WalMart boycott

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Margo, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 16, 2005

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 16, 2005

I hadn't heard of that before... it's interesting. I think it's up to an individual where they choose to shop and for what reasons, but I don't think it's the Teacher Union's place to tell their members where to shop...

4. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 16, 2005

I agree. For me it wouldn't be an option. Wal-mart is the only option for school type things. I would have to drive over an hour to get anything else.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2005

Maybe I don't understand the article but what is "wake up wal-mart" I don't understand the reason??? I love wal-mart

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005

Frontline might be of interest if you're unsure what the "issues" are....I agree it's up to the consumer and it is difficult when you are living on a budget, like most of us are, to shop elsewhere..

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2005

Well, the TYSON's chicken plant hires illegal aliens, pays them little to nothing, but that doesn't stop me from buy Tyson's chicken.

Around here Walmart is basically it. You can drive 25 miles at the least to go to Kmart or an hour to go to Target and pay more.

There is Dollar General, Fred's and Family Dollar stores, but you can't beat Walmart.

I get these e-newsletters from American Family something... they are always protesting something... If I boycotted everything that everyone wanted us to boycott, WHERE IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU SHOP AND WHAT WOULD YOU BUY???

Lori

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2005

My district stopped offering memberships to Sam's Club for that reason. But I still shop at Walmart. And Target too, even though there was that issue with the Salvation Army. I'm sorry that I'm cheap and all, but I personally love those stores and will continue to shop there. No one can stop me from going through those automatic doors...besides, I just bought 10 cent notebooks and 7 cent folders at Walmart today and they are not going back! lol. Sorry for the rant, I'm cranky tonight:-\

9. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

I agree that it's a tough issue because Walmart normally has the lowest prices and given what teachers make....

On the other hand, the whole point of the article is that NEA is trying to be supportive of the United Food and Commercial Workers union. Walmart is known for being very anti-union. The one time someone successfully organized in their stores, Walmart basically fired all the employees who had organized. For those of you who are in unions, is this really the sort of store you want to shop at?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2005

I am in a union, but that doesn't mean that I am a mind numbed robot who blindly follows everything my representatives tell me. They suggest who I should vote for- I find that a little irritating too. I'm intelligent enough and well-read enough to know what's good for me as a union member- I also am intelligent enough and well-read enough to know what's good for me as a consumer, taxpayer, voter, parent....

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2005

I bought those same items, leigh. And a patio set. I couldn't live without ample shopping opportunities. Wal Mart usually has lowest prices, but within my comfortable driving range I have several Wal Marts, supercenters, big box stores, Target & super Target, 3 malls, every cheapo place known to man, and numerous thrift stores. It really is too much. I think because there are so many retirees here ..... I don't know.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 17, 2005

I agree that Walmart is many times the best (or only) option. There's one that's literally about 3 minutes from my house and I shop there on a regular basis. I actually had an argument with a counselor/social worker at work about it the other day. Many companies hire "illegals", pay them poorly, outsource jobs, buy products from other countries, blah blah blah...If we didn't buy from any of these places it'd be really tough to find products to buy at all. There are also many places that are "anti-union" You should've seen the bologna my coworkers and I went through when trying to join the union at the agency where I work. We're part time throughout the school year and then full time on school vacations and got no benefits so we organized to join the union that our full time coworkers are a part of. The admins threw a fit and it was a fight all the way, but we got it! Does that mean that no parents should enroll their children in our programs? Of course not. I just think people need to make their own informed decisions about where to spend their hard-earned money.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2005

I believe our union tries to inform us of issues, but not "dictate" where we shop or whom we vote for. I like to support local and mom & pop stores, but these are getting harder to find.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2005

It's unfortunate that Wal Mart is such a hog and many say it is an awful place to work...but some people complain no matter what. For now I am stuck with Wal Mart because it is close and has it all.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2005

I hate walmart but its my only choice here...whenever I find something I like, they stop carrying it...

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2005

17. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2005

I actually worked at Wal-mart for many years while in high school and college. I can honestly say that they don't pay their employees that badly. I actually took a pay cut when I went to go work for my first daycare center (by more than $2 an hour). I didn't mind working for them, but I did work for two different ones, and I liked the one in Eau Claire Wisconsin way more than the one in Waukesha Wisconsin. The one down by us is so unorganized, the one in Eau Claire is nicer with nicer people. Maybe because it's a smaller town and Waukesha is a lot bigger? All in all, it wasn't any different than working for any other big retail chain.

18. Jan P.

Jan P. Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

Hmmm! I'm not the biggest fan of Walmart, but I do love their prices! It is the cheapest place for me to buy food in town. I don't have a problem with them giving money to vouchers for private school.

I won't boycott Walmart, but I won't go there every time my kid wants something either. LOL!

Jan P.

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

The closest Walmart to me is 25 minutes away. Walmart is now just entering the northern New Jersey market area. I can understand why so many shop there, but I also see what \Walmart is doing to the small town businesses. Many long standing community stores are closing because of Walmart. Family businesses are closing after 20 to 25 years in business. Yes, these small businesses cannot always compete with Walmart, but for a dollar or two more you get personal attention, a first name greeting, and many times if an item is out of stock they will order it for you. I am also member of a local union, state union and national union. I enjoy supporting my community. These businesses are the ones who support our school fund raisers, fire department, ambulance corp and recreational teams. For many, Walmart is the choice, but for some, it isn't.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2005

I too do not have a Walmart near me. The only time I shopped in a Walmart was when I went to college in RI. In the past four years I have shopped at other stores but like someone else said it is hard to find family run stores these days.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2005

Our own public schools have caused local daycares/Preschools to close down. They decided to put Preschool in the schools. Before that the local daycares/Preschools were a booming mom and pop business. One of them closed it's doors after 20 years. Two others struggled to stay open. Pretty bad when our own education system has no respect for local businesses.

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2005

I am reminded of the song by Alan Jackson called "Little Man" great words that kinda reflect how I feel about all of these superstores.

23. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

Leighbball, you are hilarious. Don't feel bad, no one is cheaper than I am. The only thing I will pay good money for is perfume ;)
    oh and my son.

24. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 19, 2005

For my part time job at a grocery store, I am required to be a member of UFCW. The last contract that they negotiated for us wasn't all that great. All of the concessions were made in the pay of workers hired after the contract was signed, so that all of us who were already union members lost nothing, those who have been hired since have less in comparison. Being in the union hasn't done all that much for me.

If Wal-Mart doesn't want a union in its store, and it can keep its employees happy without one, so be it. I sure wouldn't mind keeping the $34 per month dues in my pocket.