Wal-Mart Sale

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by cmorris, Jul 5, 2006.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

I was at walmart for live fish, anyhow- I got to check out the school supply stuff out already....
    I want a class set of:
    The one thing that is out that i did NOT put on my class supply list is a double sided laminated hurricane tracking map! It was on a rack that everything was red tagged/clearance. I was soooo excited I would have bought a class set! I took one to customer service and they told me it was in the wrong place, just because there is no designated shelf space for it since it lays flat and stacked. They are 8 bucks a piece- gonna need to write a grant to cover that!

2. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I looked the other day for stuff at Walmart and they didn't have anything out, much less teacher stuff. I'm gonna check a different store today.

3. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Ok...I've been to two Walmarts and can't find any pocket charts. Am I looking in the right spot? I looked in the school section, specifically where the teacher stuff is.

4. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I've never seen pocket charts at my Wal-Mart. I guess some just don't carry them, or maybe I just look in the wrong place.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 7, 2006

Ms. Candy,

Where are you moving here in GA?

I am about 35 miles east of ATL and I absolutely love it.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

Illinois is at 8.75 - 9.00 % on taxes--- but why are you all waiting for tax-free days? Don't you have tax exempt letters?

7. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Jul 7, 2006

Our 1st "big" Walmart sale in Texas starts Sunday, July 9th til the 15th. They are going to have supplies for 10 - 88 cents.

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

Tax exempt letters?

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I just came back from Wal-Mart. I found the pocket charts in a small teacher section with the school supplies. They also had short sentence strrips, stickers .... Our pocket charts were in the same aisle with the crayons. It was on the bottem self and rolled up, so if you did not know what you were looking for, you would have walked by them.

11. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

Oh-we don't have one of those-they just tell us to itemize our taxes later.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

If you work for a public school system I'd call your human resourse deprartment. You should have one as you are not required to pay taxes on items consumed and used by your classroom. Not all stores accept them but the major chains and local teacher stores all do.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

Do you have to pay at customer service?

14. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

They have sentence strips too????? Wow! Our Walmarts must be behind on education or something. I couldn't find anything like that. I'll keep looking though.

15. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I went to Walmart and Staples this week and I saw supplies I want to buy, can't wait until they finish putting everything out because i'm so ready in getting everything together to start my first year.

16. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Jul 7, 2006

I have to wait until Aug.1st to start buying anything so I have receipts for our Teacher's Choice program. Last year, they gave us $220. We can only hand in receipts dated aug. 1 to march 15, which is ridiculous. Why can't I start now if I see what I want. My Wal-mart is starting a sale this wekkend!

17. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I worked for Wal-Mart a year ago and teachers had a tax exempt card. I did not remember until just now. The person would have a letter that they took to customer service and trade it in for a card that they could use at any register.

18. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

The Wal-Mart's here don't usually carry the pocket charts and other teacher supplies until the back to school sales. I have been to both here in my town, and neither one is far enough along in putting out the supplies to have them yet. I am thinking by next weekend they should have them out.

19. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

That's how it is here. I am going to continue to look though.

20. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Just spent ten dollars and got...
    60 70-page spiral notebooks
    5 bottles of glue
    15 boxes of crayola crayons...

The prices never fell last year, so I decided to stock up now...However, I did notice that the prices were lower this year than last...

21. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

And I was shocked to see pocket charts for $9.98. I would of bought some, but I already have enough already!

22. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I am so glad that I am starting to be addicted to this site!! I am a first-year teacher, and I had no idea the sales started this soon. I went today and bought a bunch of stuff...including pocket charts..which I got for $6.88 a piece!!! They rang up as $9.97 but were labeled $6.88 so they gave me the cheaper price!

23. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Andrea, You should have bought some and sent them to those of us that can't find any at Walmart. :)

24. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

arm605, I am addicted to this site too! This will be my first year as well and I am getting so many ideas.

25. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Hey Brandi, I know what you are talking about. I check it several times a day just to learn new things. These teachers are brilliant! Plus, it gives me something productive to do while my fiance sits on his laptop and plays poker all night!

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

Not usually-- At Target I just go through the regular line I would and tell the cashier "this is tax exempt." then they will ask to see my letter a form of ID and type the info in the computer--- Y'all seem to be talking about wal-mart a lot but we don't have any in the city-- at least not yet--

27. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I also found some magnetic cork boards for only $2.50 each!

28. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

OK. It's official I've decided that our Walmarts in Jacksonville, FL stink. I went again today and they had all of their school supplies out and STILL no pocket charts or sentence strips.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2006

The Staples ad has folders on sale for $0.01. I'm going to get some tomorrow for my kids. We haven't gotten supply lists yet (What a PAIN!!!) But with 2 teachers and 2 elementary aged kids, we can certainly use up the 15 foler max!!

30. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 9, 2006

Staples also has pencil sharpeners (small, individual with cover) and boxes of 12 pencils for $.01 each. limit is 3 per person.

31. ktmays06

ktmays06 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

I used to be the copy center manager at a local Staples, and I think I may be able to offer some helpful information. If I completely understand what you're looking for, its an 8 1/2 x 11 laminated map for each student to follow hurricanes from Africa to the US. Why not run off double-sided black and white copies, then go to Staples and have them laminated. They do it for .99 each and you can use dry erase markers on them for a long time. I used to use windex to clean them off and it works like magic. It's not as pretty as color, but just as functional (and much less than $8).

In case the maps are largers, Staples also laminates 8 1/2 x 14 for 1.19 and 11 x 17 for 1.99. Many stores can now also do much larger sizes in store, and if not they can send out to have it done.

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

The manager said the sale is good all week and another sale will start next Sunday.

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

Just got back from Staples and managed to get 120 pocket folders, 6 boxes of pencils, 6 poly binders, and a 6 pack of Spiral notebooks as well as a couple of other things and only spent $7.76 since when I showed them my teacher rewards card they rang everything up together. Will go back tomorrow to get the pencil sharpeners and a few more folders (forgot that I needed some for my book bags to put the activity sheets in).

34. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

Wow MelissaGA....now that is what I call a sale. I thought the sale was only for one day, I will go back and get some pencils you can never have enough pencils.

35. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

According to the assistant manager that said I could get more than the "limit" the sale runs through Saturday.

36. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 10, 2006

I went with 3 kids this morning. We each got 15 folders, 3 boxes of pencils and 3 pencil sharpeners. that was $.22 each...I did get my daughter a book bag, 8 poly binders and 10 plastic folders...it was less than $17 total.

37. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 10, 2006

Just got back from Staples! Wow!!!! I took my fiance with me so we could buy double. In all we got 30 folders (with pockets and prongs), 10 clear plastic folders (with pockets and prongs), 8 plastic 1'' three-ring binders, and 6 pencil sharpeners for $4.36 !!!!!
    I'm going back for more sharpeners later!

The best part was that the lady at the register let me take five empty boxes that the folders were in FOR FREE. They sell these on the Callowayhouse website and other teacher stores for $25.00 for a set of 6!!!

38. TeacingnTN

TeacingnTN Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I picked up a pocket chart from Wal-Mart for $9.97 on Friday. Today, a friend and I went to a different Wal-Mart and they had the pocket charts labeled $6.88. I got two of them and my friend got two more. I knew that they were supposed to be $9.97, but after reading Arm605's post earlier, I decided to see if I could get them for the $6.88, and I did!! They rang up $9.97, but I told them about the label and that's what they gave them to me for!! I was tickeled!!

39. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 10, 2006

while I couldn't sleep last night, I was stressed that I would miss the pencil and folder sale at Staples.

went and got the crayons and glue at Office Depot yesterday, I guess I should have shot up the street and gone to Staples, it was just a bit out of the way.

40. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I'm glad you were allowed to take the empty cardboard box, I tried to do that and the cashier told me I couldn't have it. :confused:
    I'm like, its an empty carton, all you guys are going to do is break it down and throw it away. Oh well...