Walmart

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 7, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2013

Walmart is putting out school supplies here - no fantastic deals so far (unless you count 50 cent composition books), but they are just now beginning to put the stuff out.

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 7, 2013

Where is "here"? I ask because I like the 50-cent composition books.

I also look for the $0.05 folders (but usually settle for a dime each, so I can get the colors I need/want). :)

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2013

I was all excited because they had the school supply aisles set up and then a little disappointed that the shelves did not have much inventory on them yet. I did need those comp books, so I did get those. And a set of plastic folders for the kids' daily folders-I found them way too late last year and had to pay a much higher price for quite a hodgepodge of colors. So I was happy! :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2013

I've been out of school for a week. I don't want to think about back-to-school supplies, no matter how good the deal.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 7, 2013

Don't they usually drop their comp books down to 25 cents at some point? I dont want to buy too soon... but I do need quite a few of them.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 7, 2013

All they had out in northern New Jersey was the cardboard holder filled with markers, pens, crayons, etc. that sits in the middle of the aisle. They have all the shelves next to it empty ready to be filled. They might even start stocking tonight, definitely by the end of the week.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 7, 2013

Not last year. I was looking every week

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2013

Here is Louisiana.

I'm planning to buy a bunch more composition books (still have a few left over from last year). They are on the kids supply list, but 1/2 won't bring them, so.... I'm planning on using them for Reading, Word Study, Math, Science, & Social Studies - maybe a separate one for Writing as well.

I want the plastic 3-prong pocket folders - I absolutely can't afford to pay 50-95 cents each, so I'm praying they go on sale for 15 cents each.

Looking for (liquid) glue, too - the kids will bring some sticks, but we won't be using them nearly as much as in 1st grade - they don't stick very well!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2013

I've been out only TWO weeks. My ShopRite had a display of school supplies out today. :(

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2013

I've never seen them below 50 cents, but it may be a regional thing.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2013

I posted this somewhere else, but my area had back to school displays going up two weeks after school got out.

I kind of feel like I do with the Christmas displays going up before Halloween... it's too early! Let people enjoy each holiday as it comes!

(I apparently "missed" summer decorations... my Michael's has their Fall stuff out already :()

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2013

My Target already has school stuff out for the last couple weeks...that's the earliest into the summer I've seen it.

Same here!

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 8, 2013

Well, I'm working in summer school now but I'm not getting anything new. We will use what we have left over from the rest of the year. The earliest I want to think about back to school stuff is maybe the day before Labor Day LOL

15. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 8, 2013

Have you guys seen that walmart.com has an online version of school supply lists now? You can create your classroom and parents can find it like a registry. Kind of neat! I only have a few content specific supplies aside from what their grade level teachers ask for or I might make one.

When I worked at Walmart typically how we did it was a seasonal section for summer items until post July 4th. Then everything went on markdown to start setting back to school. Not surprising considering we started putting swimsuits out in January!

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2013

That registry is cool. Too bad there's no Wal Mart in NYC. I wish Target had that.

17. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 8, 2013

I am hoping to stock up on the $0.02 glue sticks again this summer!

They had 2-packs for 50 cent out at my local Wal-Mart on Sunday, but I didn't get any.

18. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 8, 2013

You know, they really used to have great deals. I remember the 25 cent packs of pencils, 25 cent glue, 10 cent folders.....etc... My local WalMart doesn't have any good sales on school supplies any more. :help:

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2013

I was told today that they should start the sales soon.

20. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 8, 2013

They must start at different times. I was there today and they had all of that. The only thing they didn't have out yet was the 17 cent notebooks.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2013

Target has 17 cents notebooks but that's about all they have! I'm in central Ohio.

22. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

The Walmart around the corner is putting up their school supplies. I'm super excited even though I just got out of school 3 weeks ago. I love the 88 cent bins at Walmart. Last year I got enough 2 sided whiteboards for my entire class.