Want to move grades

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lovetoteach15, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016

It is well-known at my school that one of the teachers in my grade level will need to move next year due to numbers. There is one less class in the group coming up then we have this year. This means the grade level above us will need a new teacher and I would really like the chance to loop with my class and teach them again. Although I really like my current teammates, I have had a very nice, easy year with a wonderful group of students and have really bonded with the class.

Has anyone ever approached the principal about moving? If so, how did you do it and how did it go? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 12, 2016

Yes, I moved grades twice in 5 years. I asked my principal if we could arrange a time to meet and then I simply told him that I wanted a change and that I would be willing to move to X grade since he needed another teacher on that team. (we were adding a new class). He was happy that I had approached him since he didn't want to force anyone to move if they didn't want a change.

The next principal handed out a sheet every spring and we could indicate our preferred teaching assignment for the fall: stay the same or change grade and then indicate which grade.

In both cases the principals wanted to know because they didn't want to force changes. Your principal will probably be relieved to know someone wants to move.

One year I did get to loop and it was awesome! Go for it - I've learned that we only get the things we ask for and if we don't make our preferences known, we don't get what we want.

WonderW05 likes this.
  4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 9, 2016

Like MissScrimmage said, your principal will probably be relieved to have a volunteer for the change.