Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Sep 23, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 23, 2013

I haven't posted anything in quite a long time because the new assistant principal job is keeping me incredibly busy!

Anyway, I just wanted to share something that made me happy today. This is the 6th week of school and my first time getting into classrooms due to lots going on in the office. My principal and I did informal walkthroughs this AM (we spent about 2-3 min. in each room). Every single class was fully engaged and the teachers were teaching (some through direct insturction, others in small-group settings, and others working one-on-one with kids).

I just finished writing (by hand) a note to each teacher to compliment them on something I liked during my visit.

Although I truly miss being a classroom teacher, days like today make me enjoy being an instructional leader. :D

3. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

Sounds great! Glad you're enjoying your new position. Please do keep us updated! I'm potentially interested in admin in the distant future, but it's hard to find accounts of what that's really like on a day-to-day basis. :)

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2013

Awesome! I am sure it feel good to witness so much teaching, learning, and creativity. And I'm sure the teachers will feel good reading your notes. :)

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 23, 2013

Walk-throughs are such an essential part of my own learning process. You're handling it well, but don't be afraid to also point out at least one thing that needs to be fixed, even if it's, "Your calendar is showing the wrong month." Trust me, we don't take it personally if you're doing it right.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2013

In all my years of teaching, no one has ever given me something to work on. Even during student teaching, it was all positive. Glowing! Um, that's silly. Of course I've been observed when things could have been tweaked or handled differently. So I do think constructive feedback is important. I like the idea, especially for sensitive ones and just to force some reflection, of asking teachers to share with administration something they were pleased with and something they realize should have or could have been improved. The observer would provide the same. Then, there is a potential for two strengths and two areas of improvement.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 23, 2013

I love going into classes where the students are engaged in higher-order types of tasks! I always follow-up my observations with feedback. If I just stop in (not doing an "evaluation), I usually follow up with an email or quick conversation.

One of the best parts of being an administrator is that you can "invite" yourself into a class at any time. When I hear an interesting lesson going on, I go right in and join the class because I want to be a part of what's happening.