 1) it is tough your first year and 2) the beginning of the school year is always tough the first couple of months as you build community and establish routines and expectations. I never look forward to that time of the year because it is always rough. Once you have established those things and your class is running more smoothly, you´ll be able to focus on the actual teaching.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Did you graduate from an accredited teacher preparation program? It sounds like you had absolutely no idea what you were getting into. I know real world teaching is different than student teaching, but you should have had some sort of idea. I can remember feeling this way in college. My roommate was an accounting major and could go out drinking on Thursday nights, even senior year when she was an intern at an accounting office. Let's face it......she was sitting in an office, which is easier to do with a hangover than dealing with a group of students. I remember feeling really resentful back then.

Also, I would like for you to honestly answer this question: Why do you think they hired you? Give me 5 reasons why you think they hired you.

27. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Meh, I say if you're positive you never want to teach again, go ahead and quit. Who cares if your license is revoked if you don't want to teach? The kids are better off without a teacher who seems very apathetic about them and honestly, I'm sure there are hundreds of passionate teachers in Scottsdale that can do better by them.

If you don't want to teach ever again, what's the hesitation for?

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 17, 2013

I second what czacza said. This is not the type of job you can quit after 3 weeks. If you don't like it, you suck it up until June. You can work far less hours. In fact, you should. What is taking up your time?
    Regardless of the consequences from the district or board, you will look like a disloyal employee to prospective employers.

29. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 17, 2013

Based on the statements of the poster, I think it's the children who would suffer most by her sticking it out. I'll bet she could be replaced by someone who'd love to have a job in a few days.

30. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I agree. It's not really about the teacher, it's about the students. If the teacher isn't "feeling" it, the students are not going to "feel" it.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 17, 2013

Teaching is a job. Jobs require work. Work can be hard.

I'm on year 21, and I don't enjoy every moment of every day. This year I've failed to enjoy one particular time every day of my two weeks so far. I might dislike it all year.

Sometimes I think people give up too easy. I put a lot of time & money into becoming a teacher. When I don't like something, I find a way to make it better.

If you are spending all your time on your job, you are going to burn out fast. Take a look at what you do. Chances are many things you think you have to do are not truly necessary.

Three weeks isn't enough time to get a handle on any job.

32. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 17, 2013

I may be unpopular, but I think you made a commitment and you should finish what you signed up to do. It's not fair to your students to leave after less than a month. What job is going to be easy and allow you to have unlimited time for friends? None that I know of. A local teacher just got her first job after more than 7 years of applying. If you still feel this way when your contract is up, then leave. Teaching takes a great deal of sacrifice and commitment.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

Yes, teaching is hard work. It is also very rewarding. Pull up your big girl/boy panties, suck it up and remember why you went into teaching to begin with.

Then, know this, the first 6 weeks give or take of every school year is challenging. You're setting up a community of learners, it's hard. You're getting to know the kids and they you.

At week 3 you're probably just starting to get into real teaching. It's not enough time to decide if you like this profession or not.

Do you have a mentor? If so, talk to them, bounce ideas off of them. If you have team mates ask for their help.

Don't make teaching your life. It can take every waking minute if you allow it to. Set those boundaries. As long as you are prepared for the next day your ready.

Good luck to you.

34. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 18, 2013

You don't say what type of jobs your friends have that they have the time and money to play all weekend and every night while you are stuck being responsible to a job that takes a lot of time until you really understand what you are doing and learn how to work smarter, not harder.

You made a commitment. Change your attitude and find a good mentor at the school that can teach you how to do your job more efficiently.

Now, there may be something you aren't sharing with us. Is there a reason it takes you every night and every weekend? Is there a reason you think this will continue for your entire teaching career if you stay?

Now, what will you do if you quit? What kind of 9-5 high paying job are you qualified for? You may find that any job you are qualified for at this point will require evening and weekend hours so you won't be available to play with your friends anyway.

35. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

First of all, take a deep breath. Realize that you've just begun and it will get easier. It really will. You will learn how to do this job so that it isn't taking every waking minute. Yes, the first year will be tough but you will get through it.

The classroom can be a very isolating place. Usually you are the only adult there. Seek out your peers, mentors, make friends with you custodian and of course, any para professionals assigned to you. These little contacts throughout the day will make a world of difference.

Someone hired you because they thought you were a good teacher and have talent. It is hard to get a teaching job these days. It is hard to get any kind of a job! Think long and hard about what you are throwing away. If you leave without some sort of extenuating circumstances, you will likely never get another teaching job.

I would try to stick it out. Just give it one year. If it really doesn't work for you, then you can say that you did it and gave it your best shot. Good luck!!!!!

36. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

This is true, but a lot of new teachers go into shock,I think, when faced with doing the job all by themselves. I bet if she seeks out some support and learns some time management skills, she will be okay. She was hired, so she must have talent. Lousy teachers just don't find jobs anymore. Somebody saw something in her...it would be a shame throw it all away before she gives it a chance.

37. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I live not far from Scottsdale and know many teachers in that district. The students have only been back since August 7 so that is only a week and a half of teaching. Way too early to call it quits.

If you are in a charter school in Scottsdale, then possibly the students have been back 3 weeks. The charter schools in Arizona are such a mixed bag. Some are excellent, some are not good places to work in for any teacher. If you are at one of those schools, it might be best to tough it out so you can transfer to a school more of your liking.

38. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

Telling it like it is without being too harsh, yet another reason you rock. :agreed:

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

Thanks. :blush: I have sons who are relatively new in their careers. I'd say the same thing to them.

40. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2013

The OP doesn't seem to want to work in general. I think the kids would be better off with a teacher who's heart is actually in it, at least a tiny little bit. It doesn't seem like you have any passion for teaching whatsoever.

41. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

It is a charter and starting week 3. I am amazed at how easily some of you " judge" without walking in another's shoes. I was exploring options and looking for insight. Not judgement thanks. Just because you enter a career and think it is perhaps not for you does not make one "lazy" and "uncaring".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.