Waiting...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by zurc, May 15, 2012.

1. zurc

zurc Rookie

May 15, 2012

I had 2 promising interviews Monday, last week. At the end of the interview both of these principals said they cannot offer me a job yet since they're waiting for the personnel to formally resign. I did send them a thank you e-mail but did not get any response. The first principal did a reference check a couple of days after the interview (my current principal told me and I haven't even told her), but I haven't heard anything back. The second principal said she will contact me for a second interview with the team but have not heard back from her either.

Why would they interview if they have nothing specific? Is it normal for principals to interview without an advertised position? Does the reference check mean anything? I am just so anxious with the waiting! When is it appropriate to send a follow up e-mail?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

The process can sometimes take a while. You just need to be patient. I think it's also a good idea to keep applying elsewhere until you have a firm offer in hand and a signed contract.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you tell your principal that you were applying elsewhere or that you had used her as a reference? That seems unprofessional to me. Are you certain that your principal gave you a good recommendation? Is it possible that she was surprised and/or upset when she received a reference phone call out of the blue and ended up giving you a poor recommendation?

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 16, 2012

I've had interviews for positions that weren't officially posted yet. That's actually the job I ended up taking this year. What happened was that the teacher had verbally told my principal she was leaving, but she had not turned in her paperwork yet. As soon as her paperwork was submitted, then they were able to officially offer it to me.

5. zurc

zurc Rookie

May 16, 2012

Caesar753 I was going to let her know but I guess I was a little too late. She spoke to me and said not to worry but she's giving me good references.

6. zurc

zurc Rookie

May 16, 2012

I got a job offer today!! It is for another campus, same district but not the ones I mentioned above. I am having second thoughts so I told the principal for her to give me until next week to consider. This campus has low test scores that's why I'm hesitant because I don't know if I can keep up with the challenge.

Will it be okay to send a follow up e-mail to those 2 principals and see if they're still considering me for employment? or if there will be vacancy anytime soon? I wouldn't want to turn down a job offer.. and is it okay to let them know that I have been offered a job?

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 16, 2012

It is certainly OK to inquire where they are in the process and let them know you have another offer. However, don't let low test scores color your impression about the school. The test isn't everything. Why don't you visit the school and see how you like it?

I work in a school that has low test scores and it is a wonderful school with a supportive administration and caring teachers. Marvelous things happen at our school that have no relation to the scores.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 16, 2012

I agree that you should ask to visit the school. Test scores shouldn't really be part of your decision...like swansong1, my school doesn't have the best test scores but I wouldn't want to teach anywhere else. Its about the kids, the faculty, and the admin, not the test scores. Sure test scores can bring on more challenges at times, but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor for me.

As for emails, you can definitely email the other Ps and ask where they are in the process because you have received a job offer but you're still interested in the other positions. However, if they are waiting for someone to resign, it could take a while.

9. zurc

zurc Rookie

May 29, 2012

Thank you guys for all your replies! Just to give you an update since I got busy the past 2 weeks.

I had another job interview (the reason why I stalled the 2 job offers), and the atmosphere felt right! I met with all the teachers I'll be working with and they seem really nice. So upon closing, I told the principal to give me a time frame as to when I will be hearing from her again since another campus is waiting to hear back from me in a couple of days. She said she'll let me know before the day ends! She did, and recommended me for employment! Yay!!

Now the funny thing is, this school I mentioned which I wasn't so sure about ended up calling to tell me that the opening is no longer available (without any response from me.) So I guess the universe decided, it's not meant to be.

Now, I've already accepted a job offer on the phone. My new hire paperwork has yet to be scheduled. This district has a reputation of holding out, and not processing paperworks until mid July. So is it okay to contact them, and say maybe I'm in town and can swing by to do the paperwork? I'm just being paranoid right now since there is no formal documentation of this job offer. I have to relocate, and I don't want to get started even file my resignation without this.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 29, 2012

Congrats! So glad it all worked out :) Yes, I'd tell them you are in town and would like to swing by for paperwork. Good luck!! I wouldn't want to resign until you have a contract or some formal documentation either.

11. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

May 29, 2012

Congrats!

12. zurc

zurc Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

Thank you Leighball and MathEqualsLove

Can you guys help me. How do I follow up on my job offer? I sent her an email last Friday, and I still haven't heard from her. I was really hoping that I could take care of all paper work and the moving by June. I'm just so paranoid!

13. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

congrats zurc! i agree with the others, make sure you have that legal documentation. I am currently waiting to hear back from an interview and it's a killer! no one seems to respond when they say they will