Waiting until the last minute to register for school

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by starbucks, Aug 23, 2010.

1. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

Just venting! The first day of school is on Wednesday 8/25(teachers started today 8/23). We have a PreK - 6th grade school with about 450 kids total. Today alone over 15 kids registered for school ( in various grade levels) and the secretary said over 30 kids registered for school last week. I'm sure a few more will register tomorrow. This is not new. It happens every year! We also probably have kids on our rosters that won't show up on the first day because they moved and didn't tell us. It drives me crazy. Why can't parents get their act together. Its like "Oh my child is 5 years old and school starts tomorrow. Maybe we better go sign him up for kindergarten!" I wish parents realized how much work is involved in setting up a classroom and how nice it would be to have more than a days notice that they are coming.

Does this happen everywhere or is just the irresponsible parents in my school district.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

We have all gotten used to having several registrations the week before school starts and during the first week. Everyone gets supplies, etc for 2 or 3 more students than are on their class lists and the caretakers have extra desks and chairs at-the-ready.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Even in our private school it happens.

5. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Always happens here, too. Plus we always have last minute schedule changes in the upper grades. Most of our teachers don't start teaching curriculum the first week precisely for that reason. I'm in awe of the teachers on this forum that say they jump right in the first day-not sure I'd know how to do that! :D

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 23, 2010

2007-2008 school year: The private school my kids were going to announced it was closing 5 days before the school year started. 800 kids had to register at different schools on that short notice.

2009-2010 school year: I moved under chaotic circumstances in June. Between trying to find a job, a house, and get settled the end of July was upon me before I knew it. I registered my kids the week before school started.

That's twice in the last three years that my kids have been registered at the last minute. I am not an irresponsible parent. Things happen, time flies by.

You don't know the circumstances behind those kids being registered at this late date. It's a little insulting that people automatically assume the worst and throw around offensive labels.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

Many first time parents have no clue that you can or should register your kids early for preschool.

As to the rest, with the economy as it is, lots of people are living on the edge. They don't know where they'll be living next month, if or where they'll be working. For some, that private school tuition that wasn't a problem in June is just out of the question now.

Getting the names on the desks pales in comparison with the stress some of these parents are facing.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I am one of the irresponsible ones who waited til the last minute just because.:p

However, working at the school did make it okay in my book.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

Oooooooooops! I know what y'all mean.
    Still trying to perfect this; get on stuff right away, get it done, instead of just sitting on it!
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 24, 2010

We have some kids who won't show up until after labor day. They drop at the end of the year so it doesn't count against their attendance.

11. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I know that some circumstances make it impossible for parents to register early. I do realize that not all parents that register late are irresponsible.

The problem is, however, is that class size suffers. Our school board will look at the numbers at the end of July and decide if they have to cut or add another teacher in a grade level. Usually the late registering kids are spread across all grade levels, but once in a while one grade will get hammered and gain a bunch. My district will not add another teacher after July, so all those extra kids that were not registered early can make an unecessary big class. It is frustrating.

12. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

Yes, it's aggravating, and it sounds like we all experience it. The truth of the matter is, we have to deal with it, even though we don't like it... and trust me, I don't like it! :)

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I am currently sitting at 15 students, and we start school after Labor Day. I expect to be around our cap of 22 the first week of school. Most of our students don't register until a few days before, or the first week! July seems very early to evaluate numbers... we wait until Sept. 30 for ours.

14. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 24, 2010

happens a LOT at our school....i was moved from K to 1st because 'we won't have enough K students for 4 classes' NOW the 3 K classes have 24 each and more are sure to come....so they will possibly hire another K teacher

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

Well, I guess I'm lucky because my sp. ed class has a cap of 6. We have revolving registration though so kids can be admitted any time of the year.
    I'd hate to be that public school teacher who gets laid off for low enrollment...only to have 50 kids register the day before school starts.

16. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

Yea, we hired a new K teacher over the summer, and now the K classes are super low in numbers. I think they are at about 12 each (and have an aide)... I'm hoping that we get a lot of K registrations the next few weeks so they don't have to let one of our fantastic teachers go!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

Our schools are not open during the summer until the week before school starts. Parent can register their children at the school board office, although, that isn't very convenient, so most wait until they can get into the school. As well, many parents who are new to the country really don't know that they need to register their children early. We'll do a re-evaluation of our numbers sometime during the 3rd week of school and will reorganize classes then if needed.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2010

Our cap in first grade is 28... :eek: and for the last four years I've started the year with 30 plus kids, but the school district has always waited until after school starts to open a new class.

Until this year...even though we only had 18-19 per class, they hired another teacher in July. We are now at 7 sessions in our grade level and are up to 23-24...with new kids registiring daily. I don't doubt that we'll be up to 28 before school starts next week.

Last year when they hired a new teacher, the parents were so upset about splitting the class....you know getting a new teacher is great as long as it's not their child being moved into the new room....maybe they decided it wasn't worth the uproar to wait.....

19. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 26, 2010

I just interviewed for a teaching position at a school and found out that they are hiring a new teacher for each grade 1-5 and 2 for kinder. The school is in a new neighborhood and many of the parents are immigrants so there were a lot of late registrations. However, as someone without a job yet, I'm definitely not complaining.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

We'll find out on Monday when our school office re-opens how many registrations came in over the summer. Our principal is (I think) anticipating opening another class--she had the caretakers get an extra portable set up and ready to go.

21. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

This happened for the first three weeks at my first school! This is mainly how we got our pre-k enrollment there. "I'm here to register for Kindergarten." "Umm your child is FOUR mam- here is the pre-k room phone number."

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 26, 2010

My GS moved to a new school district this summer. One reason that people register late is that they do not know the proceedure. My daughter had to wait until the support staff at the new school returned to work, then she had to go twice to fill out paperwork.

23. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

Our kindergarten is having low numbers. We had 4 teachers last year, we're down to 3, and possibly there will only be 2 unless the numbers come up. Kind of scary. I'm hoping for late registrations. At our school, even the registered kids don't always start school on the first day. Last year I had about 8 of 14 the first day, then a couple more each day until everyone was there. I had two added during the year and one to leave. Many families are transitional between family members and a few immigrant. The main issue with students coming in at various times is routines and procedures are not as familiar with the newcomers. Our school is one that wants to begin everything the second week. I don't feel that the young ones are ready that soon, but oh well.......:mellow:

24. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

We started class on Thursday 8/26. Last Monday I had 10 on my roll. As of Friday I was up to 14. We have 4 teachers. We always have parents registering through September. They come to register without the proper paper work or their child isn't up to date with shots. They have to make a Dr's. appointment, get the shots and bring the correct records. We are on a 20:1 cap and my principal thinks we all be over that number by the end of September. We don't have a single classroom available for another Kindergarten!

25. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I realize there are extenuating circumstances sometimes. I really do. But it does make it frustrating. And I think about the children. Can you imagine being 5 and missing the first week of school? I hate walking into a room 10 minutes late, let alone a week late!