Wal-Mart Sale

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by cmorris, Jul 5, 2006.

1. hoku12

hoku12 Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Does anyone have the website to find out if Utah has a tax free day?

2. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2006

MisterG, do you know anything about Teacher's Appreciation Day at Walmart? I have been phoning mine and all they can tell me is that they are having one but they do not know when.

3. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

I havent heard about anything yet....but that doesnt mean such a thing doesnt exist. Have they had em before? Ill have to ask my one of my 13432 bosses when I work on Monday, see if they know.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2006

Did anyone else sign up for the Crayola rep thing at WalMart? I've heard from a couple of people that I trust that it's valid. They ask teachers to sign up to work a 5 hour shift in the back to school area. I am supposed to help parents with back to school questions. They stress that it's not about brand, but more wanting to know how that particular WalMart deals with back to school. (The questions we'll have to answer for them are things like how organized it was, how quickly they refilled empty spots, etc). Once I work the shift and turn in my survey they are going to send me a WalMart gift card for $150. (Perfect for back to school time!) I hesitated, but since it's Crayola and that I know a couple of people that did it, I went for it. Hopefully they're right and it's not a scam.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2006

They asked me to sign up for a shift but I had no idea what they were talking about and they did not explain themselves, so I did not phone them back. Maybe I'll phone back on Monday and find out more. Do you have to fill out anything for taxes? I am here on a Visa and am not allowed to accept a paycheck from anyone besides my school district, but a gift certificate shouldn't count if taxes are not involved.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 30, 2006

I haven't filled anything out yet for taxes and since it's a gift card and not a paycheck I'm assuming I won't.

7. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

I went to work today to get my schedule and asked around. They said there is no teacher appreciation day. I guess if some stores have had them in the past, its probably just a single store thing, if WM even allows that.

8. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 30, 2006

Yesterday I was at walmart and they were handing out boxes for teachers with a lot of free samples in them. It had kneexe, visa via marker, pencil, pen, clickable perm. marker, expo marker, eraseable marker, eraseable colored pencil, eraseable crayon, sticky photo paper, post-its, and a few other random teacher friendly samples.

A guy with a crayola smock was by the table. I said are these for teachers and he was like umm...yeah well for anyone who asks. So I took one. After looking inside I would say they were geared towards teachers.

This was in Illinois.:love:

9. hoku12

hoku12 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

As a substitute teacher would any of you recomend me getting extra items so that I can carry them in my bag? Do you think I should invest in extra pencils, crayons things like that? I have spoke to other teachers and they have given me horror stories about not having supplies for the classes they have substituted for. Are these people just a slect few or does this happen quite a bit?

10. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

When I subbed, I never had a problem with not having suppllies. I just kept a few inkpens for myself (some teachers lock their desk). Usually, students have their own supplies in their desk or group supplies on a shelf or something. You shouldn't need to bring your own. I suppose if a class you subbed for didn't have supplies, you could ask another teacher or the secretary where they are.

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Found some dry erase boards for $1.00 at Walmart today. All they had left were 3 but I snagged them! They will go well in my writing center!

12. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I always took a bag with me when I subbed. I hated having to search around in someone elses desk to find notepaper, pens, post-its, etc. I didn't have to use my things very often, but it was nice to having things right where I knew to look.

13. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I had a great night at walmart tonight. I went to look for fabric for my bulletin boards - this had always worked out well for me student teaching. I wound up getting 4 yds. of a navy blue fabric on clearance and then was lucky enough to stumble on a very colorful, ilustrated map of the US. It is in panels on the fabric and will take up half a bulletin board or look very nice spread out on a shelf or table in the classroom. I purchased 4 yds. and they had a ton left. Everything on the rack was on clearance for $1 a yard. I was very happy with that. The rest of the small teaching section was well picked over - no more pocket charts or anything of that nature - I don't use them, but was looking for you guys. But, lots of stickers and incentives were left, plus colorful name tags for desks and word wall kits.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

I have never seen fabric with a map - what a great find! if my feet didn't hurt so much, I would run to WM right now.

15. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Well, here's a few photos I just took of it, if you are interested. One is very up close, so you can see the cute little illustrations for each state, plus, they include Canada, but not as in depth with illustrations and such. Very cute!!! It may be a little young for my 6th grade and 8th grade classroom, but I don't care. I think it's cute for any history classroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2006

That is awesome. It doesn't look particularly 'young'. What grade?

17. JWar417

JWar417 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I am teaching 6th grade - ancient civilizations (4 classes) and just one class of 8th grade US history. I have so much US History stuff, but I feel a little guilty since that isn't my concentration this coming year. And, as a new teacher, I am getting so excited over bargains that I have been able to find.

I'm going to go back tomorrow to see if I can get some more for other teachers I know from all different grade levels and if anyone wants some for their own use, I will see how much is left and wouldn't mind mailing it out to whoever needs it; it would only be a matter of the cost of the fabric and the shipping charges.

18. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 1, 2006

I found word tiles in little containers for less than 5 each. I bought the "word tiles" and "phonics" tiles. I tutored last night and my tutoree had a blast making words and sentences. A great source for literacy center. They had pocket charts for 10 dollars but I don't need one. I wish I could find the desktop pocket charts...can't find them at Walmart or Target. I'm wondering if I wasn't meant to have them (but I really want them).

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Target has a lot of summer games and toys on clearance now. I found some small stuffed animals for 47 cents and hello kitty's for $1.24.

20. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Anyone know what's on sale in Wal Mart and Target next week? I'll finally be near both stores when my family goes on vacation next week...and vacation IS shopping for me and my mother!!

21. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I think you can go to their website to see next weeks sale. I know at least you can for other stores.

22. kramercindy

kramercindy Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I don't know about ya'll, but the walmart by my house has 2 pocket folders for 20/$1.00! Last night, they were ringing up 20/$1.60, and she gave me some of the for 2 cents a piece! I might stock up on some of the crayons and stuff. Good idea!

23. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

I went here today and found multiplication wipe off boards, about the size of a placemat. I am going to use them for a center. They were only two bucks each. I am going to drill a hole in the corner to attach a dry erase marker, and a hook on the top to hang them with the rest of the centers.
    They are double sided and have all the mult. 1-10.

24. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

Anyone who plans on going to Target any time soon: A word to the wise...
    They had 3 different packages of Elmers stick glue on sale. A two pack, a six pack, and a thirty pack. If you do the math, you get 10 glue sticks for a dollar in the 2 pack, 6 for a dollar in the 6 pack, and even less per dollar in the pack of 30. Be careful to really do the math on everything on sale!!

25. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2006

Walmart has Elmer's glue for 5 CENTS!!!!!!!! Yes, I bought a bundle yesterday for 5 cents a piece! Found the pocket charts for $9.99, letter tiles for about $3 to make words......I'm going back tomorrow so I'll keep you guys posted on any new sales! I just love finding sales, especially for a broke, first year teacher.:D

26. Youngteacher226

Aug 20, 2006

By the way, Walmart also has carpet for cheap for any one looking to change their reading areas etc. Carpet in sizes 6X9 or 5X6 just about $14 and $24!!!!!!! Great deal.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 20, 2006

I bought my rug at Walmart and it has already survived for 2 years and is going on its third.

28. Youngteacher226

Aug 20, 2006

That makes me feel even more better about buying it!! Thanks.:D

29. Youngteacher226

Aug 20, 2006

By the way, proud2bateacher, what is the size of your group time carpet???? I'm just wondering if I am aiming for the right size that would fit a group of 25 kids. (I haven't gotten into my room yet to measure).

30. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

Don't forget to check out the Goodwills near your house :) I went this weekend and bought a bunch of manipulative storage containers (long rectangular ones) for 99 cents each. I bought a heavy duty toddler lounge chair (the type you take to concerts not the cheap ones Wal-mart carries) for 2.50, an area rug (about 3 feet by 4 feet?) for 4.00, and tons of books! They often carry good things :)

My friend who went with me even found a tv for 20 and vcr for 15! Both work :)

31. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

Youngteacher226, which walmart did you go to? Where in NY are you?

32. Youngteacher226

Aug 20, 2006

I am in upstate NY. :D