Waiting to hear back from an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by xjs, Jun 16, 2014.

1. xjs

xjs Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

Hi everybody,

I had an interview for a position on June 4th which I felt went extremely well. They informed me that a decision would be made in about a week. However, a week has gone by but I have not heard back. I sent a Thank you email the day of the interview. Today I sent a "follow up email" and I called once but wasn't able to reach the AP whom interviewed me (only talked to the secretary).

Has anybody else had an experience like this? I'm not sure if this is a no news is good news situation or not.

3. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jun 16, 2014

I know how hard the waiting is. I did that last summer, and it's no fun. The good news is that it has only been a week. Yes, they told you a decision would be made in a week, but there could be a ton of reasons why that got pushed back. I think it is good you followed up.

Last year, it was actually a month and a half before I heard back about one of my interviews. I thought for SURE they were not interested, but it turns out they were, and wanted me to come in again to do a demo lesson. But by this time, I had already accepted another position. And that call was later than they had said as well.

My advice would be to keep busy and keep looking. The call will come if they are interested. Good luck!

4. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 16, 2014

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this but I have almost an identical question.

But to respond to what you said, did they say they would let you know either way? That's key.

I would say at this point for you, you sent that follow up email, now move on to the next application and interview. They will let you know if they want you and there's really no way to know if no news is good news. They're probably really stinking busy. But, good luck!!! I hope you hear something soon and something good.

My question that is really similar to yours is I had an interview that I also thought went well, they said they would let me know by the end of the week. Well that was last week and now Monday has come and gone as well with no news. HOWEVER. SOMEbody called my principal for a reference. I assumed it was them because they were the only school I was waiting to hear back from post-interview, but my principal could not remember (agony of agonies) what the school's name was.

I have had 4 offers for interviews since then, is it possible that someone checked my references before interviewing me?

Would it be appropriate at this point to send that school an email asking where they are in the process? What should I say? (I did send a thank you email but no response.)

5. FaithDriven

FaithDriven Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I am actually in the same situation. I also had an interview on June 4th and they said they would let me know either way but I have yet to hear back. On the bright side, there has been no rejection letter and the job is still open.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2014

At this point, let it go. They will call you if you are their choice for the job. In the meantime, apply to EVERY public, private and charter school within a reasonable commute distance...even if openings aren't posted.

7. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jun 16, 2014

To willow: I don't think a principal would call references before interviewing you. I bet it was the school you interviewed at, and that is a good sign. I might give the e-mail a few more days. Was it Friday they said they would let you know by? Maybe wait until this Friday. Then follow up by restating your continued interest in the position and if they have a timetable for letting candidates know. Remember, they have so much going on this time of year.

FaithDriven, hang in there, and good luck! Like I said in my earlier post, it was a month and a half before I heard anything from my one interview. In the meantime, keep applying!

8. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I had an interview recently that was on a Tuesday, and the principal said that she would let me know by the end of the week or the next Monday. I didn't hear anything until the following Tuesday, and she still had not officially made a decision, she just let me know that it was taking longer than she expected. I finally heard from her that Sunday (almost two weeks later,) and she offered me the job. By then, I had already accepted another offer.

I don't think it's bad news that you haven't heard, and if they've checked your references, it's definitely good! I would just try to focus on continuing your search until you've heard either way.

9. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 17, 2014

Same boat. I had an interview on Monday (6/9) and I haven't heard a peep. It went really well so I'm constantly checking my email to see if any of my references have been contacted. Nope, not yet. On Friday I spoke with the secretary saying I hadn't asked about their timetable and she told me sometime this week. I just want to know either way. Waiting is so stressful and I have a family who does not understand at all. "When I was looking for a job, I would call every other day until I had an answer." You were working retail. This is a career. If I did that, I would really never find a job. I didn't want to call on Friday but got pressured into it. Ugh.

10. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

So glad I found this thread. I had an interview last week at my dream district! (One of the best in our state and where we live!) Anyhow, they were supposed to let us know today if we would be called in to teach a demo lesson next Monday. I heard nothing. Should I follow up with an email? How long do I wait before I send the email?
    Thank you all for your support and help. :)

11. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

If you haven't emailed them at all since the interview, I definitely don't think it would hurt to send them an email asking where they are in the hiring process and letting them know that you hope you're still being considered for the position. I think it just shows that you're interested and keeps your name in mind. Of course, if you've already contacted them a few times, I would definitely try to just let it go.

12. xjs

xjs Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

Just an update...the school posted a new job opening yesterday.

On June 4th I had interviewed for two positions and still hadn't heard back.

So I called this morning and spoke with the administrator from the interview. He told me they still had one opening and were interviewing candidates still. So that means they already filled the positions which I initially interviewed for.

I have no problem with that at all...I can handle the rejection. Just wish they would have informed me without me having to call.

There is still technically hope for this school but I am moving on.

13. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

So...this interview that I had was Thursday June 5th...they said they would get back to me either way by the end of the week (yes that would have been last Friday the 13th) I did send a thank you email, never heard back but on Friday my principal told me she got a reference call from a school so I assumed it was the one I interviewed at. But I don't think they've called any other references so.

Anyways...now it's Wednesday and I still haven't heard boo. Kinda feeling like, though they did say they would get back to me either way, I probably didn't get the job as it's been a while...waiting until this Friday to send an email about it seems like such a long tiimee!!! Especially because I really would like to let my boss know what I'm doing.

14. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Same. They said sometime this week. I've spent the last nine days biting my fingernails, carrying my cell around with the ringer turned on high, checking my email every thirty minutes, etc. The stress of waiting is enormous. My family starts every conversation with: if allaragallagher gets the job... I think it's pretty obvious I didn't. You don't hear of many people who wait two weeks to find out they've been hired.

15. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Oooh allara **hugs** hard when your family says things that get you all excited but they don't really understand the process

Have you kept going with other applications though?

Someone on here said they found out a month later the school wanted to hire them...!! But...yeah...I'm with you, it starts to seem unlikely after 2 weeks

16. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I would but around here hiring season is over. There hasn't been a new job posted in a few weeks. Hopefully one of the other 50 I applied to will call for an interview.

17. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Our is winding down too (Mass)

**hugs**

18. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you! I did send a thank you letter and an email with a presentation that I shared. Other than that, I have made no attempt at contact. What would you suggest I say? I feel like I always say the wrong things!

19. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

I'm tempted to email today. I'm going crazy. I almost went to the doctor to ask for something to calm me down. I just want to know! Soooo many decisions rest on this. If I don't, I'm not staying in this state. I have to move soon so I need to save every dime. In my yard sale this weekend, I can sell everything since I'll be living in a dorm situation at the hotel my brother works at. If I do get the job, I'm staying here until my lease runs out in April. I'll commute. I won't sell as much at my yard sale and I can spend the money on a new couch. So hurry up and make a decision! Why interview if you're so busy you can't sit down and talk about the candidates, make reference calls, etc. Or have you already and you just forgot to get back to me? Aaaahhhhhh!

20. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Hmm...maybe you should email them allaragallagher!!!

Maine......I miss Maine!

21. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

I called the superintendents office. The woman said no recommendation to the board had been made. So... I guess this school just has horrendous time management and is going to take a while to hire somebody.

22. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 19, 2014

OKOKOK i gave in. I emailed my waiting-school too...just now. lol Hope I get some kind of definite answer

23. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

I'm in the same boat. The interview seemed to go really well and I was asked by the P if I would be available to come back that evening to sign a contract. I expected to hear from her later that day. That was Wednesday. I sent an e-mail around 5 o'clock Wednesday evening thanking her for the interview and letting her know I'd spoken with my husband and looked forward to hearing from her.

It's now Friday and I still haven't heard anything.I'm scared to call but workingup the nerve.

Hopefully we'll both hear something soon.

24. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

Whoa Em_Catz! They asked if you could sign the contract? That sounds pretty good I have to say...

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

I thought so too but that was Wednesday morning and it's now Friday afternoon and I haven't heard anything. :( I did like u and emailed a thank you Wednesday afternoon and said I'd talked to my husband about the interview and look forward to speaking w/you. Nothing. :(

26. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

In my experiences most interviewers don't tell you anything at all. Out of 8 interviews only one emailed me telling me the position had been filled and the rest didn't even respond to my follow up email. I got used to it after the 3rd interview. The only one that actually called me was the one that hired me. It's crazy that we are expected to be so professional but the hiring committees can sometimes be very unprofessional.