Want to Relocate to South carolina

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by englishteach2, Jul 27, 2013.

1. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

I want to relocate from another state to South Carolina. I have read just about everything on the internet. If you have any suggestions as to the best districts or the best way to find a position as an out of state teacher I would appreciate it. Thank you.

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

Most of the better districts are in the western part of the state. The eastern side does have the beach, but for the most part has lower SES families. (There are of course exceptions) I would suggest looking at the school report card and there is a section on there where it shows how satisfied staff, students, and parents are with the school. That is a good thing to pay attention to.

I came from out of state and went to the teacher job expo that they have at the end of May or beginning of June every year. This helped a lot with getting me the right contacts to find my job in the state. I also would suggest filling out the statewide application or the CERRA website. Last year when I was applying I know many districts seemed to be going to their own applications but many still checked the CERRA website. They also have a job bank on that website, although I don't know how great that is because I applied to individual districts rather than using the job bank.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions and I will do what I can to answer.

4. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Thank you very much.
    Sent you PM

5. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I taught in South Carolina 3 years ago. I applied to almost every district in the state. The Columbia and Greenville areas are both good areas with good school districts, although those are harder to get into. You definitely want to fill out an application with CERRA. I had 1 or 2 interviews from districts that found me on CERRA, but for most districts, they would ask you have an application on file with CERRA but to also submit an application packet to their HR as well. As far as the teacher expo, I know of people who got jobs there in the past, but the impression that I got, that it hasn't been as smooth running as the past. I know one year very recently, it got cancelled, and another year, it was the type of thing that so many people showed up that you couldn't really network or interview because there were HUGE lines at each table. If you have more specific questions, you can PM me as well.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

Just to add about the teacher expo, I am pretty sure it is just for high needs certifications now or has been the last few years. I do feel bad to hear it hasn't been as good recently. I went 5 years ago now when the need for teachers was much higher.

7. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

Thank you

I really appreciate your information.

Am working on the premise that that I should take Praxis first, send in the paperwork to SC for my credential. Apply now. My goal is to be in SC next school year. I also have to sell my house.

I figure that it won't hurt to start things moving now. I have two weeks before school starts to at least start prepping for Praxis

Eating the elephant one bite at a time.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Definitely go ahead and get your SC license right away. Having that in hand will be a great asset.