Walmart brand vs. Expo Dry Erase Markers?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by justwanttoteach, Jul 30, 2016.

1. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 30, 2016

Hi All
    I am in the process of updating and replenishing supplies I need for my classroom. I am wondering if any of you have experience with an off brand of dry erase markers that were:
    • Cheaper than Expo
    • Worked just as good...if not better
    • various colors
    Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

PS- They will be used in a Middle school class by both teacher and students

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2016

In my experience, the regular (not low-odor) Expo markers are the best. The other ones get used up waaaay too quickly or are too light to be easily seen on the board.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2016

I prefer to use the more expensive Expo's for my use (for the reasons stated by Caesar) and the cheaper ones for the students to use every day with their individual white boards. The kids go through tons of markers during the year so the cheaper ones are just fine for them.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2016

I'm also an EXPO fan.

6. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 30, 2016

My school provides us with the Office Depot brand and they dry out ridiculously quick. I'm going to assume that Walmart brand ones do the same.

I went on Amazon to buy my expo markers. I paid 12 dollars for 18 of them and they have all sorts of great colors. I got 3 boxes because I do let students use them and I run through boxes. You should check it out. Yesterday they had like 7 left on Amazon. It's a pretty good deal for 18 markers

justwanttoteach likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2016

Yeah if you're looking for longevity and quality, go with Expo. The other markers will just end up dying faster (if they even work at all) and you'll just have to replace them anyway. And of course the $ adds up to what would have been the cost of Expo markers. Save yourself the step and just buy it. There's just some stuff I won't skimp on. Like Mr. Sketch markers. I LOVE them for creating posters and writing on poster paper.

8. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jul 30, 2016

Last year, I bought both the Expo and Casemate (Walmart) brands. I used the Expo brand for myself and put the Casemate brand in the container for students to use. The Casemate brand lasted; we didn't use them every day, but they worked well. I even have some of the Casemates from last year to start this year off with; I had bought two boxes of them to use, but only ended up using one.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 30, 2016

I haven't found anything better than Expo. We use Office Depot markers for the kids because we have a PO with them and their brand is much cheaper. They write well. They do run out faster than Expos, but they're also $4 for a dozen and Expos are usually $12 for a dozen from Office Depot. In my experience, Expos don't last 3x longer.

I do buy Expos for myself, though.

10. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 31, 2016

I tried Crayola dry erase markers on an older white-board. I didn't erase it right away and it became permanent. I called Crayola, and they explained that the chemical structure of dry erase markers and whiteboards vary, and their markers, by chance, didn't match my whiteboard. Crayola was extraordinarily helpful in resolving the issue. They advised on how to clean it, if I recall correctly, I used Soft Scrub (or something similar) and cotton and it came right off. They also gave me a complimentary subscription to a teacher-idea newsletter. Meanwhile, I went back to Expo and never had any problems.

11. Ronald Kuik

Ronald Kuik Guest

Jul 31, 2016

Earlier this year I got my wife BIC Velleda (Medium Sized Tip) white board markers.
    She uses an old, worn down white board but she said these were markers that she experienced to be better and more durable for her than Expo.
    I was on vacation in the Netherlands at the time and got 24 markers for around 21 euros including tax. Which, at this time (31st of July 2016 at 12:46PM) is around $23.50 (US)
    The store I got it from was Staples.
    They are quite thin but they don't dry out nearly as fast as Expo does in the hot climate of the Bahamas and thus in our case last a whole lot longer.

12. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 31, 2016

I ended up buying 3 12packs of Expo markers for me to use
    and a 4 10pacs of skinny off brand for the kiddos...wee shall see how it goes
    School Supply shopping is dangerous! I went in with the intention of buy markers I walked out with:

Markers
    A calendar
    40 spiral notebooks (17cents a piece)
    paper
    2 boxes of pens
    paper clips
    Desk organizer
    2 Hand sanitizer
    Kleenex
    O-O

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 31, 2016

I like the quartet enduraglide markers that I found at Staples a few years ago. They quit carrying them around me and I tried the Bic Magic Marker which I like just as well. They seem to erase so much better than the Expo brand.

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 3, 2016

we can order dry erase markers through our district warehouse. I don't know the brand they get, but it is an off brand. Surprisingly, they have lasted much longer than Expo markers.

Sadly, I've been given many packs of Expo markers that were dry the first time I've used them. They've been stored in my classroom which is climate controlled all year long.

15. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Aug 31, 2016

I use alcohol based markers (roseart and marks a lot are two). I use marker boards for each student in the class.Expo and many others are toxic in large amounts/long exposure. And by the end of the day you get a large dose and this is bad for brain cells and the unborn. Also, you won't have students you have to watch with the alcohol based markers. Just make sure you keep the cap on any marker when you are not using it, it will last much longer.

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 1, 2016

My eyes are tired. At first I read 312 packs and 410 packs! I thought DANG!!! That's a lot of marker usage! haha

17. eightiesguy

eightiesguy Rookie

Sep 2, 2016

I ordered a box of 30 Bic "Great Erase" markers from Office Depot when we put in our supply order. We have only been in school for 8 days, but they seem to work well. They are bold colors, low odor, and erase well. I haven't notice any "ghosting" after I've erased. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think they were about the same price or slightly cheaper than expo.