Walking laps at recess?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amanda, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 9, 2015

Sarcasm duly noted. Yes, it was admittedly bad on me. It was just a thought that popped into my head. I still don't see a few laps being run in and of themselves as a horrible punishment that is going to harm most kids. Usually, if a kid has a physical limitation, the family informs the school. However, most kids just don't have that problem. If you don't want your kid running laps or whatever punishment, inform the school and I'm sure they'll accommodate. Otherwise, don't complain about a common exercise.

2. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2015

It is amazing what you will find if you do a search on the topic. The differences are from one extreme to another. Some schools do not allow it at all. Physical punishment of any kind is not allowed including walking laps. Other states allow "reasonable force" which is subjective allowing different forms of punishment to exist. Some states have corporal punishment.

Other states define what recess is about but schools try to skirt the law a bit by allowing the "forced exercise" when the state says the students are given time to play if they want and the laps negate the choice the students are supposed to have by law.

It really is a controversial subject.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 9, 2015

The above is part of the reason I don't do the laps or the wall sits or whatever exercise is replacing recess. It's such a grey legal area.

I also figure it's a waste of time. Either deny them recess or let them have it.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2015

So, would a parent complain if the student was given a choice between laps and some other form of punishment, if the student chose the laps?

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2015

A parent? Always a possibility.

If a parent believed recess should never be used as a punishment, I can see them getting upset. I could also see if they don't believe in physical punishments giving a choice may be a complaint.

There is no guarantee with anything that no parent will complain.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 9, 2015

I once had a parent complain last year that I let the kid out to recess. Me taking away a kid's recess as punishment is very rare. I followed my class system of an in-class time-out and let the kid out to recess. Even then the dad wanted to know why I didn't have him run laps. Good grief, sir, he already met his consequence in class and I'm a selfish teacher who likes to use recess to use the bathroom, brainstorm/gab with the teacher down the hall, set up for the next class, etc.

Yes, if a parent wants to complain, he/she will.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 10, 2015

Heaven forbid if a child walks for punishment. lol. I'm sure most do more walking in one trip to Walmart or a grocery store.

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 10, 2015

:yeahthat:

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2015

When I taught first grade we had them do laps or go back and fourth between the side walk and the fence. Sometimes if it was constant no homework kid or not finish my work in class kid I would take it out for them to do. But I never got there best work our of them so it really wasn't worth the hassle. Now that I am in kind they get to play not matter what. I have other consequences in place for misbehavior or no homework. Which in kinder usually means the parents didn't help them. Which I shouldn't really be punishing the kids for no homework but maybe of the kid doesn't get to play in centers enough times they will tell Mom and Dad they need to do their homework. In the older grades they are going to do study hall this year.

10. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Sep 13, 2015

I am in Connecticut and they started a new rule a few years ago in my district that students are to be offered a 20 minute recess each day (we give them 30 min) the only exceptions are early dismissal/late opening days and that recess could not be taken away as a punishment.

For not doing/handing in homework they have to make it up before or after school once the parents fill out a form and choose which is best for them/their child.

11. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 26, 2018

This is irrelevant to the thread, but I still want to post it. It is under the realm of the thread.
    Plus, nobody will see this post because this thread is old.

I dislike movement and exercise.....just saying. I am fine with the movement required in the classroom (because when a kid runs out of the room, you kind of need to run after the kid)

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2018

:roll: This is just another example of the wussification of this country. You can't do anything anymore...

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2018

People do see it. You seem to have revived several old threads lately. Might be more relevant to start a new thread...

14. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 28, 2018

Sorry. I just really wanted to say it (and hope to be under the radar).
    Maybe it may be more relevant in my "Chat" thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.