Want to cry?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wannateachtx, Jul 25, 2008.

1. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Does anyone else just want to cry when you pass by the school supply isles? I was so sure when I graduated in December that when they put out school supplies...I would be stocking up to prepare for my new job. Needless to say, I have no job and need no school supplies...it's so depressing...guess I just need to vent.:(

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

:( I know how you feel. I have been there in the past. Hang in there and you NEVER know!!!!!!!

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I can't help but buy for the classroom I don't have. . .no interviews for now still waiting on the results of the last three!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Good luck on the interviews this is the time they usually start making the phone calls. Hang in there and keep trying.

6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 25, 2008

Don't give up yet! Last year, at this time I was in the same position as you! I had graduated in December, and was sure that I'd have a contracted job by the start of the new school year. However-- I did not. I was depressed and angry, and had accepted that I would not be finding a job for September.

However, 1 week and a half before the first day of school, I was interviewed and hired to be a 1st grade teacher in a public school! I couldn't believe it. Looking back, it was def one of the most stressful times in my life-- getting ready to teach 1st grade in less than 2 weeks. However, I don't remember a time that I felt happier than I did when the superintendent offered me that job.

Please don't give up--- I know it's hard (all too well). Just like trayums said-- you never know!!!

Good luck!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

I totally understand how you feel. I didn't buy any supplies last year and then when I did get hired two weeks into the school year I had no supplies. So I'm being positive this year and stocking up with the deep discounts.

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

:hugs: It will get better -- there's still a month to go and they ARE still hiring.

Do as MATgrad is doing and get out there and stock up on the basics. Take advantage of the sales. When the job offers comes in, you will be that far ahead of the game!

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

Haha, I don't have a job either, but I'm still stocking up! For my first job, I had to pay regular price on EVERYTHING. Like hundreds of dollars. Go ahead, take advantage and store them in a room you don't go in that often. It's totally worth it!

10. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I have bought a few, but it's not near as exciting. I am trying to stay positive, but it's hard.

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I LOVE school supplies so it is extremely difficult to walk past those aisles. Here the dollar stores have tons of teacher stuff so I already have two totes full of stuff but nowhere to use it :(

12. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I want to cry I just got rudest thank you for interviewing wish you the best of luck but we went with someone else call!!!!

At least they called.

Now I want to cry. . .no calls and the rejections are rolling in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

The other day I got the most nicely worded rejection letter, but you know what? It was still a rejection letter. Rude or not they still make us want to cry!

I'm lucky that I still have a job for the fall, but it's soooo far away. Just the thought of driving 85 miles to school then 85 miles back home makes me want to cry. I started my job search in January. I was sure I'd have a job closer to home before the end of the school year. Nope. I was sure I'd have a job by mid-summer. Nope. If I don't have a job within the next 3 weeks, I'm stuck with my other job.

14. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I was thinking applying riverside and out that way but I can not do an 85 mile drive back and fourth.

I got two rejection letters the other day!

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

I'm applying in any district within Riverside, southern San Bernardino, and northern San Diego. Two interviews the whole summer. Though, I'm not sped. That you don't have a job is baffling.

16. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

There are alot of mild to moderate sped people looking for jobs -- other class mates have had a hard time but eventually come up with the job!

I'm adding mod - severe for sped to see if that would help

17. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I feel the same way! I am glad I am not the only one; I can't even look at the sales ads-too depressing!! I too have a bin full of stuff in the basement and another full of books that I can't even look at because it makes me sick! Hopefully something will come along for us at the last minute....

18. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I went with a friend to the Mardel's teacher sale. I went to help my friend buy stuff for her class. It was horrible to hear teachers talking to each other about what they are planning for their classrooms.
    At first, I thought that I would buy some generic stuff that I could use in any class. I just couldn't do it. I finally bought some stuff for my own children to use in school. I cried all the way home.

19. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

Boy do I feel your pain. I have been home with my boys for the past 4yrs. and have missed teaching everyday. It has actually come down to me avoiding walmart and such stores during the school supply season. I actually do get to the car and cry. It hurts even worse this year, now that I am seriously trying to get a job. I want to be planning for a classroom. It's like the worst kind of torture I think.