Wal-Mart Sale

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by cmorris, Jul 5, 2006.

1. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I went to walmart yesterday and picked up a few folders, because they were marked $.10. Well, when I checked out they were ringing up for a penny! I guess they are automatically matching Staples price, and there is no limit (so I went back and got 75 more!) The wide ruled 1 subject notebooks for only $.10 yesterday too.

2. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

I went to my Walmart today to see if they had the 1 cent folders, but they don't. :-(

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 14, 2006

I was looking at my Walmart the other day. There were so many things I wanted to buy! I'm waiting to find out if I've got a job for September, though because I spent quite a bit of money last year and then didn't end up with my own classroom.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

MY Walmart was out of folders, notebooks, and crayons.

So I just went back to Staples to get 15 more folders. ;)

5. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jul 14, 2006

If you look around in the kid's toy section at Walmart, they have this huge box of kid's puzzles for $7.00. The box is about the size of a pizza box and it contains within it, 11 seperate puzzles for kids! I thought it was a good deal since one puzzle usually costs $5 or more. The puzzles are animals, dinosaurs, cartoon drawings, teddy bear, etc..Check it out!

6. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Wow I can't believe your Walmart ran out of crayons. I live in Indy though so I guess they stock up more!!

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

Shoot, I forgot to check there when I was at WalMart today! I bought several sets last summer, though... they were 6 puzzles plus a puzzle rack for about $7. they served me quite well this year... but I'm sick of my puzzles, so I'll look forward to getting some more. I may have to head back there. ;)

Target also puts puzzles on their dollar rack periodically... I got some last year right before school started and then some as they changed the "theme" of their rack throughout the year.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

Thanks! If you use the link you also have to click on the red tab on the upper left that says "Upcoming circular".

highlights:
    9cents Elmer's School Glue
    15 cents filler lined-paper packs
    75 cents 1 subject notebook
    68 cents Crayola fine or broad tip 10 pack markers
    higher priced calculators on sale too.

What are the best prices we can expect for these items (and when and where did you find them last year?

Also, anyone get a good deal on those plastic school supplies boxes last year? How much and when and where? I want to buy a bunch for home and classroom organizing.

10. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Wow those are some awesome deals. I am going to be broke before I even know if I have my own room this year.

11. TeacingnTN

TeacingnTN Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

Walgreens has those school supply boxes on sale next week 2/$1. Starts Sunday and runs through Saturday, the 22nd.

12. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

I clicked on the staples link for next week sales and changed the location to where I live and the sales are different! Check your area before you go in expecting something and it is really not on sale!

13. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

Pocket Chart Loser

I'm disgusted with me. I found three pocket charts at Walmart and talked myself out of buying them, TWO DIFFERENT DAYS. Then after reading everybody's posts, I went back and they were gone. :(

14. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

where do you guys normally find the pocket charts (what area) are they usually by the school supplies? I don't remember seeing them at all..

15. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 14, 2006

in my walmart they had their own little teacher section near the crayons in the seasonal area

16. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

I went to my local Wal-Mart yesterday and they had the three ring hard back binders with the pockets inside for 2 cents. I picked up about 42 of them. For .88 I can find some kind of use for them. I plan on using 20 of them for my children keeping a journal.

17. Mrs.N

Mrs.N Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

Tax free day

18. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I just want to say I went to the Dollar Tree this evening and they had a lot of teacher stuff. I found posters, alphabet charts, white boards, designed computer paper, letters for bulletin boards... all for $1. I have yet to find the charts at Wal-Mart. Has anyone else been going crazy buying school stuff? I've already spent $100 and there are still things I want to buy.

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

I did not find pocket charts at my WalMart, either. They had some manipulatives, boarders, stickers, etc. in the back-to-school section, but I'm not letting myself buy anything else for school other than VERY generic supplies until I actually know what and where I'm teaching next year. Which is SO hard because I really want this stuff!!!!!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Thanks!

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

oh wow! Thanks for letting me know that.:love:

23. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I went to Wal-mart and they had a bunch of the table top pocket charts and the regular pocket charts. I already have a regular pocket chart that I almost never even use, but I did buy a small tabletop one. Now I'm wishing I had bought a few more because they are perfect for centers and small groups. I hope they still have them when I go back.

24. kermy

kermy Companion

Jul 15, 2006

i went to wallie world and didnt buy anything b/c i didn't get a job this yr=(....sorry

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

I'm in the same boat. I bought a litlte bit of stuff (folders for a penny, etc.) but I don't want to spend any more money till I know I have a job. By the time I get hired, everything will be gone and I'll be stuck paying higher prices, but it's a gamble I have to take. I have an interview on Monday, maybe things will change after that.

26. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2006

Good luck on your interview, goopp!! What grade is it for?

27. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

Actually, there is not an opening...yet. It's the school where my daughter goes, so the perfect scenario. I heard through the grapevine that they were only a couple students away from opening a new KK class, and that a third grade teacher was promised that position if it opened up...so that would leave a 3rd grade without a teacher. I'm preparing materials to take with me about 3rd grade, but I'm open to anything. Hopefully a couple of families have moved in to the school's boundries and a position will be available. I called the principal yesterday. He knows I want to teach this year. I asked him for a few minutes to talk to him...and he agreed right away. Every other time he's put me off, so he must be getting close to needing a new teacher...at least that's what I'm hoping for.

28. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Goopp how far are you from Newton? If you are close enough there are still openings since our principal just found out that she has to have 3 more teachers because of pre-enrollment increases in #'s.

29. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

pretty far, I'm in North Canton. It's probably 2 hours to Newton County. Cherokee is growing rapidly, especially in Canton, so I'm hoping for the same thing here. With 2 kids in Cherokee County Schools, including 1 in high school, I really want to be close...to be able to go to swim meets and tennis matches, etc.

30. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Here in NH everyday is a tax free shopping day-- no slaes tax!

31. baby wildcat

baby wildcat Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

My school system has a business account with Office Depot. We have to order from their business catalog (which we can access online) so we can't go to the store to purchase but the price are awesome!!! It is so easy to make purchases and use a purchase order this way. You all might want to check with the financial officer at your board and see if you have this option or if they would check into it. We can't use a purchase order at Wal-mart so I only purchase from them when they have the back to school sale - I spend a fortune on my classroom every year!
    Did you all know that you can get free copy paper at Office Depot and Office Max? Take your used up ink jet cartridges and toner cartridges in and you can get recycled copy paper. All of my friends send me their cartridges - I haven't bought paper in 2 years!!! You can also sign up with Staple's Online to send them in for money for your classroom.
    By the way, my Wal-mart has pocket charts, they are in the "home-school" section.

32. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

I went to Staples today, but they were almost out of the pocket folders. I think I'm gonna go to Walmart later and see if they'll match prices. ;)

33. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 15, 2006

New Target sale starts tomorrow...7 cent folders, 2 for 1 packs of pencils or pens, $1 fiskar scissors or 6 pack Elmers glue, 88 cent crayola markers (10) colored pencils (12) or crayons (48), and $1 spirals, 88 cent Sharpies and highlighters. NO limit on anything.

34. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 15, 2006

my dh was tired of hearing me complain I was missing the sales on pencils, he bought me 2 packs of 36 :)..... that should last my 4 kids a little while. (its the principle of the sale though)

35. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Our Staples gives you $3 off your order with a empty ink cartridge

36. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Anyone have any idea on what sale prices Wal-Mart has for this week?

37. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Well it isn't posted anywhere but when I got some more crayons today at Walmart they rang up 15 cents.

38. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

Oh I hope the Target sale gets better---

Last year they had 10 cent notebooks, 10 cent rose art crayons and pencils and 20 cent crayola crayons and pencils.

39. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Yeah I know...I feel like last years sells were way better than this year's. And it is not cause it is July. They already had there sells good at this time last year.

40. benemma

benemma Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

We don't have a sales tax in Oregon.:D