Walden Masters/Any Tips?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Weazy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

I can FIANLLY login to myWalden and my class materials are on their way!! I start on Sept. 2 in the Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas program. I am excited! Anyone else starting Sept. 2nd? How are classes going for those who are already enrolled? How many hours do you spend a week on coursework? I know it is probably different depending on the program, but hopefully it is similar.

Any tips for the newbies?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2008

I am just finishing up my first class. The classes are fantastic! I would say that between reading, discussing, and writing the papers I spend about 2-3 hours a week.

I love it!

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

That's good news. I hope it's the same with my program. I think I can handle that and still handle lesson plans and grading papers! I have heard good things about Walden, so I hope it is all true! You mentioned discussions... how does that work? I haven't done my tutorial yet. I plan to do that this weekend.

5. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Me too hopefully

I just put in my application today. Did you find the admissions process easy??
    I hope to start Sept. 2 as well.
    I searched this message board and another for Walden U and everyone said wonderful things about it so I am really excited :)

6. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

I applied and it took about 1 week to get back to me. My adviser was super nice and she led me through everything. I thought she said you had til the middle of August to get your application in, in order to start for September... I'm guessing because they need to send you books and set you up.

Have they called you?

I start September 2nd. I am very excited.

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

I was called a couple of weeks ago about my acceptance. I was notified today via email that my class materials have been mailed. My enrollment adviser has been great in helping me go through the process. I still need to do my tutorial and I have to set up my account with Tuition Pay. I am anxious to get started! What programs are all of you enrolling in? I wonder if we will have some of the basic classes together?

8. smalltowngal

Aug 15, 2008

My advisors have been amazing! As far as the discussions go, you will have one each week. They are just questions that you need to answer and reflect on that are due Tues/Wed and then you are required to respond to two or more classmates post.

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

I can handle that. Will I be assigned an advisor different from my enrollment advisor? If so, when?

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

So far, I've loved walden. I am finishing up my first course right now. The admissions people were very helpful in getting my application materials.

I spend around 5 hours a week doing the classwork including the readings and such. I am very detail oriented, so I like to take my time. I answer a discussion question and make two responses a week. Those are due on Wednesdays. Papers are due every other sunday and are about 2 pages long (double spaced). I have enjoyed the work and found the readings to be useful. The longest thing I have had to do so far is watch the virtual feild experience video that goes with my class. It wasn't hard at all though. You are assigned an advisor right away. And if you ever need immediate help there is an online chat help that will take care of you immediately.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Which program are you in?

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

Walden sounds great. Is it expensive?

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

I'm in the same program as smalltown, curriculum instruction and assesment. The cost is comprable to brick and mortar schools. It includes your books and DVDs. go to waldenu.edu and the tuition
    info is posted by program.

14. smalltowngal

Aug 16, 2008

I think its about even with other programs. My advisor told me that it will probably end up costing around $12,000.

15. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Yeah--that's what my enrollment advisor told me, too. It is comparable to other schools, maybe a little better because dvd's and other materials are included in your tuition. That is not the case with most other schools.

When I checked with my local ESC to make sure Walden would be accepted by them, I found out that many teachers in my county attend or have gotten their masters through Walden's online programs. I was greatly encouraged by this and by the others on this board. I also know of at least three other teachers in my district that are getting their masters through Walden. The biggest sell for me was...I work with a teacher who is already working on the same program I will be starting, and he uses so much of the material he learns in his classes. I want a program that will benefit me in the classroom...not just fill a state requirement and move me up on the pay scale. If I am going to put the time in, I want to be able to use it! :2up:

16. smalltowngal

Aug 16, 2008

I have gotten so many good ideas from teachers in this first cohort that I can't wait to use. I'm finally getting into the meat of my classes so I am excited about seeing what goes along with those and what I can take away from it and use in my room.

17. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I've been tracking my material package and it is waiting at the UPS in the next town over! It will arrive at my house on Monday, BUT I will be in school for teacher inservice! :down:

Was the tutorial easy? I am planning watching it tomorrow and I hope it all makes sense to me. Does it take long? Can I stop and pick up where I left off if I need to?

18. smalltowngal

Aug 16, 2008

It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but its something that you can do in one sitting. If something comes up, I think it allows you to save your work and come back to it. What I ended up doing for the final exam is to keep a window open that I could go back and look up the answers. :D

19. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

FINAL EXAM!? WHAT? I though it was just a program that walked youthrough the proces of your classes, discussions, etc. I have to take a test already? Jeez. The things they don't tell you. I am not very technology savvy, until I become very familiar with something. I'm sure I will screw it up somehow. Great, they will think I am an idiot right from the start. :( I will try to fumble through somehow.

I am still excited to get started with my classes. Are the classes preselected for us each semester, or after this first semester, do we choose when we want to take which class? Do you have any idea? I probably should have asked my enrollment advisor, but I didn't think about it.

20. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

yeah that final exam for that tutorial is tough. It scared me because I kept getting one question too many wrong so I would have to go back and figure out which one was wrong. But not to worry, the courses aren't like that. :)

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

oh and to answer your question they classes are automatically registered for you in a prescribed sequence. No need to register.

22. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

That's good to know, but now I will worry about the tutorial. What happens if you FLUNK? I guess I will have to take good notes. Thanks for the heads-up. I might not have paid good attention. I'm glad I will be home alone tomorrow, so I can really concentrate.

Walden does seem to try to accomodate you as much as possible. The last thing I need with teaching and a family is more stress. I hope the next year and a half (or so) goes smoothly.

Hopefully, we can share stories!

23. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

if you flunk you can retake it as many times as you need to.

24. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Thanks for the valuable info!! I'm glad I know what to expect and won't be surprised when I sit down to start tomorrow.

I would love to know how many people who use the A to Z boards, also attend or attended Walden. It seems like there might be quite a few. I would also like to know which programs they are in. I guess I'm nosey. :p

25. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I am starting Walden September 2nd. I am in the Education with Math (gr 6-8) program. Very excited to start!

26. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I am so excited to hear you all talk about Walden! I hope to start sometime in the spring.
    My question is and I am not sure if this changes with what state you are in but I will ask it anyway.

I have a bach. in k-6 elementary education. I would like to go to Walden for k-8 science which then I would like to move to middle school to teach science. Does that degree allow for me to do that? Right now I could not teach 7th or 8th grade but would that degree allow for me to do that? Thanks again for your help!!

27. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I am planning to start on 9/2 also. I am going for the elem reading/literacy. My friend just finished hers in the middle school math & said that the first 4 classes are the same for everyone. She is giving me all of her papers/materials as a reference. 2 of my friends are going to do the same course as well.

Her advice was to save each set of course documents in a folder on a drive. It will make it easier for the work at the end of the course. Also at the end you have to have a portfolio, and it makes it easier to set it up. She said to wait until the last semester to start your portfolio, because that course professor will tell you how they want it to be.

28. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Good info to have. Thanks! I am looking forward to that last semester! (except my son will be a senior in high school :()

29. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 21, 2008

oooo - bringing this back...

i got my books today in the mail!!! yay!!

30. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

So glad to see so many other people doing Walden too! I'm starting my 3rd class on the 2nd. I'm in the elementary reading & math K-6 program. Starting my literacy part 1 on the 2nd. So far it's been a great experience for me.

31. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Received my materials early int he week, but they left out a virtual lesson dvd. I called and it arrived today. I still have to do the tutorial. I keep putting it off. I will probably get that out of the way this weekend. Next week I will set up my payment schedule with Tuition Pay and I will be ready for classes! I am getting my MS. in Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas grades 6-12. First class--Teacher as a Professional. Anybody else in that class?

32. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Weazy - I do believe I am in that class too. Maybe it is standard for everyone.

My program is Math 6-8. I completed the tutorial - was pretty easy plus if you keep open an extra window you can complete the final exam using the website. It was actually helpful doing this because I was sorta skimming through everything but when the final exam came I re-read some helpful information. Also if you log into your e-campus account (on the myWalden page) - I received an email from my EA..one part of the email said the tutorial is NOT mandatory... though on the site it says it is.

It was helpful IMO.

33. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

What is the point of the tutorial? I thought it was supposed to teach me the ropes as to how to go about taking the online classes (when to report, attend discussions, etc.) I know classes start Sept. 2, but I don't know anything else. I do not have a clue as to what to do to get started. I assumed that's what the tutorial is all about. Am I wrong?

34. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Well i read somewhere in that tutorial that you must sign in on the first day of classes & also maybe the third day for attendance. They also said to make sure to check your announcements because new ones do not automatically pop up! Other things tests can be timed (& always save your work while doing a test), tests can sometimes be viewed once only, etc.

But some things were not useful bc a) I know how to post to a discussion board b) I know how to attach a document c) I know how to send an email!! Many of the things were about financial aid - which I am not taking out any loans so this did not pertain to me.

I've taken one on-line course before in undergrad so I know the ropes... I didn't do any of the quizzes because nowhere in the tutorial does it say you need to hand them in.

35. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Oh yeah & as for signing in. I mean, I'll probably log in every night before bed (it can't hurt) just to see if anything new is posted. This way also if a new assignment is posted I can start it in school the next day. I mean, I have 3 periods off and I'm good to go with a few weeks of lesson plans...I suppose I can thank starting my masters for this! haha

36. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I will probably do the tutorial sometime today. Taking online classes is completely new to me, and I am not tech savvy either. I need to familiarize myself with the program before the 2nd, so if I have questions I can call Walden and get answers before I screw up! :blush: I'm sure once I get started, I will be o.k. This is all new to me! Everybody has said such good things about the program though, so I am expecting a good experience too.

37. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I am also enrolled in Walden. I start Oct. 27th in the Integrating Technology into the Classroom program. I think we all take a similar base of classes for awhile, and then branch off and take some classes related directly to our area of study. I'm really excited - I've heard great things about it!