Walden University

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tiki7719, Jun 27, 2010.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm working on pursuing my Masters in Special Education. I was recently accepted into the M. Special Ed program where I received my undergrad. The program is not as flexible as the college advertised it to be and after sitting down with an advisor, it would be 62 credit hours. This is for a masters and license.

A friend of mine told me to check out Walden University. I've taken online classes before and enjoyed it.

I did some research on the school and received mixed results. Some say it is a "diploma mill" while some raved about the college.

Does anyone have any insight on this program and be willing to share their thoughts?

3. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jun 27, 2010

My only advice is to verify that your state school system will accept the masters from this school. Many states have a listing of "acceptable" schools now. I think that it's because of the diploma mills that have cropped up over the past few years.

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 27, 2010

Thanks for the advice!

I plan on looking into this tomorrow. When I was checking out University of Phoenix, I was informed that Ohio does not accept that teacher license program.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2010

I got my master's degree from Walden. I enjoyed the fact that I could work around my school and personal schedule. It was by no means easy- I did learn a lot.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

I'm going thru it right now. It's not easy by any means. I'm constantly researching stuff and learning something new. It's pretty interesting. What kind of specific questions do you have? I'll be glad to help.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2010

There was a time I looked into Walden. It seemed good. I ended up getting my Masters (also in special ed) at the same university I got my undergrad degree from...a California State University. I LOVE online classes & take them every chance I get.

I plan to get a 2nd Masters & the only school I want to go to for that is another California state univ, but they have a completely online program where I never have to set foot on campus...only on graduation day if I want to!

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 28, 2010

Thanks everyone for your input!

I'm looking for a school that is 100% online for my masters and teaching license. I like not only working independently, but having the flexibility.

Just a curious question about the online masters, how many credit hours do you usually at once?

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2010

One class for 8 weeks, so 2 classes a semester. Usually you will have a paper due by Sunday (most weeks) and a discussion posting due by Wednesday. With most of my classes, you had to have 3 or more responses on the discussion boards as well.