Wandering Student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SassyTeach, Nov 28, 2012.

1. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Nov 28, 2012

This is my 8th year to teach. In that time, I've had a lot of challenging students. I usually enjoy finding ways to help them succeed. With that said, I have a student this year that has me stumped.

This little guy is very bright and affectionate. He wants me to be happy with him, but he has NO IMPULSE CONTROL. He is out of his seat and wandering around the room at least 20 times a day (not exaggerating). I've tried everything in my bag of tricks...but I'm just at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:dizzy:

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Nov 28, 2012

Is there room for him to have a second desk? This has worked well for me with wanderers. When they have a place to wander to, they stop wandering the room. It works best if the main seat is in the back row, and the second desk is in the back of the room. Then he can switch seats without bothering people or attracting attention.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 28, 2012

Meds?

No, seriously, that's what helped me. :)

In the lack of that, though, can he stand at his desk at all? That might help with the wiggles.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2012

I have a wanderer too. It's not a student who is hyper active, just inactive. I use lots of prompts and put up pictures of where my students are to be; this has helped a lot. I really just hold up or point to the picture and the student comes back.