Want to move to Florida

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by codename:m.o.m., Feb 26, 2006.

1. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Apr 17, 2006

Good article...should be interesting to see what happens with the real estate market down here.

Last year at this time all you needed to do was put a for sale sign in your yard and fifteen minutes later you would have several offers for more than asking price...

However, a lot has changed. In our neighborhood I don't think a single house has sold since last August...there are many, many houses with for sale signs, and there are new communites popping up everywhere!

It's all about supply and demand. My personal opinion is that if people really want/need to sell the prices are going to come down.

--Adam

2. dhom

dhom Rookie

Apr 17, 2006

Yes. I believe this will create an opportunity for people who have money within a couple of years. Those who need the money will sell, and those who have the money will buy.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2006

Florida's all I've ever known- I teach one hour north of Tampa in a city named Brooksville. Has anyone here been by Brooksville? It's a rural area and very friendly. Our school district is fine.

Hurricanes have come through the area, but not strong enough to cause substantial damage. South Florida and the Panhandle have received more damage.

I interned for one of the best school districts in Florida, St. Johns County, which is St. Augustine and surrounding vicinity. It is an extremely dedicated and professional school district. It is so very expensive to live there, though!

4. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Pinellas County here, specifically the Clearwater area. I was born and raised here in this county and wouldn't have it any other way.
    Yes, it's expensive. I just transferred to a new school and took the place of a teacher who moved to Atlanta to work because she couldn't afford to stay here.
    However, I bought my own home in my 20's on a teachers' salary, so it can be done.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2006

I was born and raised in my same county, too. :)

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 22, 2006

I went to USF in Tampa and interned at a Plant City School (hillsborough county)
    I am a native to DADE county and worked/lived there until 11 years ago when I moved to BROWARD!

I go every 6-8 weeks to Orlando and am a frequent visitor at my
    'in love's' home in Dunedin which is near clearwater/palm harbor...

When I was a kid, I lived in MiamiBeach (my parents were in the same home there for 30 years!) I love driving off the interstate and driving over the bridges to get to the 'island'. I now live one mile from the Everglades which is as West as you can go! The taxes here are astronomical and the city I live in (Weston) is quite expensive but manageable on two salaries... Other then Century Village in Pembroke Pines, I dont see much of the 'oldest population'. Although, when I was a kid that is what Miami Beach used to be. Seems to be the oldest population dont even live in Ft. Lauderdale anymore, its like BOCA is the farthest south people retire to!

7. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

i'm in clearwater (tampa bay area) and whew...real estate is insane.

2/2 condos...as in appartment buildings made condos....that need to be renovated....are $130k+.

as for mobile homes....hurricanes are reason #1 not to consider them....but the land is being bought out left and right (at least here), forcing people out of mobile homes so more condos can be built.

8. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 24, 2006

I live in Pasco County (cities are - Holiday, New Port Richey, Hudson, Zephyrhills and Land O Lakes) and I love it here. The weather is great most of the year and I get a 5 min drive from the beach. Housing is plenty affordable in my area (av house going for like $150-$175) and there are still areas in pasco that are cheaper than where I live.

I like Bradenton as well - but I guess it is a little tooooo far south for me. I hear crime rate is pretty low inthe Sarasota areas - but I know a lot of people from this area seem to think that Sarasota is pricey compared to Pasco - but I really don't know for sure.

The Ft. Meyers area is pretty nice as well. I hear it is still fairly affordable from what I am told.

Ixnay the mobile home idea. Housing is plety affordable without having to be in the hurricaine bulls-eye. :)

~J

9. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

I live in Orlando. The starting teacher pay here just moved up to $35,598. Teachers get a $1750 sign on bonus if they work in a title 1school (which I do). There is lots to do in Orlando and the surrounding cities. I consider it a great place to raise kids, especially with Disney, Universal Studios, and Islands of Adventure so close. Of course, one thing that is a burden here is the traffic. In some parts it's pretty bad. But overall I think Orlando is a nice city to live.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2006

Trailer parks attract hurricanes, for sure.

11. dhom

dhom Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

One good indicator of the cost of property is the gross rent multiplier (GRM). Since rents vary from region to region, the rent vs. buy analysis should compare actual rents with actual property values in the same area.

Head over to http://www.realtor.com and do a search for multifamily homes. Some of them will have rents listed. (Most single-family homes won't have rents listed, which is why we're looking at multi-family.)

GRM = Cost of the property / annual scheduled rents

For example, a duplex that rents out one side for $400/month and the other side for $600/month has a monthly scheduled rent of $1000/month. The annual scheduled rent is therefore $12k/year.

If the house costs $110,000, then

GRM = $110k / $12k = 9.2

The lower the GRM is, the lower the cost of that duplex is compared to the rent you'd have to pay if you didn't buy the duplex. "Hot" areas that are sellers' markets will have high GRMs. Areas with low GRMs have affordable property.

If you find an affordable area, do some more research about it. You might not want to drive 40 miles to work or live in the inner city.

It'd also be a good idea to do a Google search for the county assessor's office to get property tax information, which can vary from city to city and even within different areas of the same city. Do what you can to find out about insurance rates too, which I've heard can be quite high in Florida.

12. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

I also teach in Orlando, and am excited about the pay raise. I am not sure if the original poster has made any decisions, but I think Winter Haven is a nice area. It's only 40 minutes from Orlando. I am not sure about Polk County as a whole for schools, but there are very nice schools around my parents house (Chain of Lakes Elementary is a new one that looks great). I think Winter Haven is far enough to where you don't have any traffic, but there is a lot to do, and Orlando is an easy drive away. They also have a smaller theme park, Cypress Gardens. Something to look into!

Good luck with your decision!

13. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

I just moved from Polk County and absolutely loved teaching there. We only moved because of my husband's job. I taught three years at Pinewood in Eagle Lake and everyone at the school was great. I worked with an awesome team and everyone was just one big family.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 26, 2006

I could never go back to Florida--- I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale and my parents wouldn't let me go to public school cause they said I would get my @$$ kicked. Of course I work for Chicago Public Schools and if and when I have kids I'm not sure I'd send them there-- but well I couldn't go back to Florida. Hate the HEAT-- the 3:00 pm everyday rain shower--- the lack of seasons--- the lack of public transportation--- the general "I'm better than you attitude of Fort Lauderdale." Just not for me--- I love CHICAGO-- It's "My Kind Of Town."

15. DaliTeaches05

DaliTeaches05 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

This post was started months ago, but I thought I should say something about Miami-Dade County. DO NOT MOVE HERE IF YOU HAVE BUDGET ISSUES! I teach in Homestead, Florida, about as far south as you can go before hitting the Keys, and it is crazy expensive here. There are only a few counties who pay more, but with a family, it would be hard to rely heavily on a teacher salary here. I've heard great things about Central Florida, and the sooner you can get in there, the better off you'll be. As soon as South Florida is full, they'll all move there.

As far as hurricanes, it comes with the territory, I think, to know how to handle them. I keep certain things packed all year just to avoid any rush, in the event of a storm headed our way. The schools have a pretty effective plan in dealing with them, so that makes it very easy to deal with it.

16. codename:m.o.m.

codename:m.o.m. Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I find all this feedback very interesting. Especially the differing opinions. Keep it coming because it helps me and I'm sure it is helpful to others, too! Right now I'm kind of stuck because my husband doesn't really want to move nor do my kids! I guess I'll just have to continue to vacation there whenever I can and exercise my butt off in Ohio winters to combat the "winter blues.":)

17. gericke

gericke New Member

Oct 16, 2006

Hi I am also in Ohio and have a very similar situation. Out school levy may not a pass and this would possible cause my husband to loose his job. I miss Florida and would consider moving to the Brandenton area or Clearwater area. What have you found out regarding teaching jobs and nice areas to live?

18. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Oct 16, 2006

Hi gericke,

well...I have been living in Bradenton for 16 months now (moved from NY) and I absolutely love it! We sold a 3 bedroom/2 bath SHACK in NY and bought a beautiful 4 bedroom/3bath 2 car garage with a pool on a golf course for $150,000 less.

The weather is beautiful everyday and there are endless activities for my son all year round.

As for jobs...that will depend much on your subject area. As always social studies positions are the most difficult to find, but science and math are much easier. You can monitor the county websites for job postings.

As for places to live...I live near Lakewood Ranch in East Bradenton...I am actually closer to the town of Sarasota than the town of Bradenton. The schools are great...lots of families...very clean and safe. The prices went up a lot, but peaked in spring/summer of 2005. Prices are now starting to drop...yes drop! People who bought at the peak with the intent to flip are panicking. The market is flooded with houses for sale. It is a great time to be a buyer.

Feel free to contact my wife if you want some more info on homes in Lakewood Ranch/Bradenton: http://www.LakewoodRanchDreamHomes.com

Take Care,
    Adam

19. dhom

dhom Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

Rent or buy?

Yes, a down market can be a good time to buy. Make sure you're buying at the right price, though. I suggest checking two things:

(1) Buy at least 20% below market. If other comparable houses recently sold for $200,000, then pay no more than $160,000 (including repairs). That way, if you need to sell the house quickly after repairing it, you can price it up to $40,000 less than the next guy and still not lose any money.

(2) Run a calculation comparing market rents with your potential mortage payment + property taxes + insurance + maintenance expenses. If the rent comes out higher, then you're saving a lot of money by buying instead of renting.

What if rents are cheaper than the combined expenses of buying a house? You can try to find a rent-to-own deal, also called a lease option. By paying rent, your monthly expenses will be lower than if you'd bought the house, but you'll still have your option to buy at a later date.

With a lease option, if the house goes down in value, you haven't lost much, as you would have had to pay rent anyway. Rent-to-own deals give you the right to buy but not the obligation to buy. If the house goes up in value, you can sell your option to buy to someone else for a big profit or just buy the house yourself at the lower price you agreed upon when you first signed the lease option.

This strategy would be less expensive than buying and doesn't involve large down payments and credit checks.

20. phialove

phialove New Member

Nov 8, 2006

Are you still lookibg to move to Florida

Code mom are you still looking to move to Florida?

21. dhom

dhom Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

Oklahoma City metro

If anyone's interested in moving to the Oklahoma City metro, please let me know. I'm part of an investor group here where I can get access to some pretty good deals. To get an idea of what you'd have to pay for a house, take a look at Realtor.com:

http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListings.asp?locallnk=yes&frm=bymap&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&mnprice=0&mxprice=99999999&js=off&pgnum=1&lnksrc=&fid=so&stype=&mnsqft=&mls=xmls&areaid=1237&poe=realtor&ct=Oklahoma+City&st=OK&sbint=&vtsort=&sorttype=&typ=1&typ=2&typ=4&x=74&y=10

Since you'll be buying 20% below market, subtract 20 to 30 percent from the prices at Realtor.com to get an idea of the price if you got yourself a good deal.

To contact me, click on my screen name, "dhom", above. A menu will pop up. Choose "Send a private message to dhom" from the menu.

22. Toodie

Toodie New Member

Nov 10, 2006

Living & teaching in FL

I have lived in Florida and taught in several counties for 8 years. My first experience was in Pinellas county, which is quite crowded. Depending where you lived, the schools were good. I now live in Clay County, which is near Jacksonville. We love the area and, for the most part, the schools are great. St. Johns county is also near Jacksonville. The schools are also great BUT it is getting more expensive to live there. Both counties are experiencing a lot of growth and are building housing developments as soon as the ink on the plans are dry! The counties are also building new schools to accommodate the growth. One thing about teaching in Florida is that they use portables! They build the new schools but growth continues and they cannot accommodate the amount of children. In my eight years I've only had a classroom one year; the rest were in a portable. But you just get used to it!

Hope this helps!

23. dhom

dhom Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

Pinellas county was among the top 20% of US counties for population growth from 1930-1990. You're right - it appears to be too crowded now; it was in the bottom 30% from 1990-2005.

Clay county has been in the top 10% ever since 1930. If this continues, the area will become more crowded and expensive (as you indicate), and population growth will slow down.

St. John's county's population growth spike began only around 1970, and it's been in the top 10% ever since. Flagler county, just south of St. John's, has a similar percentage population growth rate as St. John's and has had a similar growth spike, but is less crowded.

If I had to place bets on Florida counties without having lived there, I'd invest in Flagler county.

24. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Nov 10, 2006

82 degrees and sunny...need I say anything more :)

Can't believe I have to go back to NY for Thanksgiving...next year it will definitely be down here!

I LOVE Florida!

Prices in Manatee county are actually going down. That's right..not leveling off, but going down! Not sure if that makes it a good investment or bad, but I have never bought a house as an investment...I have only bought based on where I want to live and raise my family...so far so good.

Think I'll go for a bike ride before my son's baseball game :D

25. dhom

dhom Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

Going down -> Strong buyer's market

This makes it possible to buy houses for far less than what they appraise for. Don't buy a house for anything more than 80% of its market value. Since houses often sell for less than the appraised valued anyway, a purchase price of 25% or more below appraisal might be a good rule.

How do you find properties at that price? Try going to the bank for foreclosed properties or calling For Sale By Owner ads in the paper and making lowball offers. You can also bring your criteria to Realtors to see if they have anything that's been sitting on the market for a while. Sometimes those properties will sell for cheaper because the Realtor and owner would otherwise lose their opportunity to make money.

California's warm and sunny too, but way overpriced. I should know, since I used to live there. In a down market, buy carefully. It would be great to enjoy the weather without having to pay too much for it.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 11, 2006

Foreclosures are definitely on the rise. I would wait a bit to buy, though, because the market has more correcting to do. The prices were ridiculously inflated for the last couple of years.

27. dhom

dhom Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

65 degrees and sunny today here in Norman, OK. This is one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived.