Want to pull my hair out!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkFish, Oct 22, 2009.

1. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

I teach at a very large elementay school. I am the youngest person in my grade level of 6 teachers (everyone else is nearing retirement). I love to make games and fun activities for my students. I spend most sunday afternoons making new things for my student to do. I don't mind spending the extra time because I know that it will make my week easier and my kids will have fun learning. I also buy lots of resource books with fun worksheets. My test scores are some of the top in my grade level and I've only been teaching for a year and a half. The problem comes with the other teachers. They are always complaining that I am not sharing my ideas with them or not making them copies of my fun worksheets. Its really starting to get to me. I do share my game ideas with them but I won't make them class sets of games that is their job. I don't always share my worksheets either but I don't do it to be mean I just see something and make a copy, plus I've spent close to $100 on books this year alone and they don't help buy the books. Its so frustrating because every time I do something I feel like I either have to hide it or get chewed out by someone. I tell them my ideas but they have to do the work. How do I deal with this situation??? Last year I didn't have a problem but I also wasn't doing as many fun activities.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2009

WHAT?
    They better get a grip of themselves!
    You need to just do your thing and IF they want to do it, then they need to put in the extra work, just like you do.
    Keep up the GREAT job,
    Rebel1

4. Oct 22, 2009

Well do they share ideas with you? If they do then it is only fair that you share your ideas with them. However, if they aren't sharing ideas or making stuff for you then I'd stay ignore them!

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

So, you're not going to love my reply but here goes. I could have written your post 20 years ago when I started teaching elementary school. I invested time and money into my teaching and I knew I was doing what was best for my students. I spent very little time interacting with the old goats I was teaching with and did not learn much from their experiences. Consequently, I learned what I learned on my own.
    Now I'm back to teaching (in a middle school this time) and I will learn everything I can from everyone around me. Middle school teachers share everything. If we find something great, everyone knows about it. If a new teacher starts who doesn't have money or resources, we give them what we have.
    I also have had children now and I find that it gives me insights I didn't have as a young teacher.
    Good luck to you. I hope that you can soon see yourself as part of a team and not as the star quarterback.

6. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

You might not like what I have to say, but I am not saying it to be rude or anything :).

But...
    Why wouldn't you want to share your worksheets? I know you have spent money on them but that's what teachers do, they share. I think it would be nice if you made 5 extra copies and just stuck it in their box, you have shared and if they don't like it...they can throw it away. It takes an extra 2 seconds.

As far as the games, share the concept and tell them to make their own.

I think when your a teacher, you must work as a team. That's what we work on each day with our students so we should be able to do that too.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 23, 2009

I think you have some good advice here. You can describe the games and they can make their own if they want. You can leave one worksheet and they can decide if they want to copy for their class. They should definitely be the ones doing the work though.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

:yeahthat:

I also don't mean to be rude or hurtful, but I'm a first-year teacher with not-so-much money. I definitely do as much as I can to contribute, but I don't have the books and other resources the other teachers have. Those teachers share everything with us. As I continue to build my resources, I will absolutely share them with any of the other teachers.

Just my :2cents: :)

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

When I first started teaching at a new school, it was my second year of teaching.In the beginning of the year, I shared as much as I could. I would make some extra copies of worksheets, if I thought they would like it. I soon learned that they weren't really the sharing bunch. By October, I soon learned that I will only share if they ask for it. So, seeing as how they are interested, I would go ahead and make a copy of some of your worksheets. But, what about copyright laws? Is it okay for this teacher who bought the books to make copies for other teachers who did not buy the books??? This actually came up at a meeting and we were told to not share copies of books we bought. I just wanted to throw that out there.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

You'll be an old goat way before you're ready to be one.

Everyone shares on my campus.

The old goats make sure the young teachers arent' eaten alive by admin, parents, and kids.

I've always had the philosophy that if it's good for the kids in my class it might help someone else's kid. I spend a lot of money on my class and share everything. We're all at different stations in life. One teacher has two kids with a lot of problems, another is single and paying back school loans, another doesn't have a single spare minute outside of school, she's running three kids here there and every where. My kids are grown and gone, I do my best to help everyone as much as I can.

Your school is a community, your colleagues should become a second family.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 23, 2009

I agree:

-do what you believe will make your class fun and interesting for the kids and help them learn
    -make a copy of fun worksheets to stick in boxes of other teachers, maybe with a note: Let me know if this is something you can use, or if you'd rather not have me make you copies.
    -the games you develop and create, tell them they are welcome anytime to come in and get ideas from you for games, but you don't have the time to create the games for all of them.
    - not sure about copyright - usually teachers at the same school share a worksheet here and there. I think it is expected, esp. if you are a team, to share books,etc.

One rule of thumb in teaching, if you make it your practice to be giving to others when you have the chance to, it will all come back to you later! If it is as simple as making a few extra copies of something, go for it!

12. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

Ok the problem is not that I am not a team player. I share my ideas they know they can come look at my stuff, but I'm not going to make it for them which is what they want me to do. I also share worksheets, just not all of them I don't do it to be mean. The problem is they've been teaching stuff forever so they just do their own thing. So I plan my stuff and find worksheets and games and stuff on my own. During planning meetings I'll show them my games and they will look at them and say where's my copy? Which I make by hand on large construction paper so to make them all a copy would take me lots of extra time but I always tell them they can take it home over the weekend but to that they say its too much work. And about the worksheets at the beginning of the year I shared almost everything but they don't share their stuff with me and never have. So why would I bend over backwards when they don't do the same for me. I'm tired of being used with no one is sharing with me. So please do not accuse me of not being a team player.

13. Oct 23, 2009

Well if they are not sharing with you, then I'd say forget them! You can't just let people walk all over you because they don't want to do their job!

14. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

If you come on here and post something please realize that sometimes you might not get the response that you might like but what we think. We understand that you are working hard and things might not be fair at all times but still. Good luck to you!

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 23, 2009

I do think you want to be a team player, but something is not working right for that to happen. I just meant that if it only takes making a few extra copies and putting them in their boxes, that is an easy way to "fill the account," in other words, make them feel good about you and later you might need to draw on that account.

As for the games, it is unreasonable for you to spend time making games for other teachers, when you have a limited amount of time to make the games for your own class. they know they have a resource down the hall if they need game ideas so they can approach you for the game ideas and make them themselves. Believe me, I have made games and it takes a lot of time. They should get the games if they are willing to put in the time.

I think everyone is just saying that by offering the worksheets, you are being generous. By offering the ideas for the games, you are being generous. By them being responsible for actually making the games, you are being an adult - "You want the games, here they are, come make them!"

Otherwise, just do your thing with your kids. Sometimes you have to just close the door and do your job, and let the chips fall where they may. But if you present a generous spirit, are willing to help out in a pinch, you will be blessed.

I now have a team teacher who will take my kids for an activity when she sees I need extra time for a project; I take her kids for an activity when I see she needs to recoup. We are working together well, both trying to be generous, and both trying to be sensitive to the other's needs and also to not take advantage. It is a wonderful way to teach - knowing someone is watching your back and you can call on a colleague at a moment's notice if you are in a jam.

So give all you can, but I would draw the line at producing time consuming materials that they could just as easily make themselves. Hang in there, and don't forget to learn from the old goats. The blessing is, you learn from the old goats, and you stimulate the old goats to rev things up and try new stuff. It is a good combo!

16. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 24, 2009

Do not make the games and stay strong you have offered and they know where to find them if they want to make them.

As for everyone's suggestion to just make a copy and stick it in their mail box. If they don't use them, think about how much paper you would waste. I know in my school district we are in a MAJOR budget crisis.

Have you asked for things that they do? Sometimes they do not want to push their stuff on you.

17. ShayBaby2006

ShayBaby2006 New Member

Oct 26, 2009

I think that those teachers should do the work themselves. Yes it is nice for you to share every once in a while, but if they have been there for a long time they know how the system works. But on the other hand they are probably getting tired and run down in their years close to retirement, if this is so then they should probably just leave. I know from experience that teachers who have lost their passion just don't belong. Kids like to enjoy themselves, they want to go home and tell their parents that they can't wait for the next day. And if you are willing to put all your time and effort into their lives then you shouldn't have to share.