Waiting with other candidates.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by burgandy01, Aug 14, 2015.

1. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Isn't it sooo awkward when you're sitting with other people all vying for the same job?!

I usually try to break the ice and start a conversation.

Of course, I did that today and realized the guy had a lot more experience than me.... which means he more than likely got the job :unsure:.

3. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

Most of the time we don't talk but once in awhile (usually when there's at least 3 of us waiting) we talk. To me it's rough seeing the candidates. I know it's judging a book by its cover but usually by looking at someone I figure if they have an advantage over me. I'd rather not see the other candidates.

4. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Agreed!

5. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

It can be awkward and yes, discouraging. However, remember that you're all in the same boat and if anyone can understand how tough it is, it's those people in the waiting room with you. I actually found it relaxing to have a little conversation and forget the nerves before going in. :)

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 15, 2015

The worst for me was for this very "posh" elite district with 4 schools. I got their very early (I'm near LA so I leave very early when driving due to traffic, accidents, and fires this time of year) and I found out that day for the first round that there were over 20 people interviewing for 5-10 minutes each. I saw several of them come and go and I laughed off being invited. It actually took the pressure off when going in for the interview because I already assumed I had no chance due to several candidates (for my position I usually imagine that they only meet like 5 people).

To my surprise I got a 2nd interview which led to I think 5. Didn't get a third interview though. 2nd interviews IMO are difficult because they often ask you the same questions in front of the same people.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 15, 2015

The last time that happened to me was about ten years ago. Two ladies were waiting with me for a sixth grade interview. They both had sixth grade experience and I only had younger grades experience. I definitely felt like the underdog, but did my best in the interview anyway. I got the job.

8. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Happy endings are always nice to hear. What a surprise!

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 15, 2015

I always talked to other candidates in line at job fairs, but in that situation it's not as awkward because you're not specifically interviewing for the same position. I always felt really awkward siting next to other people waiting for "real" interviews. I never knew if I should try to strike up a conversation or not!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2015

One of my colleagues who was hired at the same time as I says she saw me come in and was worried :blush: Dont let anyone psych you out. Be polished, professional and polite.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

I hated when I would walk into the main office while a bunch of other candidates are also waiting to get interviewed. Once in a while, conversations occurred, but most of those times I felt calmer when it was my turn. Just don't be intimidated. You came in for you, not for others.

12. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

The worst!!!! On one interview I went to this summer, they were running an hour (!!!!!!) late because they were holding several interviews at once, so people had to shuffle between meetings. I sat in the office with another candidate for about 30 minutes. I felt rude, but I didn't try to talk to her. I wanted to stay "in the zone" and didn't want to psych myself out.

I hate when you are leaving an interview and cross paths with the next candidate! I always feel like I am being sized up.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 18, 2015

Are you doing any sizing up of your own? Would seem only fair.;)

14. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 18, 2015

It's also not a good sign when you hear them laughing with the candidate before you!

15. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

Lol...definitely not!

16. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 21, 2015

Haha I try not to! But I always do, if only to psych myself up :cool:

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 21, 2015

I love the honesty. :thumb:

My son and I took a grad class with a lady who was simply a nut job. Trust me, no other words to describe the hot mess she was. When the son went on an interview, he came home and said that the interview was only so-so, he didn't expect anything to come of it. But all of a sudden he burst in to laughter and told me I wouldn't believe who was waiting to be interviewed. You guessed it, nut job! We laughed that since the admin doing the interviews were only half-heartedly engaged, it would serve them right to get this on their staff.

We went out for ice cream - it works at any age to dull the pain and put a better spin on the day and the attitude! I will have to remember to go back and check that website later this fall and see if she is on staff. I am sitting here smiling just thinking about her in a classroom. :lol: