Walk Me through the First 2 hours of Day One

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jul 27, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

Walk Me through the First 2 hours of Day One

What does the room look like, feel like.... What do you say, do???? What activities????? Anything else???????

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

I could use a few answers to this as well :)

4. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

This will be my second year in Kindergarten. Last year I put math manipultives on their tables and they were able to explore and play with them while I was calming the criers and helping everyone put their things away. After everyone was at school and settled, we took a trip to the cafeteria and showed them how to get their tray, pick out their food, where to sit, how to dump their trays, and put them away. We then went back to the room and read a story about rules (I think it is called "David's Rules"). We then talked about what is expected from them everyday and why we have to obey the rules. We practiced lining up and sitting back down. By this time, it was almost recess time. We talked about recess and what the behavior on the playground. HTH :D

The first day will fly by!!

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

spunkyteacher, thanks.

6. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Be prepared for all of their school supplies. That part was really overwhelming for me b/c there was sooo much AND sometimes parents would bring them in or someone would say "I forgot to bring markers" etc ... and trying to keep track of it all was really hard! I ended up asking everyone to leave everthing in their backpacks except for their crayons (I had a coloring page out for them to color for the first day). Then ... later ... we made a game out of getting all of our school supplies out and putting them away!

I also read The Gingerbread Man to them and hid little Gingerbread men with poems on them around the building and we took a tour of the school while hunting the gb men.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

here is my quick plan.

8:45 bring the kids to classroom
    8:55 Show them their seats. have coloring papers and crayons available.
    9:00 Introduce myself.
    9-9:20 Show them a couple at a time where to hang up their coat.
    9:20-9:30 Have them put all their supplies in a big brown shopping bag already labeled with their names, so I can sort them after school.
    9:30 -9:35 Take attendance.
    9:35 - 9:40 Ask who may be buying lunch, collect that money. take a class walk to lunchroom and office.
    9:40 - 9:50 Come back
    10:00 - Take kids to the carpet
    10:10 Read a story, Maybe Miss Bindergarten - then discuss the story.
    10:20 have kids tell how they got ready for school.
    have kids make an illustration of themselves getting ready for the first day. collect and hang up
    10:45 take kids outside to take their pictures.

then i think it might be time for lunch already!!

but if I have more time I also want to...
    come inside, show the kids around the room, including the sink for handswashing and the bathroom. discuss proper bathroom procedures.
    put some math maipulatives on the table for exploration, show how to play/ clean up. etc...

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 28, 2009

I also use math manipulatives at the tables. When the kids come in, take the supplies - make sure name is on the bag-help child find their seats and say bye to parents.

About a 1/2 hour after arrivals begin we sit in a circle on the carpet and introduce ourselves. Review rules for classroom and hallway, take a restroom break, then walk around the campus and practice dismissal, how to check my mailbox, etc. Then we come back and read Chrysanthemum and do an activity with our names. We go to lunch really early-around 10:45.

9. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I have a party size can on playdough for each of my children that they get to take home at the end of the day. If my parents walk their children in, I let them get a quick photo and then I hand them a ziploc bag with a cotton ball, a tea bag and a letter. I will include the letter at the bottom. This little gift gets them out quickly and helps avoid the crying. Two years in a row I have had no crying. We give parents the choice of paying the supply fee, which most do, or bringing supplies so getting many supplies is not that difficult. I take up money for snack and lunch. We walk together so I can show them where to take our snack bucket and money. On the walk, we are able to stop by the office, meet the principal, go to the cafeteria, see the restroom and see the library and counselor. We come back and practice getting in line since we always to be in ABC order. By this time it is lunch. We go at 10:15 because our kids will have to put their lunch numbers on a keypad. We go back to the room and read a story about getting ready for kindergarten. I bring out a few math manipulatives to demonstrate centers. Then it is time for PE. After PE it is snack and then we try to get the kids to rest so we can organize bus riders and carpool kids because it will soon be time for home.

letter with tea bag, tissue and cotton ball

Dear Kindergarten Parents,

Here is a little "gift" for you as you leave your precious one with me on the first day of school.

As you hold this cotton ball in your hand, the softness will help you to remember the gentle spirit of your child. After you've gone home and dried your tears with this tissue, make yourself a hot cup of tea. Put up your feet and relax. Remember that together you and I will work for your child to be the best they can be.

Thank you for entrusting your child to me for the coming school year. I will do my very best every day to be your child's guide in learning and exploring this bright, new world they've just stepped into.

Sincerely,

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Yeah I seen that gift for parents yesterday and am contemplating using it. I also saw one that had an apple and talked about parent being the first teacher and you include sight word cards with it. The first gift would be cheaper to make, but I also like the apple one because they actually have a set of word wall cards to start practicing at home.

11. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I have given mine sets of flashcards - letters, words, numbers and shapes - and they never get used. My weekly homework/behavior sheet has a list of words we have covered so I don't worry about the flash cards now. The gift I do is easy and I make a box of tea bags at a time so I don't have as many to make the next year. I have files worth of gifts in jar and survival kit ideas. I can email them to you.

12. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I've also heard of giving the apple. Anyone have the poem or whatever that goes with it?

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

An apple for the teacher doesn't seem like anything special
    until you realize that a child's first teacher is the parent.

This is not exactly it, but gist.

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I always try to have my students do some kind of paper or art work. Parents, myself included, love to see something come home on that first day.

15. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 29, 2009