Walk me through Ipads in classrooms.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2013

Let's say that next September, all 35 kids show up in my Algebra classroom with an Ipad instead of a notebook.

What exactly do I do? (Other than bringing one myself?) I know there are a bajillion apps out there-- how do I restructure my traditional method of teaching to both take advantage of the new technology and still ensure learning?

Could someone walk me through this?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

I would start by planning on having those iPads down for a good part of the first year. Have the notebooks too so you don't get caught off guard.

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

Wouldn't your school provide some PD on this before implementing?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

At my building, they gave each teacher an iPad this year, told all of us to use them, gave us a budget of exactly $0.00 to spend on apps, and gave us no PD of any sort.

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 8, 2013

I would hope it's different though if they give the students all iPads

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2013

At my school I can virtually guarantee it would not be. Last year, they switched us to an all-online math textbook. We were not even told how to enroll kids in the system. I had to figure it out for myself, and then I taught my team how to do it.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2013

Alice--Are there going to be any apps that you can access as an entire class to collaborate as a whole class? When I was teaching 1 to 1, in physics we used several programs that we could work on example problems as a whole class. For Math, I would ask each student to purchase a stylus ( about $9-10 at WalMart) and then they will be able to write problems on their IPad screen like it is a re-usable piece of paper. Some of the apps that I use quite a bit are Classic Board, ShowMe, Educreations, The Protractor Tool, eProjector, iBooks (might have a digital copy of your textbook), and InkFlow. I also recommend getting Pages and KeyNote. They are $10 each but are so much better than any of the 'free" word processing software. There are many free flashcard programs that the students can use to study with and they can use them on their phone also so their study aids are always with them. CalculatorPro and Free GraCalc are also worth getting so there are no more forgotten calculators. I also use several apps that are specific to Chemistry and Physics but you need to look into some of the math apps and just play with them are see which ones will fit into the things that you already do. That is a big mistake that many teachers new to 1 to 1 do, they try to incorporate the technology in new ways instead of taking what you already do well and finding ways to use technology to accomplish these tasks and then try new ideas after you have figured out ways to do the things that you already do with technology.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 8, 2013

Every student and teacher has an ipad at my school this year. It was extremely overwhelming for me because in the other districts I taught in, I had no technology of any kind available- not even desktop computers. I also have a smartboard in my room. I decided to tackle the smartboard first and I'm now using it pretty much all of the time. So far, I've just used the ipads for math fact practice or other "practice" type apps. They did several days of ipad pd at the beginning of the year, but as a new teacher to the district, I was already overwhelmed with so much new information, and I knew nothing about my students yet so I couldn't really put together any practical applications from the pd. I signed up for another class- it's on my own time, but I'll get college credits for it. The first day was yesterday and there will be another saturday and two 3 hour classes after school. I already got a lot of ideas just from yesterday. If your school doesn't offer pd, I would highly suggest seeking it out on your own.

One thing that I thought was really cool that we did yesterday was screencasting. You can basically record a little video for kids of you talking and walking them through math problems (or anything else). You're drawing on the ipad so they can see what you're doing also. Then you can have the kids watch the little videos during class for extra review or as an independent activity while you work with another group of students. It's almost like you're able to clone the teacher.