Want to resign after 3rd week school

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teddydog, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Does anyone know a teacher who resigned from an AZ school during the start of the school year. What happened to them? I do not care if my license gets dinged; just want out of a bad situation. Not sure if I should just go in and resign immediately or if I should give 30 days and request release from the Board? If they say no, then what?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

I think 3 weeks in is a bit early to pull out.:2cents:

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

What is the reason you are wanting to resign after only 3 weeks? Many times your license does not just get dinged.. it can be revoked and you can no longer teach. Not everyone does that, but they can. That is something to think about if you want to teach in AZ again.

I don't know anyone that left that early, but we had a teacher leave last year in February. She went to district, and they told our principal to just release her right away without making her stay any additional days. I know of another teacher in our district who is leaving due to her husband getting a new job and moving out of state.

I would read through your contract, and see what it says is the penalty for leaving early. In some districts, you need to pay a fee to break your contract.

5. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I am in my third week in AZ as well. It is challenging where I am, but don't give up. Seek out a master teacher. I am in a TAP school... also Title 1. If you want to talk privately pm me. Don't give up. It's hard in the beginning.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

It depends on your contract. If it requires a certain notice, you could lose your license.
    Where I teach (charter), I can quit without notice.

7. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

First teaching job at an elementary school in Scottsdale. I am not enjoying it. Know in my heart it is not what I want to do. So seems silly to stay a year hating it; not fair to kids or me. I know I should have thought about this before, but never taught and so really did not know. All the contract says is that you can not resign without Board approval and they do not have to allow you to resign. It does not state anything about monetary payment; but they could suspend or revoke. Does say something about 30 days.

8. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

sorry teddy........... I wish I could trade districts with you though......... My advice is to try and make the best out of it. You made a commitment. Leaving wouldn't be fair either........... but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately, college doesn't prepare us well enough about real life in a classroom. It's not for everyone ............. I'm having a challenging time this year too. I feel your pain

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I teach in AZ. It depends on the P and a little on the school board. Explain your situation to the P. If he/she lets you out, he/she will ask you to write a letter of resignation and it will be submitted to the school board. If you have the P's support, it will likely be approved and you'll be fine. If you don't have the P's support, you have a tough battle and could lose your teaching license. What is the probability of that? It is really hard to say and depends on how much the P wants to push the situation.

Personally, I agree that 3 weeks is too early to quit unless you committed some serious crime. If it is the students, you can get help and still turn the year around to make it a lot easier for you.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

Are you intending to leave the field entirely, or are you wanting to look for a different position at another school?

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

The first year is tough for most people.

Teaching is hard work. It can be frustrating. It can be exhausting. It is always challenging.

Many, many, many people want to quit at times. Something like 30% of teachers quit in the first 5 years.

I agree that 3 weeks is not enough time to judge if you are a good fit for this profession. Three years may not be enough time, to tell you the truth.

We often get new teachers on the forum who panic when things aren't going perfectly. Only you know if this is true and if you are willing to work through it. Ask for help. Get a mentor. Ask us for advise. Evaluate what you are doing and change 1 thing at a time. Don't let the kids see you sweat, believe you are in charge and do it! Don't let your fear make a decision for you. If you decide to quit, do it as gracefully as possible with the least impact on the kids that you can manage.

Good luck!

12. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

No crime, not students. Just really not liking teaching and absolutely hating working all the hours for nothing. My other friends are out enjoying weekend and I am stuck at school during during and working all night and weekend. Not what I want. My parents say to just quit and move on as it is more than what I bargained for. Anyone else familiar with Scottsdale's teacher agreement?

13. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Planning on leaving permanently! Just know in my heart it is not my thing and I am young and can do other things too.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

You're doing something wrong. You need to cut things off and go home at a reasonable time, where you need to decompress and not do school stuff for the evening.

15. teddydog

teddydog Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Resign forever! No looking back.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

If you're not going to continue in the field, then it shouldn't really matter when/how you quit. You won't be using your license, so anything they do to your license (suspend, revoke) doesn't really matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.